PDA

View Full Version : miles

recliner5
10-27-2002, 01:16 PM
How many miles can you get out of a powerstroke diesel before you have too put money into it for repairs. Thanks Terp

Brickman
10-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Many variables. If you buy used it will depend on how the guy before you took care of it.

I bought mine new at 18 miles. Now it has 126K and has been relatively trouble free.

The honest truth is that there are born lemons with any brand. All of us here know of the other brand, the ones we hate that have problems. I can tell you about Cummins and Cheby diesels that don't last for any thing. Guys like Odin and Randy J will tell you about PS that don't last for any thing. A local rental company has a 02 Dodge that has over $15K of warranty work on the engine alone. Does that mean the Cummins is trash? Probably not. Just that that particular engine is. There are plenty of PS, and Cummins that have 300K miles and run strong today.

Ford Rules. :drinkup:

odin
10-27-2002, 04:37 PM
I agree there with ya brickman

We all have fun knocking each other brand.
I got a ford one time only time other then a 77 ltd car i bought one and the trans went out third day i had it.
Took a lot of abuse from my fellow gm worker s to for getting it .
Does that mean all ford's are bad it most certinly dont.I have a buddy the power stoke with just 200 miles blew up like you said that particular power stroke was a lemon.
The same uaw brothers put that ford chevy and dodge togeather.
Ive heard duramax horror stories does that mean the dura max is a crumey engine no it doesnt our duramax work one ton pickup has been like a rock.My dad got one of the first duramaxes out and has already put over 100k completely trouble free miles on it.
Hauling around a huge boat and his hunting stuff all over from chicago to mississippi to texas to florida.

And i want to point out it is not from the brillance of all three auto companies that all of these engines are fine engines.

Isuzu designed the duramax gm got 50% of isuzu just for there diesel engine technology.
For the foreseeable future each company is gonna constantly come out with something that will trump the other.
But one thing that ford chysler and gm do have is that in the diesel and heavy duty work truck segment the american companies have there fingers on the pulse of there buyers we so far ahead of the jappers its prothectic.
Jappers dont understand the heavy duty work truck buyers like the american companies

Dennis E.
10-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Anal retentive maintenance is the key.
I am on the upper end of "retentive" with mine.
Oil every 3K. K&N gets cleaned regularly. Grease(front)
Fuel filter every 10K(which I need to do today!)
Etc.
It pays off in the long run.
There was a story on a diesel site,which Paul knows about:D ,about a member who ran into a elderly gentleman at a KC fuel stop.
They got to talking about the PSD. Turns out that the older guy had almost 500K on his truck and had not turned a wrench on it yet. Just REGULAR maintenance.
It does pay.:D

mdb landscaping
10-27-2002, 07:52 PM
the other brand your talking about brickman must be dodge huh?:D

Brickman
10-27-2002, 08:46 PM
MDB what in the world is that weird lookin orange thingy under your site ID??? :D :D :D Go back and look, I said other brandS. With an S. I will go against yours any day with a 26K load on it. I know you would beat me in a straight out race because you got a juicer. And I am losing time on shifting.

I trashed the only pickup that I could find to run against today. It was a Didge. No Chebys were even out. Scared of the exhaust noise I bet. :laugh: :laugh:

Since then I got my propane working. Watch out.

I am running Amsoil and changing every 10K. Ams says every 12.5K. When my truck was in at 97K for the only warranty work on the engine Ford tested the motor out. They said it holds crank case pressure the same as a new one. Been running Ams for a while already then.

Ford rules

Mowin4cash
11-01-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by recliner5
How many miles can you get out of a powerstroke diesel before you have too put money into it for repairs. Thanks Terp

All the guys I know that have one tell me they didn't put many miles on it before the injectors had to be replaced. If you get real lucky, and don't have injector problems, you should get 200,000 miles easily.

Mike

ProMo
11-01-2002, 07:42 PM
my f150 let me down today went to get out of her and the door mechanism broke time to get a new truck do those hds have stronger door openers? of all the things to break

Brickman
11-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Mowin4cash
All the guys I know that have one tell me they didn't put many miles on it before the injectors had to be replaced. If you get real lucky, and don't have injector problems, you should get 200,000 miles easily.

Mike

I don't know what you mean by not many miles but I got 128K and counting with no injector trouble.

As for the doors I dunno, my truck has been very trouble free from the start. Bought it with 18 miles on it.

ProMo
11-02-2002, 09:05 AM
mines going on 65k miles at 7 yrs old other than the door the trans is leaking I think I crushed the pan gasket when replacing it other than that it runs good next truck will be an f250 or f350 trying to make this one last a little longer but since going to enclosed trailer its been working hard

hosejockey2002
11-02-2002, 12:00 PM
I've seen an ambulance or two with over 300,000 on them that still running good. Around here the vast majority of aid cars and ambulances are Fords running PS diesels.