PDA

View Full Version : New Job completed....Tell us what you think

GroundOneMN
08-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Just completed another job, minus the plantings those should be done next phase. Any plant material so far was done by homeowner at this point.

http://www.groundonemn.com/landscaping/2011/08/landscape-artistry-river-bluff-update/

Facebook page for those curious has more photos of this job.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.121737641241046.30355.106096086138535&saved#!/pages/Ground-One-Landscaping-Minneapolis-MN/106096086138535

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I like it!
Posted via Mobile Device

GroundOneMN
08-06-2011, 09:42 AM
thanks Dvs, just took some more photos of another job you should appreciate, simple but elegant.......

4Russl5
08-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Looks great. I like the contrast of the organic shapes in the round inset to the 'squares & rec's'. Tonally the colors look great also. What three materials did you use for the flat work? I am guessing the far right is a dense sandstone from Arkansas? Is it all mortared down? Nice job with your consistent joints. Looking at your photos on FB is great. You might want your guys doing the dry stone work to do a work shop. That wall is thin for it's height. That is the main area that could improve from my view... but I am a dry stone waller/mason.

TomG
08-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Wow! That looks great! Nice work. If I follow your FB correctly, even the square paver looking pieces are natural stone? Do they come all squared up or do you have to cut them all? How long did the project take if you don't mind? Very nice work, keep it up!

Bru75
08-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Nice work.
Have you gotten much business from your Facebook page? I only started one a few months ago so I don't know if it's helping me or not, but hey it's free.

DVS Hardscaper
08-06-2011, 05:10 PM
thanks Dvs, just took some more photos of another job you should appreciate, simple but elegant.......

Some food for thought - You may wanna have your watermarks on your photos placed more in the area of the subject of your photos. The watermark placed in the corner can easily be cropped out. I would probably place our watermark at the 10:00 position of the circular pattern (of your picture). This way a picture pirate (and trust me, they're out there) would have to crop a chunk out of the center of the photo! Whereas, in the bottom corner, it gets cut out and not a soul would ever notice.

Also, I was checking out the pool. I like the vinyl pool too. (at least it appears to be vinyl from what I can see). Everyone think gunite is the best way to go. Knowing what I've learned about pools, vinyl is a wiser investment - longterm. Replace the liner and that's it. No re-plastering. No re-tiling. No re-coping.

JimLewis
08-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I agree with the watermark. I've actually HAD that happen to my photos before and then they show up on some other contractor's website. That will really piss you off when that happens.

Awesome work!

GroundOneMN
08-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the info, the watermarks or logos were placed in the corner just so that if needed the picture could be used for advertising. However now coming to the realization that it most likely needs to be done as you described, I will just have to have two copies of the photos.

As for the other questions, the main pool deck is made of Silver Creek Travertine - man made product that is similar to travertine but will hold up in the climate here in Minnesota. They come pre-sized and were mortared down as well. The circles are comprised of a natural stone called Kasota found here in Minnesota - my distributer calls it a Minnesota Buff. The project was started last fall, and due to the many upgrades and change orders this lasted a couple months into this year. Just getting to posting some in combination with our blog or news feeds. Total 4 months with rain delays in those.

For the walls they are topped out at 3.5' tall. They are backfilled with drainage rock, tile and fabric. The a compacted class behind those. Definetly there would be larger stone used if the site required but with very little static pressure it was more as decorative planters.

Facebook was just started this year and is growing at a steady pace. We will see what happens between that and Google+.

Jim thanks and sent you a PM

JimLewis
08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info, the watermarks or logos were placed in the corner just so that if needed the picture could be used for advertising. However now coming to the realization that it most likely needs to be done as you described, I will just have to have two copies of the photos.

That's exactly what you have to do. Keep several copies of the same photo. I actually keep 3 sub-folders for every project we do. 1) Original Hi-Def Photos. To be used for print / advertising, if ever. 2) Folder with only the best photos, re-sized to a reasonable size and MB. And if there is any touching up to be done to the photos in terms of lighting, etc. then they are altered at this stage too. These images are for small photobooks, sharing with future customers, friends, etc. 3) The same photos in folder #2 except with the watermark added. These are used for our photo gallery on our website, our Facebook Page, Posting on Lawnsite, Angie's List Gallery, or anywhere else on the internet.

xclusive
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
That's exactly what you have to do. Keep several copies of the same photo. I actually keep 3 sub-folders for every project we do. 1) Original Hi-Def Photos. To be used for print / advertising, if ever. 2) Folder with only the best photos, re-sized to a reasonable size and MB. And if there is any touching up to be done to the photos in terms of lighting, etc. then they are altered at this stage too. These images are for small photobooks, sharing with future customers, friends, etc. 3) The same photos in folder #2 except with the watermark added. These are used for our photo gallery on our website, our Facebook Page, Posting on Lawnsite, Angie's List Gallery, or anywhere else on the internet.

What kind of camera and lens do you use to take your photos or do you hire some one?

JimLewis
08-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I take all the photos myself. As of this March, I use a Nikon D3100 D-SLR. Before that, I used a Kodak EasyShare camera, similar to this one;

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/22/kodak-easyshare-z1012-is.jpg

All the photos in my portfolio book here (http://www.mypublisher.com/?e=OHm3Q8zJl3Tak-1hJM5AC_ozP6wmEpUz&s=fb) were taken with one of those cameras. If the job says 2011 on the page, it was taken with the Nikon. Otherwise, it was taken with the Kodak.

My secret to good photos is get the nicest camera you can afford and take LOTS of photos from all sorts of different angles. Close-ups, photos from down low, photos from up high, photos from all different vantage points. And then if you're as bad a shot as me, you'll come up with a dozen or so decent photos out of 50 or 75 that you took.

I am getting a little better, with time. But I still never use 60% of the photos I shoot. The night lighting photos on page 7 are pretty impressive. I took those just point and shoot at dusk. Turned out great and I didn't even use a tripod or slow down the shutter speed.

DVS Hardscaper
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I too shoot my own photos. Some may say they're not as good as a pro photographer, but I have received SEVERAL COMPLIMENTS from prospective clients when they place the initial calls. I have slacked over the years, as life progresses, you get busier!

A good camera like Jim said is a must. you must have interchangeable lens. The lens i use the most is a simple wide angle lens. You can stand right next to a truck and get the entire side of the truck with a wide angle, and that's what is usually needed for hardscapes.

Your pics should be of completed jobs. No grass seed or straw should be in the pic. The pic should have a lush lawn and landscape. I usually return 9-12 months later to take pics of our jobs. AND my contracts specifies such. :)

One of my pet peeves is seeing pictures of a patio with the whole back of the house in the pic. Did you build the house??? No, so don't shoot it, shoot the patio. Or I hate seeing pics of the cover half blown off the bar b que grill. Or pics of kids toys scattered all over. And I absolutely hate seeing pics of straw spread around the job. LOL there is a contractor in my area who's car is wrapped with a Picture of a patio.....and around the patio is bare dirt, he took the picture before they evev seeded!!!!

All the pics on my website were shot by me.
Www.outdoorfinishes.com. And feel free to pirate my pics, my server tracks IP addresses and the town it originated!!

Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
P.S. - I'm also big on using people in my pictures, which is something I've really just started doing.

Lite4
08-09-2011, 02:33 PM
DVS- I love the term "picture pirate". Here is a website from a guy in Canada http://urbanlighting.ca/ who has lifted some of my pics. All the pics in his scroll bar on the home page are mine. He won't acknowledge my emails to remove them or give me credit for them. Good call on the watermark, I'll have to put them right across the middle.

JimLewis
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Tim...Tim...Tim.... Let me hold your hand on this one. Then you'll know how to do it yourself from here on out. Unfortunately, I've had to do this more times than I'd like.

First, you get a hold of the guy and let him know that he has stolen your copyrighted photos. Whether you realize it or not, the minute you placed your own photos on your own website they became copyrighted Intellectual Property which is protected by International Law by the DMCA (http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf) and recognized by most countries. So you tell this guy that he is pirating your copyrighted material (which you've already done) but you also tell him that you'd like to play nice. Your request is that he just remove them. But you also let him know that if he doesn't comply that you will take this to the next level. Then you spell out exactly what that means.

1) By posting copyrighted photos on his site, he's in violation of the Terms of Service Agreement of the company who hosts his website. His website is hosted by Wild West Domains Canada, Inc. And every hosting co. has a Terms of Service agreement that each of their websites must adhere to. Once you notify Wild West Domains of the violation, they will take down his entire site and may ban him. Does he really want that to happen?

You can remind him that their Terms of Service Agreement is HERE (http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf).

Just telling him that you know who his domain is hosted by and that they have a TOS agreement that he is violating is enough to scare 90% of these jerks to comply immediately.

2) The next level after that is that Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. all have Terms of Service Agreements as well. In order to be "found" on their search engines, your site cannot be using copyrighted materials without permission. So you can notify Google, et. al. of the violation and they will all remove this company's website from their search results until they comply. They may remove them forever. For instance, the place to ask google to look into a violation is on THIS PAGE (http://www.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=ts.cs&ts=1114905). Each of the search engines have a similar method to do this.

So does this guy really want his website taken down and/or removed from all search engines? No. And he will comply. I can pretty much guarantee you.

3) The third recourse you have, if you really want to pursue it, is to sue him in civil court. You would win. And you can win BIG MONEY doing so. There are SERIOUS fees associated with the DMCA. Read through the act. People get awarded huge sums of money for winning these cases. And although I've never had to go that far to get someone to remove my photos from their website, it doesn't hurt to mention that this is a valid option for you to pursue as well.

You write him an email, registered letter, or phone call explaining all this - I guarantee you'll have the photos removed in less than a week. I've done it dozens of times.

DVS Hardscaper
08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
We're really getting of topic here, my apologies to the topic creator.

But this is a good topic!

What prompted me to watermark my photos was about 8 years ago. I participated in another lawn & landscape forum that is no longer in operation. One of the members was from one of the New England states. He monitored his server records and saw that an IP address in Kansas was spending alotta time on his site! (many servers will tell you how long and how many pages each individual IP Address visits, well mine does at least)

So the guy in NE was like "why is someone in Kansas spending all this time on my site"? He investigated further and found a contractor in Kansas with all his pictues on his website!!! He called the guy in Kansas and said "you have 24 hrs to remove my pictures", to which the guy in Kansas complied.

So, that was a lesson learned for all the members of the other forum, and thats when I started water marking my pictures.

DVS Hardscaper
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
And thats what I like about our Jim Lewis! Jim Lewis truely knows his shi.....um....stuff! He's a good member to have on this forum :)

SVA_Concrete
08-09-2011, 06:25 PM
back on track....

the stone work looks very classy, and appears well constructed from your facebook page.

I think the color choice is perfect.

Lite4
08-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the direction on this Jim. I will pursue this further.

By the way... I was looking through my rain bird catalog the other day. Nice camio brother.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimLewis
08-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the direction on this Jim. I will pursue this further.

By the way... I was looking through my rain bird catalog the other day. Nice camio brother.
Posted via Mobile Device

No problem. :)

As for the RB Catalog, what can I say? I get around..... ;)

Watch for me on the cover of Fortune Magazine..... :laugh: