PDA

View Full Version : Firewood operations

MLI
10-27-2002, 02:44 PM
Anyone doing this....post some pics.....I just got a digital cam, and Ill post some pics soon of a guy down the street that has over 800 cord. He's selling to restraunts, and homeowners.

Guido
10-27-2002, 03:34 PM
I just brought back the thread from last year, I'm pretty sure you were invovlved in that. I'm buying wholesale from a guy (cut, split, seasoned, and loaded) and delivering it in the local area.

I seem to be the only one doing it around here.

I wrote in that thread that I am looking for some "onion or potato" sacks to start selling 1 cu. ft. bundles. I figure theres some good monry in this method if you have the spare time to bag some wood. I posted some numbers in the other thread also.

Check it out, and anyone that knows where I can order these bags, please look at the pic or check out the other thread and let me know.

Thanks!

Bob Minney
10-27-2002, 05:47 PM
http://www.iviindustries.com/textile_bags.htm

Guido
10-29-2002, 10:37 AM
Thanks man..........I haven't seen that company before. I just e-mailed them to see what they can do for me.

I've e-mailed a few similiar companies about 2 weeks ago, but no one has gotten back to me yet. Hopefully they will!

If not I'll be swearing the shrinkwrap blues!

No one else sells or delivers firewood??

Bob Minney
10-29-2002, 12:39 PM
Very few sell firewood in the city here anymore. November through April we have pollution alerts that ban burning in fireplace. Cold air causes inversion that hold pollution on ground so no fire-warm days aren't a problem but no fire needed.

Jusmowin
11-04-2002, 09:54 PM
Yea, I sell firewood . Last year I sold about 25 cords but this year I only have 5 cords to sell (supplier went out of biz )so I hope to sell about 30 to 35 cords next year if I can find a tree sevice or 2 that wants to get rid of some wood. Ive been selling oak, maple,and poplar cords for $140 to $150 a cord . Just wish I had a bigger lot so I could split and sell more wood.

scott's turf
11-05-2002, 07:40 AM
what do you figure that your hourly wage is in the cord wood business? Seems like a lot of work for $150/cord.

Tvov
11-05-2002, 07:51 AM
With the amount of time in cutting, moving, splitting, stacking, drying, loading, delivering, and then many times stacking again, for myself I've never found firewood to be profitable. I always joke that if I sold firewood I would charge $400-$500 per cord.

visions landscape
11-10-2002, 06:27 PM
the only time I made money with wood sales was in collage living in Dallas. I would go to my folks in NE Texas and bring a load back to sell at the apt.
complex where I lived, and that the profit just coverd my beer habit

KenH
11-10-2002, 07:19 PM
I forgot who I was talking to, but he told me , on average, a piece of wood is moved 20 times:
1. Tree is felled
2. Tree is logged up
3. Wood is loaded into truck
4. Wood in unloaded from truck
5. Wood is moved to splitter
6. Wood is split
7. Wood is thrown into a pile
8.Wood is put back into truck
9. Wood is brought to customers
10. Wood is unloaded at customers
11. Customer stacks wood
12. Customer brings wood into house
13. Customer puts wood into fire

I could only come up with 13. When you think about it, it is amazing how often it is handled.

Darryl G
11-11-2002, 01:44 AM
Wood runs about $100 to $120 a cord near me. At those prices, I don't see how anyone can make money selling it. Now take that same wood and put it in $5 bundles and I think you could make some money.

Jusmowin - Selling poplar? I wouldn't think anyone would buy it. It burns way fast and rots in a year. I split mine right away and use it for kindling. I imagine you just mix some of it in with the harder woods?

Jusmowin
11-17-2002, 09:56 PM
I can split a cord of wood in about an hour to an hour and a half in most cases. I will usualy split after I get home from mowing on the week days and will stack on the weekends . As for a wage, I figure since I sell the wood in the winter for extra money a wage really doesnt apply since I do all the work myself. But if I was doing the same work for someone else I wouldnt take less than $15.00 an hour.
As for the poplar, Yes your right Darryl Thats why I dont get alot of that wood. I wish I could find some more cherry or hickory, I dont have much of that wood .

Guido
11-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by darryl gesner
Wood runs about $100 to $120 a cord near me. At those prices, I don't see how anyone can make money selling it.

Try asking for a contractors discount or a discount in quantities....I gurantee you can find a supplier cheaper then that.

Good Luck!

Lawn277
11-18-2002, 02:19 PM
Try to market your fire wood in the Quicktrips and handimarts and such. Here in Iowa they sell about 6 pieces wood, anything from oak to maple, in a clear plastic bag for about $6.00, thats gotta figure up to about $300.00 per cord

Rick

Guido
11-21-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Lawn277
Try to market your fire wood in the Quicktrips and handimarts and such. Here in Iowa they sell about 6 pieces wood, anything from oak to maple, in a clear plastic bag for about $6.00, thats gotta figure up to about $300.00 per cord

You can make a killing if there's a market. I did the numbers and I can pull $500 + in PROFIT a cord.

Here's another intresting thread on the firewood issue from last year. My numbers for the sacks are on page 3.

http://207.44.158.62/~admin2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7145&perpage=20&highlight=firewood&pagenumber=1

Grasshog
12-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Ok some I'm not up to speed here. We just had a ice storm go through the area. 1.2 million people without power. Now we are in the middle of clean up. Going door to door. My problem here is, I have never had anything to do with selling firewood. I have tons of hardwood all ready and tons more coming in. Next year I should be a firewood selling King. So whats a cord?

Darryl G
12-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Grasshog - A cord is a pile of stacked wood 4 foot wide, 4 foot tall and 8 feet long.

Katwalk
12-08-2002, 08:29 AM
Stacked is 8'x4'x4'....or for us it is a 97 GMC dump with two side boards filled to the top. That is a healthy cord delivered within 5 miles for $195/cord. Basically, we took the would and stacked a legit measured cord...then through it into the truck and said ..looks good. Thats how I came up with that. Good Luck.

Grasshog
12-14-2002, 04:05 PM
Darryl and Katealk. I often wonder what a cord was. Its seemed everyone but me knew, so I never asked

Grasshog
12-14-2002, 04:13 PM
OO YA Thanks.

PAPS
12-14-2002, 04:45 PM
Cord of wood = 440 pieces

Firewood is only profitable if you have a wood processor and are doing huge volume. If your splitting with a machine or by hand... there is very little to no profit in it.

On the other hand, tree guys who use firewood operations as a means to get rid of wood.... thats different.

bob
12-14-2002, 09:45 PM
Need this, http://onlinestore.forestindustry.com/baileys/images/items/bb-combo300.jpg

bob
12-14-2002, 09:47 PM
$23,500.00, at http://www.baileys-online.com/

Katwalk
12-15-2002, 08:29 AM
Bob, $23,500 gets me more than half way to my new F-450 crew cab, power-stroke with 9' V-plow and Stainless Spreader!!!! That is a serious machine.....

P. Baxter
12-15-2002, 10:34 PM
I have been selling firewood for years the only way to do it is by selling in bundles to make good money. One of our local chain stores does it at about $300.00 per face cord!!!! A friend of mine does it at about $125.00 per face in the summer. I do it in the winter to keep the crew busy and help pay the bills when there is no snow to move. I purchased a commerical splitter 2 years ago and 2 of us split approx 20 face in 3 hours and we decided to go have a beer. You can spend alot of money on firewood equipment with not a lot of return so be careful with it.

fblandscape
12-19-2002, 02:55 AM
PAPS-
How do you know that it takes 440 pieces of firewood to make a cord? I would be interested to hear about that.

Also, if you want to make money in wood... sell it for lumber. There is no money in firewood unless you are selling massive quanitities and are using a processor, which also requires a loader of some form, and a good size dump truck.

Tree companies who know anything and who do small quantities of firewood do it for a couple of reasons... 1) keep the guys busy on bad days when other work is not fiesable or available... 2) a loss leader.

sirsweatsalot
12-30-2002, 11:16 AM
well i guess this may be helpful. he sells firewood and he sells it for like 130 a cord but the thing is he's getting all the wood for free all he has to do is split it. the city parks department drop it all off at his place already cut. i think thats a pretty sweet deal for him.

bob
12-31-2002, 12:29 AM
While at Home Depot I looked at the packaged firewood. $3.79 for .75 cubic feet. That comes out to $647 a cord. 4x4x8=128, divided by .75, x 3.79.

LawnLad
12-31-2002, 03:36 PM
Friend of mine has used firewood as a way to grow his tree business. Granted he's a work aholic and any free time he used to have was spent splitting fire wood. He sold it at a premium price and marketed it as such. He also sells in an upscale area where he can get $100 or $120 a ric.

He started with a good ole log splitter in high school, single wedge. The next splitter had a four or six way wedge. Bought a bobcat with grapler bucket to move logs around. Then he bought a conveyor. Recently (three years ago) he bought a log processor to go with his conveyor. Also bought a used log truck so now he has a crane/lift to move the logs around with. He buys truck loads of logs from other tree guys for $300 a pop and makes the wood.

The key is that he has done most of the work himself and purchased equipment to allow him to increase his volume and profits without having to add more labor hours. His tree business has now grown so that he keeps a laborer/employee on hand and he will help at times with deliveries or stacking, but it wasn't always that way.

By doing a hundred cord a year back when, he took his $20 K and poured it back into his wood business. Now, who knows how much he does. But it's been a good add on business for when he's not cutting trees. He can use it as filler work for himself on days he has nothing to do or on the weekend. Cut the wood all year and then sell it in the fall. He sells out almost everything each year.

Not a bad add on business if you've got the space. If he paid someone to do the splitting, stacking, delivering he might have only covered his expenses, with little to put in his pocket. But that's like any business. You can't hire an employee until you have the business to support it.

bob
12-31-2002, 08:34 PM
I've been busy cutting for my personal stash!

fblandscape
01-01-2003, 05:30 PM
I was looking through a catalog the other day... $40,000+ for firewood processors.

CMLLawnServices
01-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Man thats pretty deer for wood up here we get slab wood for 180 bucks for 10 cord delivered. We also cut it and if u buy tops u can usually geta couple of cord out of it. a nice ash top goes for 30-50 bucks.