PDA

View Full Version : Dump truck project f450 facelift

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Finally got on here to post some pictures from this hot busy season so far. I'll start off by showing pictures of truck and trailer and in a couple of days i will take pictures of the set up and work. Weve done a lot of buying and selling of equipment and pretty much trimmed the fat on the mowing crew (fat= about 18 gallons a week of gas in just mowers)

I bought this truck about 3 months ago with the help of you guys in the truck and trailer forum on lawnsite.
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344270&highlight=2000+f550

Here are some pictures of the before during and after the truck completion. I have a bunch more and still am working on it every night but here it goes.

The next steps are to install the two new 48" diamond plate tool boxes, re-wire reverse and utility lights(12v LED Spot lights) and lastly add a amber led corner lights to the sides.

Then build some nice wooden sides and letter those up nicely or use the aluminum sides i already have an letter those. Then come the strobes for the winter!!!!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Here are some more pictures or the truck

Cornell
08-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Looks a ton better!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-05-2011, 01:47 AM
well i would post more but cant seem to get pictures uploaded and they are only 600kbs

I will post our mowing rig, some paver jobs, and some drainage jobs and stripes tomorrow.

ochosdaddy
08-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Why the chrome? What was wrong with the stock cheapo grey? DOn't get me wrong, you've enhanced the apperance. To me a work truck is just that, no reason to get all fancy. I would have taken what ever money you put into the chrome into a body wrap instead. The wrap would bring in loads more work than a chrome grill ever will.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Why the chrome? What was wrong with the stock cheapo grey? DOn't get me wrong, you've enhanced the apperance. To me a work truck is just that, no reason to get all fancy. I would have taken what ever money you put into the chrome into a body wrap instead. The wrap would bring in loads more work than a chrome grill ever will.

I am into fleet uniformity. While wraps are nice, imo they are tacky and to much for the eye....... and also around 3400 dollars for a full wrap when i went to get a quote. :)

I like my white trucks with the green logo and the green dump bed, and if i grow larger all my trucks will be same color and lettered and painted the same.

My price list isnt that much, but the hours i have spent add up a lot

Chrome Bumper with valance and air dam: $115
Recon Cab lights: $55
Headlights: $159.99
Grille: $65
Paint Job and Undercoated POR 15 then undercoat on chassis: $900
VINYL: Free(I know owner very well)
Wheel Simulators: $120

I personally did the facelift for my own self. I believe that image says a lot about a company, and while many people dont think putting money into a front end and dressing the truck up a bit is worth it, i do.

To each their own, i didnt HAVE to do anything, but i WANTED to.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-05-2011, 02:05 AM
Also, one other part of my business is i wash the trucks once or twice weekly. I always get compliments that my trucks are so clean for having a landscape company and i like to keep it that way.

ANDDDDD. The grey stock bumper was rusting through and the headlights were not bright at all and were all cracked on the lenses

I enjoy working on trucks and this is something to keep me busy at nights and to prevent my truck from rusting through and lasting for years to come

ochosdaddy
08-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Neighboring lawn care business to me has his guys wash their trucks and trailers EVERY morning. He's very upset if they don't. Cleanest trucks around....I gotta get into the habit.

So what if a future truck has fender flares?

McG_Landscaping
08-05-2011, 08:43 AM
That is one bad @$$ looking truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
looks awesome!!

White Gardens
08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
My problem with all the chrome, especially the simulators, is that they can't be repaired easily if scuffed or dented.

I see LCO's run around with their simulators and such and it seems like a year later they look like junk just from normal use. Last winter I curbed one of my rear dually tires in a snow storm and bent the rim. All it took was a sledge hammer to beat it back. If I had a simulator on it, then it would have been trashed. All I had to do this spring was to take the wheel off and paint it and you can't even tell anything happened.

I'm a huge fan of the stock steel rims. Only because they are easy to paint when they get dingy.

Same for the chrome grill. Seems like they get beat up from rocks and debris just from driving down the road.

One landscaper mentioned to me one time, "If your quality of work is good or great then most people don't care what your equipment looks like, it doesn't have to look good to make you money."

But DLONG, to each their own, the truck does look good overall and will serve you well.

Falcon50EX
08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
well i would post more but cant seem to get pictures uploaded and they are only 600kbs

I will post our mowing rig, some paver jobs, and some drainage jobs and stripes tomorrow.

what I think are strobes on the front grill where did you get them and how much are they.

Does the truck run as good as it looks

eatonpcat
08-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Nice!!!!!!!!!

THIESSENS TLC
08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
nice office man!

Chevy z71
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Lookin sweet.

luis@NJ
08-05-2011, 03:14 PM
super nice truck looks sharp. hope mine will look like that!

SIWEL
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
stop arguing about simulators in get alcoas.....

The truck looks wayy better then stock, I really like what you did to it. Can't wait to see more pictures. I am also big into fleet uniformity, and I think what you did is fine and makes everything look good also.

Guzzo856
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
that truck is tight

zak406
08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Looks great it gives me ideas for when I get my next truck, way to go!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-05-2011, 05:05 PM
My problem with all the chrome, especially the simulators, is that they can't be repaired easily if scuffed or dented.

I see LCO's run around with their simulators and such and it seems like a year later they look like junk just from normal use. Last winter I curbed one of my rear dually tires in a snow storm and bent the rim. All it took was a sledge hammer to beat it back. If I had a simulator on it, then it would have been trashed. All I had to do this spring was to take the wheel off and paint it and you can't even tell anything happened.

I'm a huge fan of the stock steel rims. Only because they are easy to paint when they get dingy.

Same for the chrome grill. Seems like they get beat up from rocks and debris just from driving down the road.

One landscaper mentioned to me one time, "If your quality of work is good or great then most people don't care what your equipment looks like, it doesn't have to look good to make you money."

But DLONG, to each their own, the truck does look good overall and will serve you well.

White Gardens, i agree 100% about painting the steel rims. The reason i got new simulators was because the old simulators it had when i bought it had dings, scuffs and rust all over them from plowing. If anything happens to these rims i will just get the steel rims powder coated when i get new tires in a year or two.

When i think of my company, i think of 'better than the rest'. That goes for all the equipment, work especially , uniforms, literature, and personel. There are soooo many companies around me that dont care about any of that. I see 2-3 new crews mowing per day in a 10 square mile around my house that i have never seen before, that don't clean their equipment, have multi colors trailers and beat to hell trucks wearing cut off shirts or no shirts at all and a sig in their mouth mowing. While its not making me anymore money having nicer trucks, , it makes my image look better and more hirable and trustworthy to my customers and future clients wearing a uniform, in clean trucks with organized trailer set ups. PEOPLE NOTICE THE SMALL THINGS, ESPECIALLY IN THIS INDUSTRY.

Its my personal preference to have nice equipment, i dont need to have nice equipment to make money, but i want to make myself and my business presentable to look professional especially with my age and jobs i have been landing.

Also, white gardens(^this isnt all directed at you directly, just in general) but you do top quality work, you explain how you do things and what you prefer and i have learned a lot from your pictures and threads you have created. Hope your season is going good so far and good luck this summer keeping busy.

pitrack
08-05-2011, 05:15 PM
White Gardens, i agree 100% about painting the steel rims. The reason i got new simulators was because the old simulators it had when i bought it had dings, scuffs and rust all over them from plowing. If anything happens to these rims i will just get the steel rims powder coated when i get new tires in a year or two.

When i think of my company, i think of 'better than the rest'. That goes for all the equipment, work especially , uniforms, literature, and personel. There are soooo many companies around me that dont care about any of that. I see 2-3 new crews mowing per day in a 10 square mile around my house that i have never seen before, that don't clean their equipment, have multi colors trailers and beat to hell trucks wearing cut off shirts or no shirts at all and a sig in their mouth mowing. While its not making me anymore money having nicer trucks, , it makes my image look better and more hirable and trustworthy to my customers and future clients wearing a uniform, in clean trucks with organized trailer set ups. PEOPLE NOTICE THE SMALL THINGS, ESPECIALLY IN THIS INDUSTRY.

Its my personal preference to have nice equipment, i dont need to have nice equipment to make money, but i want to make myself and my business presentable to look professional especially with my age and jobs i have been landing.

Also, white gardens(^this isnt all directed at you directly, just in general) but you do top quality work, you explain how you do things and what you prefer and i have learned a lot from your pictures and threads you have created. Hope your season is going good so far and good luck this summer keeping busy.

I agree 100%, nice truck.

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Nice truck buddy!

White Gardens
08-05-2011, 06:57 PM

Like I said, to each their own. I'm sure half of the people who see this thread don't like the simulators, and the other half really likes them.

To me it's the money. There is absolutely no return on simulators from a financial perspective and I have other things I would spend my money on. That and it's really easy to ruin simulators, so I would hate to loose that money easily.

Keeping my rims and hubs painted lets me pull off the "detail" factor on my truck.

Skip the powder coat if you ever paint them. Just use a good can of spray paint and just hit them anytime you have the rims off. The powder coating will crack and chip up badly during any tire changes or curb checks. Guys around here were getting their truck dump bodies powder coated for a while. Then what happen is the paint cracked from the dump body use allowing moisture and salt under the paint and causing rust cancer that you couldn't even see. At least with an enamel or epoxy, you can see the areas when they start to rot and take care of them accordingly. Those guys with damage said it wasn't worth the money to powder coat their beds.

Thanks for the comments on the quality work. Also staying super busy and have now hired on one person and possibly another.

No need to toot my horn though, I know there are better scapers out there than me.

michiganmower10
08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
you got a good looking truck man and the update makes it look sweet, i notice your sig says your from birmingham, very nice city, I've been there a few times alot nicer neighbor hoods from where i grew up, Good Luck this season!

bobcat48
08-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Looks great,nice truck!

M RASCOE&SONS
08-05-2011, 10:42 PM
looks great man !!

GLS
08-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Wow, nice facelift! Truck looks awesome.

I'm with you 100% on having nice looking equipment. I think having a neat appearance is important in order to attract clientele that perceives your company as professional. Some companies may be overlooked by some people due to a not so neat appearance even if they are professional. It gives you an edge over the other guy.

I agree quality of work is #1, but having a nice looking fleet may lead to better job opportunities. Like going into a job interview; two people with the same qualifications but one dressed in a tshirt and one with a shirt and tie or a jacket...the better dressed person will have a better chance.

Anyways, nice truck!

theguynextdoor
08-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Truck looks great, but how did you cut 18 gallons per week off your lawn cutting?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Truck looks great, but how did you cut 18 gallons per week off your lawn cutting?

While, if the pictures would upload(which i cant figure out why they aren't) we switched up a lot this year with machines being sold and replaced and updated.
Last years set-up:
2007 Exmark Lazer Z 27hp KOHLER
2008 Exmark Lazer Z XS 60" 35HP VANGAURD
2010 Exmark Viking 36" 15hp KAWI

Spring Setup(which has all been sold) was:

2010 Exmark Vantage 52" 24HP KOHLER (SOLD)
2008 Exmark Lazer Z XS 60" 35HP VANGUARD (SOLD)
2010 Exmark Viking 36" 15HP KAWI (SOLD)

CURRENT SETUP:

2009 Exmark TTHP 48" 17 HP KAWI with 2 wheeled no flat sulky and bagger
2009 Exmark TTHP 48" 19HP ELECTRIC START KAWI with Proslide and mulch plate

The reason for the selling of machines was many reasons:
1) We could never have two mowers going at the same time on larger properties because the offset of mowing decks, so when the trimmer/edger/blower was done trimming i was still mowing for 10 minutes and was very unefficient.
2)on the small properties the 52" wouldnt fit in most gates so we were using 2 mowers of different sizes on the smaller ones and it took longer because one person could be mowing while the other was trimming/edging but instead we had to start two motors instead of one
3)The 60" Triton deck cut like **** and never left a clean cut. Sharpened the blades weekly, replaced every 3 weeks, went to exmark rep and had them fix pitch many many times(they said the deck was too heavy for the chain and it kept loosening and changing pitch)
4)The vantage killed my back after using it for one week, where i almost had to go see a doctor(poorly designed in my taste, the op is standing so much higher and doesnt absorb much shock at all
5)We used two full tank each week on the lazer(28 gallons), 1 1/2 tanks on the vantage(9 gallons) and 1/2 a tank on the viking(2.5 gallons) So a total of 25 gallons per

39.5 gallons of gas total used per week on average

Reasons for buying the 2 48" mowers
1) i got a killer deal ($3900 for both, the 19hp has 216 hours, and the other doesnt have a meter but is in better shape)
2) We can have two mowers going on larger properties leaving a quality cut rather than scalping/ruts/uneven/heavy stripe on the wheels from the weight
3) On smaller properties the 48" stripe IMO looks cleaner than the 52" or 60" and one guy can mow while other is trimming/edging
4) 48" decks fit through almost all gates we have, and if they don't we just use a trimmer(because its a stripe about 10 feet long by 3 feet along a side of a house where the dog goes to the bathroom)
5) Gas tanks last a lot longer. Both 5 gallon tanks last well into the late half of the week, and the 19hp sucks a little more than the 17hp but all in all we use about 20 ish gallons of fuel a week including mixed gas which is about 3.5 per week

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Trying to post pictures. Hope this works

Oakleaf landscape
08-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Where did you get the deal on the TT's? Iv been trying to pick up a pair but can't ever find them for a great price.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 12:49 AM
This is going to sound so shady, but i got them at a pawn shop. They were forsale on ebay about a month ago and i got both of them. I almost bought one for 3200 and i got both with attachments, blades, and fresh filters and oil for 3900. With flawlessly, knock on wood.

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Hey you cant upload your pics MOST LIKELY because they are too big. So you must save them as a smaller size. I do this alot because my camera takes the pics Realllyy big. Its worth a try!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 01:14 AM
I tried, got them down to 800kb's and still wouldnt work, i have literally 100 pics i could put up and non of them will work, tried resized each one and upload, and it just says upload failed.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 01:36 AM
GOT ONE TO GO! HERES ONE OF THE TTHP's

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 01:38 AM
For some reason i can only upload one at a time

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Some pictures of the bobcat(i am going to be soon buying 2004 675 hours on it s175, or 2007 t190 with 900 hours)

Some before, after and durings of a small paver job completed this spring and above is our first mulch job of the year earlier this year.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Couple 2ft long grass pictures before and after, my lawn in the early spring before any fert, and some of the dumps back up/spot lights and LED marker lights

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Some summer stripes

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 01:55 AM
More lawns

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Some shots of a fire upnorth with the 48" bobcat classic stripes, favorite view in the world, pic of a full maintenance account, the bunny house i build my gf(on the right) with a small paver pad(made out of house brick sideways for $ savings) job only cost me about 15 hours of labor which included staining the cage after.

Last pic is some stripes after it rained on us

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 02:06 AM
more lawns

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 02:08 AM
most striping of the horrible shape grass from the heat we have been having. Hopefully the rain will start greening up the nonirrigated lawns

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Another of the lawns, another of the paver job from spring, another paver job we are in the midst of doing. Demo is fully done, grade is shot and leveled, and 21AA and GEO FABRIC is down. Deck is town out and footings were dug out.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 02:26 AM
ACCOUNTS AND EQUIPMENT and new trimmer and edger this spring

KrayzKajun
08-06-2011, 09:12 AM
very nice! love the F450

scagrider22
08-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Your pretty brave for putting that skid loader in your mowing trailer. It wont last long if you do that very often. Equipment looks good though.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-06-2011, 11:27 AM
the trailer has 5200lb axles, 3" channel all along the whole length, and 1" squar tubed sides. Its pleanty big enough to handle a 7k lb loader. The only thing i would have changed was the back gate and had the metal kick stand and also put my drop hitch on for the dump because it was angled up a lot!

I dont haul bobcats much, usually a small dingo or vermeer. But if i do get a skid i will get an equipment trailer with racks for pallet forks, and an auger bit. But thats in the want list for now

SDelPrete
08-06-2011, 01:48 PM
nice pics...the ford looks great

Chevy z71
08-06-2011, 03:08 PM
most striping of the horrible shape grass from the heat we have been having. Hopefully the rain will start greening up the nonirrigated lawns

Like this house with the fence.:)

dchrom
08-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Do you find that you are quicker on the walkbehinds then the lazers? We went from having two walkers and switched to the 48" turf tracers. Cut our time down on properties alot. I have 3 now all with around 1500 hrs on them so you should be able to get alot out of yours.

michiganmower10
08-06-2011, 05:04 PM
ACCOUNTS AND EQUIPMENT and new trimmer and edger this spring

nice redmax's, i noticed the shindaiwa on the rack, that a 231 or a 261? did you have shindaiwa's before the redmax's? everything looks good:usflag:

scagrider22
08-06-2011, 05:22 PM
the trailer has 5200lb axles, 3" channel all along the whole length, and 1" squar tubed sides. Its pleanty big enough to handle a 7k lb loader. The only thing i would have changed was the back gate and had the metal kick stand and also put my drop hitch on for the dump because it was angled up a lot!

I dont haul bobcats much, usually a small dingo or vermeer. But if i do get a skid i will get an equipment trailer with racks for pallet forks, and an auger bit. But thats in the want list for now

Sorry bud but your trailer has 3500 lb axles and after the weight of the trailer that leaves you about 5200 lbs that you can haul. 5 lug utility trailers almost always have 3500 lb axles then I looked at Sure tracs web site and the only available axle for that size trailer is 3500 lb.

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry bud but your trailer has 3500 lb axles and after the weight of the trailer that leaves you about 5200 lbs that you can haul. 5 lug utility trailers almost always have 3500 lb axles then I looked at Sure tracs web site and the only available axle for that size trailer is 3500 lb.

Guys! Guys! Chill out no big deal! :dizzy::dizzy:
I have hauled my 7k skid on my trailer too MANY TIMES! With a 8ft snow pusher No problems! Almost same trailer!
And my trailer is made from angle iron which has been beefed up to handle the worse conditions!

KE-llc
08-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I love the truck an two 48"s! perfect setup for your properties imo
Posted via Mobile Device

oakwdman
08-06-2011, 11:58 PM
LOVE the tthp's. I have 2 right now myself, both are 19hp's electric starts and one is actually propane. I don't find standers to be much faster on my properties and I've tried many times. Pro-slide's are the sh*t too, leaves the best stripes, I wouldn't trade mine for anything!

Only thing you're missing now is a white enclosed.

Falcon50EX
08-07-2011, 08:00 AM
LOVE the tthp's. I have 2 right now myself, both are 19hp's electric starts and one is actually propane. I don't find standers to be much faster on my properties and I've tried many times. Pro-slide's are the sh*t too, leaves the best stripes, I wouldn't trade mine for anything!

? How are the Pro-slide's on the mower? I have thought about it but what has stopped me is now the mower is dragging me to.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Like this house with the fence.:)

wish we had more lawns that looks like this, i am going to advertise next year for just irrigated lawns and have a irrigation start up/shut down factored into the lawn price/proposal.

This lawn is long two days after we cut it though

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Do you find that you are quicker on the walkbehinds then the lazers? We went from having two walkers and switched to the 48" turf tracers. Cut our time down on properties alot. I have 3 now all with around 1500 hrs on them so you should be able to get alot out of yours.

It is much quicker with the 48's walkbehind rather than 60 z's .I have found that it knocks a bunch of trimming because we can get closer to objects without hitting and ruining or ripping up turf with the Z. We have shortened up our route almost an hour each day. And the lawns look better and are healthier with the heavy z not being used.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Guys! Guys! Chill out no big deal! :dizzy::dizzy:
I have hauled my 7k skid on my trailer too MANY TIMES! With a 8ft snow pusher No problems! Almost same trailer!
And my trailer is made from angle iron which has been beefed up to handle the worse conditions!

says 5200 right on the axles and title. I had this trailer custom build and had a thread about it too.

The trailer that i bought came stock with no side gate, 3500lb axles, one brake on the tandem axles instead of on both axles, no tool box upfront, and angle iron rails and gate

What i ordered mine with was:
-5200lb axles
-Side Gate
-Brakes on both with a break away kit(needed for DOT in michigan)
-Heavy Duty 1" Tubing ramp
-1" Tubing Rails
-Tool Box
-Radial tires

lmk if you have any more questions

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 10:56 PM

I love the tthps too, cut great, electric start is the way to go too! I hate standers they kill my back, i demoed the scag v ride, hustler, wright , exmark, and ferris evolution and they all hurt my back by the end of the day and really hurt by the end of day 2.

I saw a propane model on ebay i almost got, where can you get the propane refilled? Special propane centers?

I love proslides, the only negative part is when you stop to fast and it slips and you feel like your going to fall.

Funny you said that about the enclosed. I have been looking for the last week for an enclosed because my 16ft trailer is way to long for 2tthps, i am looking for a white cargo mate or pace enclosed, 14x7 v nose extended toungue. That way i wouldnt have to load and unload everything and could use the landscape trailer for LANDSCAPING and not mowing anymore.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 11:01 PM
? How are the Pro-slide's on the mower? I have thought about it but what has stopped me is now the mower is dragging me to.

PROSLIDES ARE AMAZING. I WOULD NEVER RUN A DIFFERENT SULKY,VELKY, OR RIDE BEHIND AGAIN!

