PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer Z Spindle Replacement

timeisforchange
08-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I have a 2004 Exmark Lazer Z. Model no. LZ27KC524, Serial no. 454495. I am trying to:

1) Locate the correct spindle replacement. The owner's manual says the OEM is 103-3200, whereas I've seen websites that say this is for the 60" deck, not my 52". What is the correct OEM number?

2) Find out if anyone has replaced their own spindles? Any problems, tricks or tips?

Floridalandcare
08-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Ive done it on one of my lazers . Its real easy . Pop the idler off and unbolt it from the bottom.

timeisforchange
08-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks man, that's a little relief!

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-06-2011, 09:38 PM
This may not apply to you but I just bought an exmark with noisy spindles. Was going to replace all three but ended up just putting new bearings in. $30 for all the bearings vs. $150 ea. for spindles.
Might save you some money unless yours are wore out.
Posted via Mobile Device

timeisforchange
08-06-2011, 10:07 PM
My spindles are definitely worn out, but I found it cheaper than $150 a pop. On Ebay, genuine Oregon part - $254.97 for all 3, comes with free shipping too! Pulley, housing and all.

I would like to know how you swapped the bearings in the spindle? I've heard they are NOT easy to replace..is this true? Trick to it?

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
The shaft is sometimes tricky to get out or the pulley wont come off without heating with a torch: but for the most part it is pretty easy.
Posted via Mobile Device

MoGreen
08-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

MoGreen
08-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't mean to thread jack, but are the spindles where the gears are? Just bought a zero turn for cheap and the right one is chattering when I try to move....is it a bad hydro pump or gears/spindles?
Thanks..
Posted via Mobile Device

timeisforchange
08-08-2011, 08:51 PM
A spindle is the part that (under the cutting deck) a bolt goes into to hold the blade in place, and (on top of the deck) has a pulley attached to it so the deck belt can be looped around to spin the blade.

timeisforchange
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
The shaft is sometimes tricky to get out or the pulley wont come off without heating with a torch: but for the most part it is pretty easy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm, if the shaft is stuck in there, do you think I could put a screwdriver on the end of it and tap with a hammer to get it out? Is there risk of damaging anything if I did that?

I can't wait to get these spindles...they shipped today.

rwaters
08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Don't mean to thread jack, but are the spindles where the gears are? Just bought a zero turn for cheap and the right one is chattering when I try to move....is it a bad hydro pump or gears/spindles?
Thanks..
Posted via Mobile Device

that would be a wheel motor your thinking of, and it could be a pump or a wheel motor hard to say from your post.

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-08-2011, 11:14 PM
I use an air hammer but elbow grease could whack it outta there
Posted via Mobile Device

groundsmechanic
08-12-2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/103-4693.pdf

That is the parts manual for your mower and the 52" deck breakdown shows the part number you mentioned although it has changed to 103-8075. And if you look at the 60" deck, it is the same part number. The only difference in the 52" and 60" would be the belts and the spacing of the spindles, the parts should be the same.

As far as changing them, they are a piece of cake.

Take the belt off.
Take the blade off.
Take the nut holding the pulley on off.
Unbolt the spindle from the deck.
Position the new spindle on the deck and bolt up.
Put on pulley.
Put on belt.
Put on blade.

As far as rebuilding them, it really isn't that hard but a screwdriver and a hammer won't cut it. A BFH or a press would be best.

timeisforchange
08-13-2011, 12:07 AM
http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/103-4693.pdf

That is the parts manual for your mower and the 52" deck breakdown shows the part number you mentioned although it has changed to 103-8075. And if you look at the 60" deck, it is the same part number. The only difference in the 52" and 60" would be the belts and the spacing of the spindles, the parts should be the same.

As far as changing them, they are a piece of cake.

Take the belt off.
Take the blade off.
Take the nut holding the pulley on off.
Unbolt the spindle from the deck.
Position the new spindle on the deck and bolt up.
Put on pulley.
Put on belt.
Put on blade.

As far as rebuilding them, it really isn't that hard but a screwdriver and a hammer won't cut it. A BFH or a press would be best.

Although I knew to take the belt and blades off, this really will help me when I go to replace these!! And thank you for giving me confirmation about the parts number! Most appreciated :)