PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting into building

PatriotLandscape
08-05-2011, 08:51 PM
I have a customer who asked me to build her a new house. She is a long time customer and has a lot of trust in me. We have been mowing her lawn and pruning her shrubs for years and we always have done a good job. My question is can someone help me put together the proposal? We aren't getting plans drawn up to save some cash on the job. Anyone have any ideas on how I should charge?

what color paint do you guys use?
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
ok, let me get this straight.

She wants to build a house, but doesn't want to have any plans?? How on earth will you get a building permit for this????

Is this a trick topic?! Are you mocking the mowing guys?!

KrayzKajun
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
i would build a model out of toothpicks first! tht way u can use it as a reference when framing the house.

JB1
08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a customer who asked me to build her a new house. She is a long time customer and has a lot of trust in me. We have been mowing her lawn and pruning her shrubs for years and we always have done a good job. My question is can someone help me put together the proposal? We aren't getting plans drawn up to save some cash on the job. Anyone have any ideas on how I should charge?

Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I bet you've built houses before. Just not any with yellow walls, so that's why you need help?

RussellB
08-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Why not just marry her, let her move in with you and then purchase new equipment with the money you saved her?
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
08-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I like cat yellow for a color...the new yellow not the old one

stuvecorp
08-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Why not just marry her, let her move in with you and then purchase new equipment with the money you saved her?
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh: Now there is some good thinkin'! Way to have your priorities in order.

White Gardens
08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Subscribed! I want to hear how this joke ends.

Stillwater
08-05-2011, 11:02 PM
We do new construction and step 1 is a plan......

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Maybe you can build
Her house for free and she can design you a new
Logo?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bru75
08-06-2011, 12:29 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Remember: every time the inspector rejects something, just say "that's how the owner wanted it!"

PatriotLandscape
08-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! But really I need help with pricing. What are you guys seeing in your neck of the woods per square foot?

I have built many walls before. Just usually from block.

Yellow sounds like a great idea!

I have been trying to build a model all night out of toothpicks as suggested but the nails seem to be destroying them. Do I need different sized nails for the model? Should I not use my framing nailer for it? I'm thinking of building the model actual size so we get a Good feel for the space.
Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
08-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Do I really need to get inspections?
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm sure the mason you'll use to build the chimney is "the best mason in the state". And the house's foundation probably will only be 18-inches in the ground.

RussellB
08-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I would cut down all of the trees on her property and the neighboring properties and build a log cabin. Think of all the savings. No need to purchase lumber or paint and from what I learned on another forum you don,t need a foundation when you construct a log home.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
08-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I am trying to sell my house I think I will just cover all the vomit up with rugs. and Hide he jizz on the walls with billy Idol posters.

rut-row..... I know the road this thred is going down...........

PatriotLandscape
08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Just finished watching "flip this house" I think I'm ready to submit my proposal.

Seems like house building is easy.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
08-06-2011, 09:48 AM
That's the right attitude!

I love how the cable DIY shows make everything look easy. Really gives HO's the confidence to screw up a project and then call a professional in to fix it.

PatriotLandscape
08-06-2011, 03:56 PM
She signed it!!!1!!

I just want to say thanks to all you guys. I got masking price too! $45 a square foot! Can you believe it!

I will post pics soon, we start the demo tomorrow!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bru75
08-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I love this thread.

RussellB
08-07-2011, 08:56 AM
She signed it!!!1!!

I just want to say thanks to all you guys. I got masking price too! $45 a square foot! Can you believe it!

I will post pics soon, we start the demo tomorrow!
Posted via Mobile Device How are you going about the demo? I'd probably place M 80's one foot apart around the foundation then find another LCO to sub out firing the rascals off. If you calculate the placement of the M 80's correctly nothing should be left but dust and you can build right on top of it. Lots of savings.
Posted via Mobile Device