If you have a hydro mower there is no problem with a rider, im around 195lbs and pulls me like nothing is there. The Proslide strips like nothing else i have every seen either. Even fescue stripes like blue grass and rye.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I love the truck an two 48"s! perfect setup for your properties imo
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, 60" Mowers on my small littler resi's was over kill. Plus, properties look way better now

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Here is more of that paver job earlier this year. I have a bunch more photos from a big retaining wall and a water feature we did on my dads camera, cant find the memory card though.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 11:19 PM
nice redmax's, i noticed the shindaiwa on the rack, that a 231 or a 261? did you have shindaiwa's before the redmax's? everything looks good:usflag:

Thanks, i love the redmax's but they give me trouble starting almost every day even when they are hot they need to be choked. Dealer says everything is working as it should.

I have 4 shindaiwas, the blue one on the rack is the 261, i also have a t282 with a bent trimmer shaft from someone trying to steal it last year out of the greentouch trimmer rack, then i had the c4 24cc and 34cc which were garbage. they never started good and ran like **** too, the 34cc was extreamly heavy and had an extreamly long shaft that was so uncomfortable.

I like the 261, starts up first pull every time, doesnt need to be choked at all when hot and has a perfect length shaft.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 11:28 PM
found some pictures from when i was 15-16 with a 5x10 tsc trailer, and a 48" exmark metro i got for 1500 at a dealer one year old, demo'd

pb755t echo blower(only lasted a season with 15 lawns and a john deere trimmer/edger/hedger combo with custom built racks :)

Also, a job from this year. 4 out of 6 leaky/sticky valves would run slowly all day or wouldnt turn on. Replaced all of them, dug the hole deeper and filled 3" of granite stone and re-wired.

oakwdman
08-08-2011, 02:19 AM
I love the tthps too, cut great, electric start is the way to go too! I hate standers they kill my back, i demoed the scag v ride, hustler, wright , exmark, and ferris evolution and they all hurt my back by the end of the day and really hurt by the end of day 2.
I'm 6'1" or so and the only standers I've been uncomfortable on has been the grandstands/vantage others havent been too bad, just too heavy for my accounts.
I saw a propane model on ebay i almost got, where can you get the propane refilled? Special propane centers?
was it from a guy in IL? probably the same guy I got mine from..
I just go anywhere that fills tanks, its kind of a pita but some people eat up the "green" stuff and I get a lot of comments on the mower.
I love proslides, the only negative part is when you stop to fast and it slips and you feel like your going to fall.
That and when you stop when you're going downhill, I almost sh*t my pants the first time that happened to me lol

Funny you said that about the enclosed. I have been looking for the last week for an enclosed because my 16ft trailer is way to long for 2tthps, i am looking for a white cargo mate or pace enclosed, 14x7 v nose extended toungue. That way i wouldnt have to load and unload everything and could use the landscape trailer for LANDSCAPING and not mowing anymore.
If you can find a Wells Cargo I'd go that route, they seem to be much better built and hold up. It's all I'll EVER buy. I love having everything that I need with me at all times, its like a rolling shop. Plus at the end of the day I just lock the sh*t out of it and park it, no unloading or tarping. I would like an open utility/equip trailer in the not too distant future though, they do have their place thats for sure.

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Here is more of that paver job earlier this year. I have a bunch more photos from a big retaining wall and a water feature we did on my dads camera, cant find the memory card though.

Nice stuff! Hey what software did you use here??

ChevHayes
08-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Love the look of the newer front ends

KE-llc
08-08-2011, 11:30 PM
paint the open the same green as the dump body ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-09-2011, 02:20 AM
If you can find a Wells Cargo I'd go that route, they seem to be much better built and hold up. It's all I'll EVER buy. I love having everything that I need with me at all times, its like a rolling shop. Plus at the end of the day I just lock the sh*t out of it and park it, no unloading or tarping. I would like an open utility/equip trailer in the not too distant future though, they do have their place thats for sure.

wells cargo was actually cheaper. 4300 otd for a heavy duty 14x7. Does that sound too cheap for a brand new trailer.

If i keep growing like i have been, im off the mowing crew next year and doing estimates,bids, and sales all next year when not doing landscape jobs.

Equipment trailers in general are good because they can carry anything, you can set them up how you want and can carry mini ex's, bobcats, tractors, and cars even.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-09-2011, 02:21 AM
paint the open the same green as the dump body ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

i would love to but once the paint start flaking and i need to repaint it. Its only a year old so far. I want to get a white enclosed and paint it green and letter the **** out of it.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-09-2011, 02:22 AM
Nice stuff! Hey what software did you use here??

its google sketchup, free download online.

Not too professional but its gets the idea of the design pretty well. I have dyna scape finally but doesnt install on mac, so im dreading buying another computer after i spend 2200 on a program.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Some finished pictures of the job from today. Not the best because there is no where to take a decent picture.

bobcat48
08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Some finished pictures of the job from today. Not the best because there is no where to take a decent picture.

looks great.

Nick's Lawn Care
08-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Hows that dump treating you? Im about to buy a dump that looks just like that, an 00' F-450, 7.3L, 8'6" meyer/diamond plow, 12' dump bed, 120k miles for 10k, looks just like your truck minus the green paint.

Ohh and its got no little to no rust, was a southern truck up until 100k miles, just has one plowing season under its belt.

deere615
08-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Everything looks amazing work and that dump truck!! Did that hurt your trailer gate at all taking the bobcat up it?

michiganmower10
08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks, i love the redmax's but they give me trouble starting almost every day even when they are hot they need to be choked. Dealer says everything is working as it should.

I have 4 shindaiwas, the blue one on the rack is the 261, i also have a t282 with a bent trimmer shaft from someone trying to steal it last year out of the greentouch trimmer rack, then i had the c4 24cc and 34cc which were garbage. they never started good and ran like **** too, the 34cc was extreamly heavy and had an extreamly long shaft that was so uncomfortable.

I like the 261, starts up first pull every time, doesnt need to be choked at all when hot and has a perfect length shaft.

I got a ancient redmax i use and still starts first or second pull, i dont know if you know where this is but i was going to Billings Power Equipment this spring to get a new T261 and LE261 and thats when i found out they were discontinued along with a bunch of other models, guy at the dealer told me it was probably because echo bought them out, as far as shindaiwas i have the smaller 242 and 230 and they are well ballanced, in the process of rebuilding the T230 though

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Hows that dump treating you? Im about to buy a dump that looks just like that, an 00' F-450, 7.3L, 8'6" meyer/diamond plow, 12' dump bed, 120k miles for 10k, looks just like your truck minus the green paint.

Ohh and its got no little to no rust, was a southern truck up until 100k miles, just has one plowing season under its belt.

Love the dump truck. We did over 200 yards of mulch this year. Last year we were using the equipment trailer and loading with shovels and wheel barrels and we could do about a yard and hour with two guys. Now with the dump truck, two wheel barrels and two guys we can do around 3.5-5 yards per hour depending on how far we have to take it. Our biggest mulch job was 14 yards and it was 10 tripple shred hardwood and 4 undied chips for under a playset and with all the travel and edging and weeding it took a little over 4 hours to complete. Would have taken us over a day to complete last year.

Good luck with the truck, make sure to take it to a mechanic before you buy it to check everything mechanical out. This was my 3rd choice and im glad i waited and checked the other two out. People dont take car of engines the way they should and a lot can go wrong with turbos, gaskets, manifolds and seals.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-15-2011, 12:15 AM
I got a ancient redmax i use and still starts first or second pull, i dont know if you know where this is but i was going to Billings Power Equipment this spring to get a new T261 and LE261 and thats when i found out they were discontinued along with a bunch of other models, guy at the dealer told me it was probably because echo bought them out, as far as shindaiwas i have the smaller 242 and 230 and they are well ballanced, in the process of rebuilding the T230 though

Billlngs Power Equipment is the WORST place to buy, and fix equipment. I life 5 miles away from them and refuse to go to the close place from how they have treated me in the past. I use weingartz which is a 30 min drive just because they treat me like the NEED my business and have extreamly quick turn around times and give me demo mowers if a mower is in the shop getting fixed. Plus they have a bigger inventory and nicer people to work with

i.e. Call to check on an order. "Hi, im calling about my redmax ebz8050 blower i dropped off the other day to see if its done"

Guy on the phone says: "I dont know what your talking about"

Me: "I dropped my blower off to get fixed, can you check on my order its under delong"

Guy on phone: "I dont know what your talking about, theres many blowers in here do you have the serial number"

Me: "No im in the car, Can you please look up my name and find the order number"

Guy on phone: "No"

Me: "Well how can i find out about my blower"

Guy on phone:(using a loud tone somehwat yelling) "i dont know you tell me"

Me:(starting to get mad now) "Can i talk to the guy i dropped the blower off too"

Guy on phone: "Im the guy you talked to"

Me: "No, the young guy"

Guy on phone: (screaming)"I dont know what your talking about, you need to watch your attitude sir"

Me: "Are you f'ing joking, im calling to see if my blower is repaired and you dont know how to find that out and you are working in service. Then you yell at me and tell me i have an attitude problem"(then i hang up, go in the store and the guy i talked to is sitting right next to the young guy i dropped my blower off to and he know just what to )

This has happened 3 times and i have never gone back after the blower repair time. I will never give them one more cent of business ever.

Go to weingartz or rochester lawn and snow. Family owned, happy people and would love to do business with anyone.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Everything looks amazing work and that dump truck!! Did that hurt your trailer gate at all taking the bobcat up it?

Thank man, your work and equipment always looks great too. The mesh sagged a little bit in between supports but not much. If i did it a whole bunch of times repeatededly the mesh would most likely push through.

I ideally want to sell this equipment trailer, buy an enclosed 14ft-16ft v nose and a 16ft equipment trailer when i get a bobcat but that wont be for another year or so. I like having a whole bunch of savings and 401k deposits rather than a payment each month or big amount gone for now. Just rent when i need it for now

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Thank man, your work and equipment always looks great too. The mesh sagged a little bit in between supports but not much. If i did it a whole bunch of times repeatededly the mesh would most likely push through.

I ideally want to sell this equipment trailer, buy an enclosed 14ft-16ft v nose and a 16ft equipment trailer when i get a bobcat but that wont be for another year or so. I like having a whole bunch of savings and 401k deposits rather than a payment each month or big amount gone for now. Just rent when i need it for now

you should be renting it from cat in novi since you're in bham. That way all the money you are spending goes towards your skidsteer that you want to buy. Then you bill the customer for your rental so you could of had prob 1k or more off of your skid already!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
08-15-2011, 02:59 AM
you should be renting it from cat in novi since you're in bham. That way all the money you are spending goes towards your skidsteer that you want to buy. Then you bill the customer for your rental so you could of had prob 1k or more off of your skid already!

quick question. I know the dealer your talking about and i have looked at skids there before.

When you rent a piece of equipment. Lets say its 300 per day. You rent it for a week. Thats 2100 dollars. Does that credit an account there to take 2100 dollars off of a skid steer if you were to purchase it there?

Right now, i dont have the jobs to justify a purchase such as a skid. I mean, i would use it for so many jobs to make it easier but its not NEEDED per say. If i get some of the bigger apartment complex's i have been bidding on for 2 years now(came close to winning one last year) i will be able to justify a purchase because i will have the winter months income to pay it off but the funds get pretty slow in the winter time. Seems like everyone with a truck around me plows and advertises 75 dollars per driveway for the season which i will never do!

cuttin-to-the-Max
08-15-2011, 04:40 AM
quick question. I know the dealer your talking about and i have looked at skids there before.

When you rent a piece of equipment. Lets say its 300 per day. You rent it for a week. Thats 2100 dollars. Does that credit an account there to take 2100 dollars off of a skid steer if you were to purchase it there?

Right now, i dont have the jobs to justify a purchase such as a skid. I mean, i would use it for so many jobs to make it easier but its not NEEDED per say. If i get some of the bigger apartment complex's i have been bidding on for 2 years now(came close to winning one last year) i will be able to justify a purchase because i will have the winter months income to pay it off but the funds get pretty slow in the winter time. Seems like everyone with a truck around me plows and advertises 75 dollars per driveway for the season which i will never do!

lol in west Bloomfield there is a company going for 125 includes front walk, sidewalk and Salting of the drive. If the guy showed up to all of them in a timely matter i would just sub all of mine out and wait for the cash! But he doesnt always show up!

But yeah for the skid steer you have your own account so when you go in there and rent one they put it on your account. (In your case you could just keep renting them for your odds and ends jobs, and rank up the credits!)

For us we Lease to own them they are 800 a month. We use our 3 skids that we rent for mulch and everything all season so we just lease them out. This way they do all maintenance and such. while we just put all these hours on their machine. Once we have paid off their machine we return it and Get a BRAND NEW one to keep. Minimum is 800 a month we pay a little more just because......i guess we can and dont want to lease one out forever.

deere615
08-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Glad I am not the only one that saves $$ too!! Ya I built a new gate for mine but its still a bit iffy taking my bobcat tractor on it, Someday I will probably get a deckover trailer

michiganmower10
08-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Billlngs Power Equipment is the WORST place to buy, and fix equipment. I life 5 miles away from them and refuse to go to the close place from how they have treated me in the past. I use weingartz which is a 30 min drive just because they treat me like the NEED my business and have extreamly quick turn around times and give me demo mowers if a mower is in the shop getting fixed. Plus they have a bigger inventory and nicer people to work with

i.e. Call to check on an order. "Hi, im calling about my redmax ebz8050 blower i dropped off the other day to see if its done"

Me: "I dropped my blower off to get fixed, can you check on my order its under delong"

Guy on phone: "I dont know what your talking about, theres many blowers in here do you have the serial number"

Me: "No im in the car, Can you please look up my name and find the order number"

Me:(starting to get mad now) "Can i talk to the guy i dropped the blower off too"

Guy on phone: (screaming)"I dont know what your talking about, you need to watch your attitude sir"

Me: "Are you f'ing joking, im calling to see if my blower is repaired and you dont know how to find that out and you are working in service. Then you yell at me and tell me i have an attitude problem"(then i hang up, go in the store and the guy i talked to is sitting right next to the young guy i dropped my blower off to and he know just what to )

This has happened 3 times and i have never gone back after the blower repair time. I will never give them one more cent of business ever.

Go to weingartz or rochester lawn and snow. Family owned, happy people and would love to do business with anyone.

Wow sorry that happened, not good service to a paying customer, its been a while since me or my dad has done buisness with them, last time we were there it was work was done as part of a warranty, thats never happened to me or my dad there but like i said its been a while since ive been there, ill check out that rochester lawn and snow, the blower i got is actually from weingartz-bought there over 10 yrs ago and still running, does rochester lawn and snow have shindaiwa? and how did you like your 282 before it got wrecked? i am lookin for new handhelds but with shindaiwa eliminated so many models i dont want to buy something that is a pain in the ass, i thought about looking for the old models online to see if i could find any but im not sure what direction i want to go in yet:dizzy:

gunsworth
10-20-2011, 12:04 AM

They installed my dump box in my truck for the previous owner (friend of mine)

and after going through 3 fuel pumps in 2 years i found that they drilled into my fuel filler neck when installing the box (so all my bulk salt water funneled into it during the winter)

I also never go them, Terry at weingartz has been giving my dad great service for 20 years now, and i naturally stuck with him upon buying my company. They also have gotten so big they are buying out distributors and have unbeatable prices.

BTW thought you were gonna take out some traffic lights driving down Rochester road today with the dumpbed up lol :laugh: what happened with that?

gunsworth
10-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Wow sorry that happened, not good service to a paying customer, its been a while since me or my dad has done buisness with them, last time we were there it was work was done as part of a warranty, thats never happened to me or my dad there but like i said its been a while since ive been there, ill check out that rochester lawn and snow, the blower i got is actually from weingartz-bought there over 10 yrs ago and still running, does rochester lawn and snow have shindaiwa? and how did you like your 282 before it got wrecked? i am lookin for new handhelds but with shindaiwa eliminated so many models i dont want to buy something that is a pain in the ass, i thought about looking for the old models online to see if i could find any but im not sure what direction i want to go in yet:dizzy:

Rochester lawn has shindaiwa, and is another great company (roch lawn, not shindy, i switched to redmax and never looked back, aside from swapping speedfeed heads on)

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Rochester lawn has shindaiwa, and is another great company (roch lawn, not shindy, i switched to redmax and never looked back, aside from swapping speedfeed heads on)

TURF STEWARD!!!!! I see you all around town all the time. You do some great work with some clean stripes. I love the stainless dump insert as well. We should get together sometime. I got a few questions for you. I use the weingartz in Clarkston, they all know me by first name, give me loaners if a machine is in and treat me very well. Thats bs about the fuel pump as well, they all are hilbillies in there for some reason, the owner needs to find a new staff(for billings).

I have a quick question for you. Does your dad own Landscape Creations? I heard through one of my employess that he does and you have that Turf Steward. Im just curious, if he did, why not join up with him? Does greed play a rool?

PM me if you dont wanna share.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-20-2011, 02:49 PM
They installed my dump box in my truck for the previous owner (friend of mine)

and after going through 3 fuel pumps in 2 years i found that they drilled into my fuel filler neck when installing the box (so all my bulk salt water funneled into it during the winter)

I also never go them, Terry at weingartz has been giving my dad great service for 20 years now, and i naturally stuck with him upon buying my company. They also have gotten so big they are buying out distributors and have unbeatable prices.

BTW thought you were gonna take out some traffic lights driving down Rochester road today with the dump bed up lol :laugh: what happened with that?

ABOUT THE DUMP BEING STUCK OPEN!!!!! HAHAHA. i cant believe you saw that. We went on side streets all the way to advanced supply where i know the owners who help me out with a loader. My solenoid valve locked up on the down pressure cylinder so it wouldn't release the valve to let the fluid out so it was soo pressurized and i didnt want to unscrew the line and have fluid go everywhere and have the bed slam down. I took it to Advanced and Russ, the owner, put a loader underneath it and figured it all out for me. Its at Clyde's right now getting worked on, plow mount was loose, the line and solenoid are being fixed, and I'm getting my leaf loader mount beefed up a little bit.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-20-2011, 02:50 PM

i did the same thing this year. I run two redmax 29cc trimmers with speed feeds, the only way to go.

gunsworth
10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
ABOUT THE DUMP BEING STUCK OPEN!!!!! HAHAHA. i cant believe you saw that. We went on side streets all the way to advanced supply where i know the owners who help me out with a loader. My solenoid valve locked up on the down pressure cylinder so it wouldn't release the valve to let the fluid out so it was soo pressurized and i didnt want to unscrew the line and have fluid go everywhere and have the bed slam down. I took it to Advanced and Russ, the owner, put a loader underneath it and figured it all out for me. Its at Clyde's right now getting worked on, plow mount was loose, the line and solenoid are being fixed, and I'm getting my leaf loader mount beefed up a little bit.

ahahha, I just dropped off my new backup truck at clydes this morning, seems like we both know the right places to go.

As for the other question, my dad owns Creations In Landscaping. I put in my time throughout HS and college, after graduating I put in a couple more years while trying to find a job (nothing offered more than I made from him). At the time he shared a building with Turf Steward (we became friends with the owner who's about my age over the years when we ran out of secured storage, along with sherwood, mcewen, and LGM it was like a big landscaper party there some nights lol) I put in enough time and got tired of having the carrot dangled in front of me, and with no signs of getting more share of my dads company, I bought out Turf Steward when the owners wife got a big promotion/transfer to Colorado.

Thanks for the compliment, you guys do some good work too, not a whole lot of good stripers out there considering the area we work.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-20-2011, 05:32 PM
That looks way better!

KLC LAWN
10-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Awesome, love the theme and logo etc, great job

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
ahahha, I just dropped off my new backup truck at clydes this morning, seems like we both know the right places to go.

As for the other question, my dad owns Creations In Landscaping. I put in my time throughout HS and college, after graduating I put in a couple more years while trying to find a job (nothing offered more than I made from him). At the time he shared a building with Turf Steward (we became friends with the owner who's about my age over the years when we ran out of secured storage, along with sherwood, mcewen, and LGM it was like a big landscaper party there some nights lol) I put in enough time and got tired of having the carrot dangled in front of me, and with no signs of getting more share of my dads company, I bought out Turf Steward when the owners wife got a big promotion/transfer to Colorado.

Thanks for the compliment, you guys do some good work too, not a whole lot of good stripers out there considering the area we work.

Thats a crazy situation that worked out well it seems. I love the simplicity of your logo and the whole image. How big is your dads company if you dont mind me asking, i see the box truck all throughout my girlfriends neighborhood. They run some older exmarks that sure cut well. I actually talk with them from time to time. It kills me to see a father and son business split because of greed and money. Thats how empires are started. Family members pushing eachother to pursue a multi million dollar company down the road.
Do you think you will ever inherit his business/accounts/equipment when he desides to retire? or is this sorta like his retirement business. Running operations and not being in the field?

About the striping in our are. Its honestly a joke the people around us who call them selves landscaper/lawn mowers. Shitty work, and people hire them again and again and again. Then hire the next **** hole company after they get sick of grass clumps and a shitty looking lawn. How many accounts did you inhearit from Turf Stewards previous owner? Im looking to find a shop but i cant justify it when i have 4 acres in bloomfield hills with a garage(right off of forest lane actually) that i can use for free(my gf's dads second home)

Do you think sherwood does good work? or LGM? I personally think their maintenance side of the business sucks. They dont stripe at all, they normally overlap 30% of the deck over the last cut. LGM "Lazy Gay Mexicans" Always looks so sketchy when i drive by their shop. I have a couple commercials on fernlee in royal oak.

Where does sherwood keep their equipment? That guy live in my neighborhood?

Id love to meet up with you and discuss business and everything in our area, seems like i cant network with anyone. Im having lunch with the owner of Four Season's soon(one of my neighbors is a good friend of his) and i am very exicted to be mentored by one of the best in our area.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Alright, the last thing to go wrong in the dump truck and it did!!!!! The dump mechanism and scissor lift are having some issues and im in a predicament!

So for the last month or so, i noticed the dump cyllinder bracket to hold the bottom of the cyllinder down cracked off where it connects to the bottom of the sleeve. This has been a problem i have worked through but now last week my bed was able to move up but not power backdown and was stuck up until i released all hoses and let fluid out of the ram.

Sooooo..... I took it to clydes a local trailer and frame shop in pontiac and they ended up telling me that everything was locked up and that tehy need to rip everything out and replace everything. The total cost the quoted was 3950 dollars. I told them that i will not be forking over 4 grand for a new dump compondents and if some part of it was broken, fix what is there. He told me they could have a whole day of labor with 2 guys trying to figure it out and they still might not find the problem.

Pretty much he was telling me he didnt want to f u ck with it and that everything is to screwed up to fix.

So i started calling around.

I called monroe truck in Flint and talked to the service rep and then a salesmen. The service rep told me that he was trying to screw me and charge a lot more than he should. The sales guy quoted me for a new 5" scissor lift 5 ton lift capacity and said it would be around 2800 installed.

My feeling is that it could be fixed, not replacing everything but fixing what is there. it worked fine all year. This was the last thing that i havent touched . I grease everything once a week while in use and i take care of everything on this truck. I have gone through the whole truck again and again and the truck is pretty much new now , besides the dump components. Once it gets fixed i will have a problem less truck.

What do you guys thing it could be. Its a power up, power down ram. Took both hoses off and it when up and down no problem with a front end loader's help. What i think it is, but im not mechanically inclined per say. but i think its the down solenoid gone bad. The problem is, when i pressed the down buttom everything sounded fine and it didnt squeak or tick or anything..

Let me know your two sense. I need this truck by next week tuesday. Well really tomorrow but i can be without it for this week if worst comes to worse. Im installing an irrigation system thur and fri and will take pics but let me know what i should do about the dump

dtriv89
10-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Alright, the last thing to go wrong in the dump truck and it did!!!!! The dump mechanism and scissor lift are having some issues and im in a predicament!

So for the last month or so, i noticed the dump cyllinder bracket to hold the bottom of the cyllinder down cracked off where it connects to the bottom of the sleeve. This has been a problem i have worked through but now last week my bed was able to move up but not power backdown and was stuck up until i released all hoses and let fluid out of the ram.

Sooooo..... I took it to clydes a local trailer and frame shop in pontiac and they ended up telling me that everything was locked up and that tehy need to rip everything out and replace everything. The total cost the quoted was 3950 dollars. I told them that i will not be forking over 4 grand for a new dump compondents and if some part of it was broken, fix what is there. He told me they could have a whole day of labor with 2 guys trying to figure it out and they still might not find the problem.

Pretty much he was telling me he didnt want to f u ck with it and that everything is to screwed up to fix.

So i started calling around.

I called monroe truck in Flint and talked to the service rep and then a salesmen. The service rep told me that he was trying to screw me and charge a lot more than he should. The sales guy quoted me for a new 5" scissor lift 5 ton lift capacity and said it would be around 2800 installed.

My feeling is that it could be fixed, not replacing everything but fixing what is there. it worked fine all year. This was the last thing that i havent touched . I grease everything once a week while in use and i take care of everything on this truck. I have gone through the whole truck again and again and the truck is pretty much new now , besides the dump components. Once it gets fixed i will have a problem less truck.

What do you guys thing it could be. Its a power up, power down ram. Took both hoses off and it when up and down no problem with a front end loader's help. What i think it is, but im not mechanically inclined per say. but i think its the down solenoid gone bad. The problem is, when i pressed the down buttom everything sounded fine and it didnt squeak or tick or anything..

Let me know your two sense. I need this truck by next week tuesday. Well really tomorrow but i can be without it for this week if worst comes to worse. Im installing an irrigation system thur and fri and will take pics but let me know what i should do about the dump

It's amazing how much $$ you'll drop into a used dump truck ain't it? I can relate. It sounds similar to what I ran into with my dump about 2 months back, but I didn't have any visible cracks/damage outside of the rust i was already aware of. I'm sure you've already thought of/tried it, but in my case it ended up just needing to be cleaned up and greased. Goodluck, man, hope it works out for you.

knox gsl
10-25-2011, 12:28 AM
It sounds like you have a valve problem. Remove one pin from the cylinder while the bed is up and see if it will move then. If not check into your valves.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-25-2011, 11:08 PM
It sounds like you have a valve problem. Remove one pin from the cylinder while the bed is up and see if it will move then. If not check into your valves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valve problem meaning in the hydaulic ram? Or in the power unit pumping the oil into the hoses. I greased the **** out of the nipples and everything. But i cant test anything because one of the hoses are cracked so oil just leaks out of it as soon as either up or down button is pushed.

Anyone know where to find reasonable price hydraulic hoses? They have to be custom made right?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-25-2011, 11:11 PM
It's amazing how much $$ you'll drop into a used dump truck ain't it? I can relate. It sounds similar to what I ran into with my dump about 2 months back, but I didn't have any visible cracks/damage outside of the rust i was already aware of. I'm sure you've already thought of/tried it, but in my case it ended up just needing to be cleaned up and greased. Goodluck, man, hope it works out for you.

Yea, underestimated everything when it came to the cost of individual parts. How can a new dump bed be 9k from knaphede? A new scissor lift be 2900 dollars installed. Thats as much as i paid for this truck. I really wish i knew more about trucks like i do know, just fixing everything, before i bought it.

I am going to try a bunch of things on my own before i take it to monroe this weekend. I sorta feel like if i land these two big snow accounts i bid on last week, that it would be worth it to fix it and replace it all, rather than having something crack on me during a snow storm and not be able to use it then. But how often am i going to be salting with the bed up i guess, im not planning on putting salt right into the bed. (could you do that though? and buy a stainless steel tailgate salter?

knox gsl
10-25-2011, 11:53 PM
The hoses are easy to make it you have a crimper if not go to a supply house and they can build them.

I was referring to the electric solenoid valve built onto the pump.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
The hoses are easy to make it you have a crimper if not go to a supply house and they can build them.

I was referring to the electric solenoid valve built onto the pump.

