PDA

View Full Version : TG strange spray method....

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Drove by a property in my town today, and TG was treating with a hose/gun. Drove slow and wanted to see how this dude was doing. He had a very strange method to spraying. He was going back and forth on the lawn just fine, following his hose, but he would spray for 2 seconds, then gun off for 2 seconds, then repeat over and over. If he is blanketing, that is ripping the customer off. If he is spot spraying, that was way too orderly of a pattern in my book....

americanlawn
08-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Same here, most TG trucks in our area are currently pulling hoses too. I figure they're mainly doing BWC apps with no feeding of the turf -- that's why blanket spraying is not always necessary. Maybe only spraying weeds is part of their 8-step program -- not sure. I have no problem with what they're doing -- especially cuz our local TruGreen branch does a nice job.

My company's program was originally developed by our land grant university's recommendations -- 5-step program with free service calls. Most local competitors sell a 6-step program, but I hate to charge folks more than 5 times a year. Maybe I'm old school.

Ric
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Same here, most TG trucks in our area are currently pulling hoses too. I figure they're mainly doing BWC apps with no feeding of the turf -- that's why blanket spraying is not always necessary. Maybe only spraying weeds is part of their 8-step program -- not sure. I have no problem with what they're doing -- especially cuz our local TruGreen branch does a nice job.

My company's program was originally developed by our land grant university's recommendations -- 5-step program with free service calls. Most local competitors sell a 6-step program, but I hate to charge folks more than 5 times a year. Maybe I'm old school.

Larry

You are the right person to answer any TG/CL question since you were trained by them and follow their game plan in your own business.

RigglePLC
08-05-2011, 11:12 PM
On and off every 2 seconds? What? Never saw that before. And I worked for them for 5 years. Maybe it was under measured and maybe the front office insisted that he cannot use more gallons than sqft.

LawnsRUsInc.
08-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Sounds like he had a service call earlier in the day and was running low on chemicals or he did his moms house off the books and had to do the customer on the light side ;)

Ric
08-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Sounds like he had a service call earlier in the day and was running low on chemicals or he did his moms house off the books and had to do the customer on the light side ;)

Lawns

Think we have all heard stories about Light applications Off the Books and the problems that occurred because of them. I believe it happens more than we realize because we only hear about the ones that go bad. But I think if the guy wanted to save chemical he could of just waked a lot faster. I have seen Spray techs cut S patterns in a lawn while running backwards.

americanlawn
08-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Example: I treated a lawn 40 miles west of here on Friday. I applied a 50% slow release granular fertilizer to the entire lawn. Then I spot sprayed weeds where prudent. But when I ran into large sections of the lawn that were very weedy, I pulled the hose out and sprayed "off & on". This method made the most sense for me on that particular property cuz many new dandelions had recently emerged (irrigated lawn).

We typically do not "blanket spray" herbicides during hot summer months unless it's absolutely necessary. IPC involves using herbicides judiciously -- plus one has to follow the annual herbicide use rate.

Something to think about.

Drove by a property in my town today, and TG was treating with a hose/gun. Drove slow and wanted to see how this dude was doing. He had a very strange method to spraying. He was going back and forth on the lawn just fine, following his hose, but he would spray for 2 seconds, then gun off for 2 seconds, then repeat over and over. If he is blanketing, that is ripping the customer off. If he is spot spraying, that was way too orderly of a pattern in my book....

Hissing Cobra
08-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I know that when I used to be an applicator and I'd get a service call to spray weeds, I'd go to the property and check out the severity of the situation. If it was a small lawn with 15 or 20 weeds, I'd pull out my backpack and spot treat them. If it was 10,000 sq. feet of turf with 2,000 sq. feet of weeds, I'd pull out my hose and blanket spray that one section. I used my head to get the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible. Spraying at 2 gallons per minute and able to cover 1,000 sq. ft. per minute is a lot faster than using a backpack in a lot of instances. Again, it's the severity of the situation that dictated how I approached the problem.

americanlawn
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Nice post HC -- I could not agree more. :usflag::canadaflag:

I know that when I used to be an applicator and I'd get a service call to spray weeds, I'd go to the property and check out the severity of the situation. If it was a small lawn with 15 or 20 weeds, I'd pull out my backpack and spot treat them. If it was 10,000 sq. feet of turf with 2,000 sq. feet of weeds, I'd pull out my hose and blanket spray that one section. I used my head to get the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible. Spraying at 2 gallons per minute and able to cover 1,000 sq. ft. per minute is a lot faster than using a backpack in a lot of instances. Again, it's the severity of the situation that dictated how I approached the problem.

Ric
08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Example: I treated a lawn 40 miles west of here on Friday. I applied a 50% slow release granular fertilizer to the entire lawn. Then I spot sprayed weeds where prudent. But when I ran into large sections of the lawn that were very weedy, I pulled the hose out and sprayed "off & on". This method made the most sense for me on that particular property cuz many new dandelions had recently emerged (irrigated lawn).

We typically do not "blanket spray" herbicides during hot summer months unless it's absolutely necessary. IPC involves using herbicides judiciously -- plus one has to follow the annual herbicide use rate.

Something to think about.

Larry

Why on earth would you travel 40 miles to treat a customer???? Can't you make a living in your own area???

MOW ED
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I think they have strange methods too. I figured they were spraying straight product because it was raining at about 3/4" an hour while 6 trucks were spraying a large insurance firm earlier this year. You get what you pay for and sometimes much less.