PDA

View Full Version : "I don't want a riding mower in my yard"

FLAhaulboy
08-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't mow anymore & refer that work to a friend that mows yards. I called this lady back this morn & referred her to my friend. She asked if he used a "push" mower rather than a rider, I said no, he uses a commercial rider mower, she then stated, she'd already fired two companies that used a rider in her yard, she wants it push mowed instead. I said my friend might push it but he would charge more $ because it takes "longer" to push mow a yard. Bless her heart, She just couldn't understand WHY somebody would charge more to push instead of riding! I'd tried to explain the economics involved but it was a lost cause. I bet she fires my friend next:waving:

JDiepstra
08-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't mow anymore & refer that work to a friend that mows yards. I called this lady back this morn & referred her to my friend. She asked if he used a "push" mower rather than a rider, I said no, he uses a commercial rider mower, she then stated, she'd already fired two companies that used a rider in her yard, she wants it push mowed instead. I said my friend might push it but he would charge more $ because it takes "longer" to push mow a yard. Bless her heart, She just couldn't understand WHY somebody would charge more to push instead of riding! I'd tried to explain the economics involved but it was a lost cause. I bet she fires my friend next:waving:

Fire her first. She will be furious. It will be awesome.

ernieknows
08-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Ask them why?
I have come across a few customers who said LCO ripped up their grass.
Riders can do that.

terceslil
08-05-2011, 07:21 PM
My neighbors have an acre and refuse to get a riding mower. They insist that their lawn "looks better" when mowed with a push mower. Set in their ways, you will never change their minds. My neighbors are two older women, the mother is about 80 and the daughter is probably 60. They start cutting grass on Wednesday and finish on Saturday or Sunday every week. I would say that is pretty determined to not have a riding lawn mower on their lawn.

JB1
08-05-2011, 07:24 PM
My neighbors have an acre and refuse to get a riding mower. They insist that their lawn "looks better" when mowed with a push mower. Set in their ways, you will never change their minds. My neighbors are two older women, the mother is about 80 and the daughter is probably 60. They start cutting grass on Wednesday and finish on Saturday or Sunday every week. I would say that is pretty determined to not have a riding lawn mower on their lawn.

determined is not the word I was thinking.

vencops
08-05-2011, 08:05 PM
My 36" WB cut is noticably better than my ZTR's. My WB is several years old. My ZTR (Bobcat Procat) is new.

"I" can mow faster with my ZTR. Conceded. But, if I only used WB's, I could mow (within reason re: size of lawn) LESS expensively (less overhead).

On a 1/4ac. sized lawn (for example), a person ONLY utilizing WB's could probably mow less expensively than someone utilizing a ZTR (I would think). I know the cut would be better if I used (and, I do, sometimes) my WB on lawns this size (with items to trim around).

I'm not saying the customer in this instance is thinking this way (at all). Just thinking out-loud.

Patriot Services
08-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Disclaimer *prices subject to change due to ignorant customers foolish demands*
Posted via Mobile Device

justanotherlawnguy
08-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Any time you find yourself having to explain your price, that is the first clue that you should run.

You don't have to explain why the price is the price or why you use a particular mower.

I paid $9k for a z, and dammit I am gonna use it!!
Posted via Mobile Device

A Leaf Above
08-06-2011, 08:47 AM
What happens in my opinion is that the front wheels of the bigger mowers will rip the turf on the smaller yards due to lots of turning sharply ...Mostly i see this on the yards where you would have to backup a little bit to turn ..The wheels grab and spin 180 degrees and if the turf is week or wet it will just pull it and actually move the whole area a few inches ...Its a little spot we are talking but its enough for the homeowner to notice ....Thats just what i think is happening here ..

Florida Gardener
08-06-2011, 10:43 AM
What happens in my opinion is that the front wheels of the bigger mowers will rip the turf on the smaller yards due to lots of turning sharply ...Mostly i see this on the yards where you would have to backup a little bit to turn ..The wheels grab and spin 180 degrees and if the turf is week or wet it will just pull it and actually move the whole area a few inches ...Its a little spot we are talking but its enough for the homeowner to notice ....Thats just what i think is happening here ..

I agree with both sides. Not sure how big this lady's yard is, but some yards are just too small for a Z. There are companies around here that run 60" dixies on yards that truly need a 21". However, if a yard can take a Z and look good, that's what it gets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I have come across a few customers who said LCO ripped up their grass.
Riders can do that.

Not true, inexperienced operators are what rip up the lawn, not the mower!

fl-landscapes
08-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Not true, inexperienced operators are what rip up the lawn, not the mower!

Very true. Hey mike, hows it going? You ever find time to finish your georgia course?

Landscape Poet
08-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Very true. Hey mike, hows it going? You ever find time to finish your georgia course?

Going to well FL. Right now things are blowing up like crazy. The course work has been pushed off till fall at this point. The days have just gotten too long and the weekends are turning into just my time to give estimates. I am ready to take the first test and have been for awhile now. I will take it my first off week in November through the country extension like you recommended as they said they would do that for me too. The second I have till the end Jan to complete without filing for the $50 extension and I do not see myself having any problem meeting that deadline.
How about yourself - have you taken any other courses through them or other programs that your recommend? Not that I have a interest in Sports turfgrass mgmt I thought it might be a interesting course to take this winter as well. The price on these courses are reasonable and the material is delivered in a straight forward manner which makes for a quick study.

fl-landscapes
08-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Going to well FL. Right now things are blowing up like crazy. The course work has been pushed off till fall at this point. The days have just gotten too long and the weekends are turning into just my time to give estimates. I am ready to take the first test and have been for awhile now. I will take it my first off week in November through the country extension like you recommended as they said they would do that for me too. The second I have till the end Jan to complete without filing for the $50 extension and I do not see myself having any problem meeting that deadline.
How about yourself - have you taken any other courses through them or other programs that your recommend? Not that I have a interest in Sports turfgrass mgmt I thought it might be a interesting course to take this winter as well. The price on these courses are reasonable and the material is delivered in a straight forward manner which makes for a quick study.