I ordered two hoses on ebay for 12 bucks each with fittings and everything installed. I think the solenoid valve is broken as well(my buddy thought that is what it was fromt, from the start) I really wish i had the equipment to lift up the bed, and the know how to replace a valve. Is it that hard? Just unscrew and re-wire the new one?

knox gsl
10-26-2011, 04:44 PM
I ordered two hoses on ebay for 12 bucks each with fittings and everything installed. I think the solenoid valve is broken as well(my buddy thought that is what it was fromt, from the start) I really wish i had the equipment to lift up the bed, and the know how to replace a valve. Is it that hard? Just unscrew and re-wire the new one?

Should be that simple, if you have a chain hoist you can lift the bed from a tree limb, but make sure to put a safety bar under it before going in. Worst case scenario is buy a new pump and valve from northern tool, should be about $500. I think the valve should be easy, I've never replaced one.

If you don't have a chain hoist maybe a strap around something up high and then drive the truck forward.

Call a tow truck out they can lift it up and then you can secure it in place.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Should be that simple, if you have a chain hoist you can lift the bed from a tree limb, but make sure to put a safety bar under it before going in. Worst case scenario is buy a new pump and valve from northern tool, should be about $500. I think the valve should be easy, I've never replaced one.

If you don't have a chain hoist maybe a strap around something up high and then drive the truck forward.

Call a tow truck out they can lift it up and then you can secure it in place.

Thats a great idea about putting something up high in a tree and drive forward, it should go right up! I am going to try that this weekend when i finished the irrigation system.

KrayzKajun
10-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Thats a great idea about putting something up high in a tree and drive forward, it should go right up! I am going to try that this weekend when i finished the irrigation system.

cant beat redneck engineering!!!!:clapping:

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-26-2011, 11:03 PM
haha. I wish i had a bobcat,but the tree should work well, i got a huge oak right at the end of my driveway i could use!!!!

MMADDUX
10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Hope you get your truck fixed short of $3K. I'm going to Auto Tech school in January and then Diesel Mechanic school. I hate forking over some much green to get stuff fixed.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Hope you get your truck fixed short of $3K. I'm going to Auto Tech school in January and then Diesel Mechanic school. I hate forking over some much green to get stuff fixed.

NO KIDDING! I spend around 6k a year in maintenance and repairs. Im sick of it.

Does anyone know where to find a solenoid valve for a 5 ton pump? Is there a universal valve? I cant find any model numbers or brand on my pump at all

P.Services
10-27-2011, 08:58 PM
if you wana bring it up some time i can help you out and lift the bed up. some time after dark we can put it in the shop or maybe sunday afternoon

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-27-2011, 10:15 PM
if you wana bring it up some time i can help you out and lift the bed up. some time after dark we can put it in the shop or maybe sunday afternoon

I WAS HOPING YOU WOULD CHIME IN!!!!!!! That would be awesome. Im going to PM you. Thanks P

MMADDUX
10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Did you get the dump fixed?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
10-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Did you get the dump fixed?

Not yet, i am really dragging me feet on this one and i need to take it to Picasso's Shop! I worked something out with a buddy of mine to use my leaf loader on some of his accounts if he sucks up the leaf piles from my clients accounts. So the leaf loader is mounted on his dump truck right now. 2008 Dodge Ram 5500 14ft landscape body. TALK ABOUT A BEAUTIFUL TRUCK. It matches my 1500 perfectly. He also spent 45k on it though.

I think i am going to make it my winter project while im out of school and have time to work on equipment and in between a few vacations i may take with the gf!

Im trying not to spend a penny the next month so i can go some where very nice for christmas vacation! Most of my accounts have city Pickup anyways so i can just curb the leaves but all my big accounts have no city removal.

PLEASE HELP ME! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A SOLENOID VALVE FOR MY PUMP? PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Kennedy Landscaping
11-02-2011, 12:49 AM
found some pictures from when i was 15-16 with a 5x10 tsc trailer, and a 48" exmark metro i got for 1500 at a dealer one year old, demo'd

pb755t echo blower(only lasted a season with 15 lawns and a john deere trimmer/edger/hedger combo with custom built racks :)

Also, a job from this year. 4 out of 6 leaky/sticky valves would run slowly all day or wouldnt turn on. Replaced all of them, dug the hole deeper and filled 3" of granite stone and re-wired.

Love the stone, thats the same thing I do on my installs. Looks so much more professional. Only thing I would've done different is install Rain Bird valves. Those look like old Irritrol or Richdel valves. The screw on collar is good for quick service but the valves themselves are kind of a pain. To each his own though, still a good looking repair. Love what you've done with the truck too man. Looks like your doing good things with your equipment and your business. The work looks top notch too, hats off to you my friend.

P.Services
11-02-2011, 01:34 AM
just bring it up allready you lazy a$$ ! i just came inside from working on my truck. Come up sunday and we will mess with it.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-02-2011, 05:12 PM
just bring it up allready you lazy a$$ ! i just came inside from working on my truck. Come up sunday and we will mess with it.

haha! Sorry man, i have been crazy busy! I am going to chicago this weekend. I will bring it up next sunday. Where abouts is your shop?

PM or email me your number too!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Love the stone, thats the same thing I do on my installs. Looks so much more professional. Only thing I would've done different is install Rain Bird valves. Those look like old Irritrol or Richdel valves. The screw on collar is good for quick service but the valves themselves are kind of a pain. To each his own though, still a good looking repair. Love what you've done with the truck too man. Looks like your doing good things with your equipment and your business. The work looks top notch too, hats off to you my friend.

not to be an ass, but those are hunter valves, the easier valves to fix, work on, and replace. Im not sure how much irrigation work you do, but i have almost never had to replace hunter valves. They are always irritol.

Also, this was a job last year and those were all replaced from rainbird valves(which were all leaking and half had bad solenoids) to hunter valves. They are the new design.

Thanks for the kudos though, hope your operation is going well. Havent talked to you much recently.

Kennedy Landscaping
11-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Hey all is well man, I couldn't tell from the picture, just the general shape made me think irritrol I guess. Maybe its something about the water difference from your region and mine. But I'm always replacing nelson, toro, and such. Rain Bird and Hunter are what I have the best luck with. Still like the job you did though don't get me wrong. The gravel in the valve boxes really just add a professional touch.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Hey all is well man, I couldn't tell from the picture, just the general shape made me think irritrol I guess. Maybe its something about the water difference from your region and mine. But I'm always replacing nelson, toro, and such. Rain Bird and Hunter are what I have the best luck with. Still like the job you did though don't get me wrong. The gravel in the valve boxes really just add a professional touch.

Understand completely! I think every detail counts when installing an irrigation system. Usually when i go out to service valves, half the valves are buried and you barely can even twist to manually turn on. Also, guys put like 7 zones into one small valve box so its cramped and zero room to work!

You should see the wiring i do for my installs. I soldier the hot wires, then in the dielectric sleeve and there is zer mess. Zero tangled wires and it is easy to fix and ascetically pleasing .

DLONGLANDSCAPING
11-03-2011, 09:21 AM
btw more info on the truck, since this is the truck thread. The glow plugs went out two mornings ago. The plow mount is being tightened, fluids changed, exhaust flange replaced(rattling like crazy) Oiling sending unit was leaking so that will be replaced, turbo clamps were tightened, new batterys installed and everything is going to be winter ready when i get back from Chicago this weekend for winter.

Still need to get the DUMP fixed, but the truck going to sound nice!