PDA

View Full Version : TZone and Drive XLR8

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Just did a lawn today with this combo in my backpack. Lawn had oxalis, spurge, and crab bad in the backyard. No one had treated the lawn this year yet (new one for me). I am hoping for good results...anyone use this combo?
Not the cheapest IMO but I need to get after those tough to kills.

WestGaPineStraw
08-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Solitare + mso would have been cheaper.

That cocktail you used will work.
Posted via Mobile Device

B-Easy
08-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Never tried T Zone but I would be willing if it kills Spotted Spurge. The Triclopyr must be the thing, if it works for you. It does not appear that different from Surge, which we are using. Surge gives us a little more cushion with the temps down here. I would be worried about spraying that Triclopyr/Ester. But again, if it kills Spotted Spurge I would use just about anything right now. Good Luck

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-05-2011, 07:29 PM
TZone takes out spurge. Problem is, not a cheap ester to apply....
Also, I apply b/f 10AM or so, when temps are below 80 degrees. Quit spraying after that.....

americanlawn
08-05-2011, 07:58 PM
IMO Chaser Turf (ester) is safer on cool season turf than most any other BWC (especially amines) . Chaser ester also contains 16.5% triclopyr compared to similar brands that only contain half as much triclopyr. "Chaser Turf" herbicide wipes out hard-to-kill weeds like oxalis, spurge, knotweed, purslane, ground ivy, etc.

I normally use a Shurflo SRS 600 (battery-powered backpack sprayer). 1.5 oz per K of Chaser, then add some LI700, then add my crabgrass (or nutsedge) product. Keep in mind that a fine mist/spray offers much better control on all of the above compared to a lawn gun (larger droplet size). Also, it's best to spray when the weeds are fully leafed out compared to if "they just mowed". Then tell them not to mow or water for 3 - 5 days.

my 2 cents

RigglePLC
08-05-2011, 11:24 PM
I hope to do some tests on spurge using T-Zone in the next few days. I am not optimistic.
HOWEVER, a heavy shot of Drive followed by a heavy shot of T-zone is working well on violets--a little slow perhaps.

Thus far at 93 degrees--T-Zone applied in the heat at label rate, 3 times label rate and 5 times label rate--I found no injury to the rye/blue mixture grass. Also no injury from Lesco Eliminate.

After spraying a big poison ivy vine with T-Zone--stay tuned--need 24 more hours to see the effects.

jfoxtrot9
08-06-2011, 01:57 PM
DA, you have my curiosity! I notice that you have changed from Momentum to T Zone. (Is this right?) I am curious if you are getting desired results. I have been using Momentum for years (before the change). I still get pretty great resluts over a very large selection of weeds. I have also priced T Zone as more expensive than Momentum. Please share your thoughts.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-06-2011, 02:13 PM
DA, you have my curiosity! I notice that you have changed from Momentum to T Zone. (Is this right?) I am curious if you are getting desired results. I have been using Momentum for years (before the change). I still get pretty great resluts over a very large selection of weeds. I have also priced T Zone as more expensive than Momentum. Please share your thoughts.

You are right on with your comments my friend. The only reason I went away from Momentum FX2 (yes, it works well) is JDL went out of biz here in my local market. And the next closest location wants to charge me a rather absurd delivery charge to bring orders down to me. So, now I shop at Reinder's exclusively and TZone has been my summer hard to kill chem of choice. And yes, it is more expensive than Momentum. Next season, I would rather go back to Momentum personally - now that Imprelis has bombed out big time. Amine in hot weather (Momentum) is much more desirable than ester (TZone). I will post comments on effectiveness as they become available.

RigglePLC
08-06-2011, 05:23 PM
You might consider Horsepower--it has 5.59 percent triclopyr, but it also has dicamba--and I consider that very important. (Momentum has 3.86 percent triclopyr).

But for the really difficult weeds combine Horsepower plus T-Zone, both at full strength. Add plenty of surfactant , of course. Your mileage may vary.

PSUTURFGEEK
08-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Did you ever consider Tenacity? $ 50.00 an acre is pretty tough to beat and it gets everything.

jasontimm
08-08-2011, 02:22 PM
DA,
I've had great results with turflon ester mixed with the vessel at a fraction of the price of Tzone. Have you tried it? i only ask because Brad talked me out of Tzone in the spring and pushed me to the Turflon and i'm glad he did.

superintendent
08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Don't know about yall but drive is not working for me on CG. Went at a higher rate and put mso in with it. Like to know what is working and dam those cg are making me look bad

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
DA,
I've had great results with turflon ester mixed with the vessel at a fraction of the price of Tzone. Have you tried it? i only ask because Brad talked me out of Tzone in the spring and pushed me to the Turflon and i'm glad he did.

nope brad never mentioned that combo. i don't plan on using tzone for long anyway...going back to momentum next season (somehow) - i want an amine that is good on hard to controls for warmer weather, would like to steer mostly clear of esters.

pieperlc
08-08-2011, 06:29 PM
As toggle mentioned, take a look at horsepower. I get good results with this product through the summer months. No 2,4-d restrictions to worry about either. I'm thinking about going with escalade 2 this fall as imprelis is out and speedzone is getting pricey.
Posted via Mobile Device

GrandMaster
08-08-2011, 08:13 PM
You might consider Horsepower--it has 5.59 percent triclopyr, but it also has dicamba--and I consider that very important. (Momentum has 3.86 percent triclopyr).

But for the really difficult weeds combine Horsepower plus T-Zone, both at full strength. Add plenty of surfactant , of course. Your mileage may vary.

Speedzone and _________ whatever quin/halosufron/etc/Li700. Works mean.

dgw
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
yes , and im on board

still tweakin rates and such, but very happy

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=357079

dgw
08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Don't know about yall but drive is not working for me on CG. Went at a higher rate and put mso in with it. Like to know what is working and dam those cg are making me look bad

are you using a surfactant ?

you really have to get the chemical on the weed

when i do..........its smoked

with drive alone

dgw
08-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Speedzone and _________ whatever quin/halosufron/etc/Li700. Works mean.

but on hard to controls like oxalis and violet?

RigglePLC
08-08-2011, 11:07 PM
My neighbor let me do a tiny test on his vacant lot. Results after 48 hours.
T-zone: Excellent on oxalis (fried), fair on spurge, good on dandelion, poor on ground ivy. And this is a surprize...fair on crabgrass

Lesco Eliminate: Good on oxalis, poor on spurge, poor on ground ivy, none on crabgrass

T-Zone plus Eliminate: Excellent on oxalis, fair on spurge, poor on ground ivy, fair on crabgrass.

Surprize T-zone actually injures crabgrass.

In previous tests Drive worked good on crabgrass. If it is not working--calibrate again--be sure you are using enough. Include surfactant. At this date you need the maximum rate.

maelawncare
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Has anyone tried acclaim with tzone yet? Drive didnt seem to be working very well for me this year so I switched over to acclaim once I ran out last month.

RigglePLC
08-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Revising above comments about T-Zone, I am seeing slight injury to the grass at high rates on a Kentucky blue/rye mixture. Maybe I can try this again, but weather has cooled off.

Has anyone else seen injury to the grass from T-Zone?
Most likely from spot spray, of course.

dgw
08-13-2011, 08:05 AM
i saw some tip burn, but nothing serious