Thought that one looked interesting too. No I havent taken any other couses since. Like you the busy season is here and I was out working until after dark last night, worked all day today clearing brazilian peppers at my local lesco and I always work every sunday so I am working in the morning too. This heat has been brutal lately. Been doing a fair amount of hydroseeding too. Just seeing the word "November" in your post made me smile. Take care

Ric
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Fl

Things are a lot tougher for Mikey than the average Georgia Turf Grass Course student. It might take to the end of the century for Mikey to finish it.

Exact Rototilling
08-07-2011, 12:09 PM
The way I understand it from the "clients perspective" is:

Rutting and turf soil compaction
Quality of cut lacking with riders ...many hate lawn tractors
Riders are for lazy types who frankly need to loose a few pounds
They are use to the look of a cut with a 21"
That big riding mower the prior LCO used damaged my fence, concrete and trees.

I have heard all of these from clients.

I use exclusively Quick BOP mowers in all deck sizes: 32, 36 and 44. Also run the Ybravo 25. I still have a few 21's but hardly use them unless wife helps me mow.

BOP mowers have a lighter foot print than the 21's or 25. One of my clients has a very soggy spot in their lawn. 21 and 25 mowers leave much more of mark than any of my BOP mowers.

BOP mowers weigh in at less than 400.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-07-2011, 12:28 PM
The way I understand it from the "clients perspective" is:

Rutting and turf soil compaction
Quality of cut lacking with riders ...many hate lawn tractors
Riders are for lazy types who frankly need to loose a few pounds
They are use to the look of a cut with a 21"
That big riding mower the prior LCO used damaged my fence, concrete and trees.

I have heard all of these from clients.

I use exclusively Quick BOP mowers in all deck sizes: 32, 36 and 44. Also run the Ybravo 25. I still have a few 21's but hardly use them unless wife helps me mow.

BOP mowers have a lighter foot print than the 21's or 25. One of my clients has a very soggy spot in their lawn. 21 and 25 mowers leave much more of mark than any of my BOP mowers.

BOP mowers weigh in at less than 400.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact

There No question about the Better cut of a 21 mower. a Combination of Blade Speed to ground speed called CLIP RATE factors a better cut from a 21 than any other mower. Add in the smaller deck that rolls with the ground better than a wider deck. I believe the real question is. "are people willing to pay a fair price for it???? Unfortunately this goes back the the Industries YARD BOY PERCEPTION. People think if you don't have a big mower they should pay less for a smaller mower.

Landscape Poet
08-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Fl

Things are a lot tougher for Mikey than the average Georgia Turf Grass Course student. It might take to the end of the century for Mikey to finish it.

Yep Ric, I am in the middle of summer running a growing business. Life is a little rougher for me. Now please tell me the tale of how you did this course while walking up hill to school both ways please! I am sure you need to do that to make yourself feel better?
The fact is that you are just the grumpy ol' man on the forums and can not say anything nice about anything unless it is about something great you have did. Why would you assume anything about me? :p:p Why would you try to make a point that I am somehow not capable of completing this course? Does it bother you that I am not your average lawn turd and actual care to learn something? :confused:

Ric
08-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Yep Ric, I am in the middle of summer running a growing business. Life is a little rougher for me. Now please tell me the tale of how you did this course while walking up hill to school both ways please! I am sure you need to do that to make yourself feel better?
The fact is that you are just the grumpy ol' man on the forums and can not say anything nice about anything unless it is about something great you have did. Why would you assume anything about me? :p:p Why would you try to make a point that I am somehow not capable of completing this course? Does it bother you that I am not your average lawn turd and actual care to learn something? :confused:

Mikey

It doesn't bother me and I know it is tougher for you. But I wish you all the Luck in the world and hope one day you can be a Average Lawn Turd.

stickleylawncare
08-07-2011, 07:18 PM
We picked up a few new clients that were who didnt want "those big lawn tractors" on their yard. But when we talked to them further, they just didn't like guys leaving tire tracks in on their concrete and pavers. I guess some people just do donuts for fun in clients driveways. After talking to the clients and explaining that we would promise not to leave tire marks anywhere, they were OK with the ZTR.

South Florida Lawns
08-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Sheet I can get a 60 on a postage stamp size lawn and you'd never know i was there or what mowed it.

You live in Florida mowin in the swamp you gotta have a few tricks up your sleeve as far as keeping turf damage to a minimum.

lifetree
08-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Fire her first. She will be furious. It will be awesome.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A Leaf Above
08-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Sheet I can get a 60 on a postage stamp size lawn and you'd never know i was there or what mowed it.

You live in Florida mowin in the swamp you gotta have a few tricks up your sleeve as far as keeping turf damage to a minimum.

Lol ...we all know that damage does happen here and there though ...No one is perfect 100% of the time ..:drinkup: