PDA

View Full Version : $140,000 sod cutter 4 sale

LAWNGODFATHER
10-27-2002, 09:29 PM
I called an ad in the biz op section of the paper this evening.

He has a landsacping co for sale.

It grosses around $240K to $270k a year.

"Well established" 14 year old company.

With all accounts, plenty of repete biz.

All equipment, and trucks.

Had the "what ya got" spheal from him.

He has repete biz from 3 builders he has done biz with for the last 14 years. Has lots of contacts to buy this or that at some savings, but it is all some distance of traveling time.

He can get huge amounts of maintenance accounts if you wanted them (at an additional price)

Has some resi accounts that call him for this or that.

Equipment.....

-1988- Chevy Crew Cab Duelly (he paid $28k for it in '88) with a Recichers 9' flat bed dump (he paid $5k fo it in '88)

-1989- Chevy 1 ton pickup (he paid $24k for it in '88)

-1987- Chevy S10 (didn't say what he paid for it) that could be included at an additional fee, he uses it to drive around an look at accounts. BUT it needs a trasmision.

-1989- Ryan Sod cutter (he paid $3500 for it in '89)

2 wheel dolly (tree ball dolly)

3- wheel barrows

Some shovels and other little bits of stuff.

NO CONTRACTS OR ANY GUARNTEES

He is asking $140,000...He claims he nets about $80k a year.

I asked what he has that I can take to a bank and get a loan on......

He repeted his list of equipment again, and tells me he can go to a bank and get a $140k with this no problem.

I asked what he wanted for the equipment and got the list repeted again.

So I told him, you want what you paid for this stuff back in 1988 or 89...........................

Ok sure thanks anyways dude.....bye.

That was a summery of my 30 minute phone call with him.

Any thoughts on this?

Anyone want his number for this lovely biz?

MacLawnCo
10-27-2002, 09:37 PM
Thats a steal, you need to jump on it before any of your competition does. If they beat you to it, you may be unemplyed in no time at all. I may even move out there for a bus at that good of a price. :rolleyes:

Brickman
10-27-2002, 09:49 PM
Tell him to put it on Ebay. He may find some body dumb enough to pay that there. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

dlandscaping
10-27-2002, 10:21 PM
LGF,
I need that guys number, i am sending am email to BHB.

TLS
10-27-2002, 11:05 PM
I can tell you right now... He WAY overpaid for those two trucks! My '90 LOADED was $20553.73 including TAX.

Largest check I ever cut. Have it framed!

Bob Minney
10-28-2002, 12:14 AM
We all have fantasies-mine just involve things other than selling my business for 50X what its worth.:D :D

I know mine will come true before somebody gives this guy 140K

forgot to ask-did he give details on shovels? Must be some nice ones, how much were they new in 88?

Ryan Lightning
10-28-2002, 12:53 AM
I got $500 on the 1 ton.:p

LLMSERVICE
10-28-2002, 07:42 AM
I tried selling my business turn key in '97, asking $70 K (Canadian $) or about $50 K US$

The list included 2 trucks - a 95 and 96 GMC 3/4 ton with Western unimount plows, Toro Proline 118, two Toro Proline 21" WB, four Ariens 21" WB, two Tanaka trimmers, Tanaka Hedge saw, three snow blowers, two single axle trailers, Ryan aerator and dethatcher plus the client list. A couple of potential buyers came close but they had no clue what they were doing. I ended up parting out the equipment separately to different buyers. The list went to someone else.

In 2001 I re-entered the business, mainly because some of my former clients didn't like their new service provider and urged me to return to the biz.

I imagine his price is not simply for the equipment but for the clients as well and is based on a formula tied into the gross sales and net return. However, a lot of business relationship build up is based on personality and those contractors and clients may not wish to go with the new owner.

If anyone is interested in this opportunity, they should see a client list and talk with those clients seeking some sort of commitment prior to making the purchase.

dmk395
10-28-2002, 08:01 AM
If he had contracts what would you be willing to pay?

Gravely_Man
10-28-2002, 12:49 PM
This has the makings of another great Ebay deal. This made me smile but as I always say you don't get what you don't ask for.

Gravely_Man