PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

MoGreen
08-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Swisher 60" B&S 25hp v twin. 140hrs.
The right hydro pump has gone up and needs to be replaced. I've gotten estimates of around $700-$800.
The lady is splitting with her husband and is selling for $500.
What do these go for? Is Swisher a good brand?
How does this compare to my Bobcat Leo with 19hp B&S engine?
I'm thinking of buying it, fixing the hydro, and selling my current Bobcat.
Thanks for any input. Haven't heard much about the "Swisher" brand name.....
:confused:

piston slapper
08-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Its a homeowner grade mower...definitely NOT commercial.

dutch1
08-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Here is their website.

http://www.swisherinc.com/

You can check/order parts online. Might be helpful in checking prices.

Other than that, I haven't seen nor worked on one in 20+ years so I can't comment one way or the other on quality.

Someone more familiar with the product will likely check in later.

Hydro pump out in 140 hours? Not that it's impossible but unlikely in my opinion unless it might have been mistreated--operated with brake on among other things. It might be wise the check the belt/idler for the pumps.

piston slapper
08-05-2011, 03:17 PM
I've seen 2 in the last year...Not impressed.
If they make a commercial duty mower, I havent seen it.
The ones I saw resembled a Dixon. Thin metal frames and decks.
Gear/hydraulic units like in the box store ZTR's..

dutch1
08-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks, Slapper. That was my impression of the last one I saw but didn't know what changes/improvements had been made over the years. If I were to compare to something on the market today, it would be the Cub Cadet/MTD zero turns.

MoGreen
08-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the reply-I appreciate it.
Went to look at it today (ZT2660B Z Max) and wasn't too impressed myself. My Bobcat looks to have a thicker deck AND frame and it didn't look like it was that high quality.
The lady is including a "Box Scraper" (I think that's what it is called) attachment for leveling out driveway stones/ground/etc.....
I think I'm going to get it and see if it really is the hydro. Reading up on the website, they SAY they are commercial Eaton hydros....
Unless he ran it dry, it's hard to believe it just "went up" after 133.8 hrs.
How about taking the motor off and putting it on my Bobcat? I know they came with an optional B&S V-twin and my deck is pre-drilled for another motor-maybe even the one she has on hers!!!?
The motor alone is worth the $500, right? Thanks again for your help!!!!

piston slapper
08-06-2011, 10:25 AM
MO....something you need to know about residential grade eqpt.
It has a useful life expectancy of 300-350 hours. This is how long they are expected to work when they are drawn up by the engineers. Every component on it has that expectation. If the customer worked it real hard, its possible to wear out the hydro's that fast. As far as the engine being worth 500 ? Will it even work on your mower? is the crank the same? You may open a can of worms.

pugs
08-06-2011, 03:56 PM
The lady is including a "Box Scraper" (I think that's what it is called) attachment for leveling out driveway stones/ground/etc.....
I think I'm going to get it and see if it really is the hydro. Reading up on the website, they SAY they are commercial Eaton hydros....
Unless he ran it dry, it's hard to believe it just "went up" after 133.8 hrs.

Not too hard to believe if they were using it to pull a box scraper...

MoGreen
08-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Ohhh, GOOD point! Never thought of THAT!! (using the box scraper to pull behind would possibly burn up a hydro)
Oh yeah, my Bobcat had the B&S 25hp v-twin as an "optional" motor and the previous owner opted for the 19hp instead. I checked the frame, and it "appears" to have the same exact bolt pattern as the other mower I just purchased. Don't you think this will fit?
What other problems would I expect to run into IF I try to put the motor on mine?
Possible length/height of the pulley/electrical clutch assembly? I see on the schematics that there is a different part number available for the 19hp and 25hp pulley/electrical clutch assemblies.....also, I wonder if the charging system is the same amperage-wise.
Thanks again!

Is there a "general" place a lot of people go to order new hydro pumps or get them rebuilt? My neighbor told me to just get a new one-they are not really rebuildable-it's not worth it.....?
It appears to be an Eaton p/n 10269 right hand hydro w reserve and tank and ext......?

pugs
08-08-2011, 10:33 AM
You may run into issues on an engine swap. The bobcat might be a 1 1/8" shaft while the other one could be a 1" but you wont know until you lookup both engines or measure them both.

MoGreen
08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
You may run into issues on an engine swap. The bobcat might be a 1 1/8" shaft while the other one could be a 1" but you wont know until you lookup both engines or measure them both.
Yeah, I remember reading some info on that. So what does the 1inch or 1 1/8" shaft determine? I think I would have 3 different choices of shafts that could possibly fit. I have the original manual from when it was 1st purchased and there was optional 25 up b&s motor available but decided to get the 19 instead (my mistake)
I have it here in the garage and the bolt pattern appeArs to match the pre drilled holes so I think it will match up fine. What about the charging system? I remember reading that the 2 may have different charging systems..... True??
Thanks again !
Posted via Mobile Device