PDA

View Full Version : MP Rotator vs Single Stream Rotor

txirrigation
08-06-2011, 05:46 PM
What do you guys think?

In my experince many customers end up running the MPR so much longer that the water savings by the design goes null. Seems like I also get more coverage complaints on the MPR's. I space the 3000's @ 25', 2000 @ 17' (although they are pretty good at 20), and I do not use the 1000's bc they dont work that great.

Also if the customer does not keep the grass cut, the grass blades KILL the MPR streams while the single stream seems to perform OK in long grass. Although the grass should be cut to keep it under the riser hight, we all know the "I mow once every 3 weeks/month customer." Then they wonder why the grass is soooo grean by the sprinkler head, and dead out in the yard.

All this being said, the MPR definitly has advantages. If the customer cuts the grass and understands the concept, they will have much more uniformly green grass with the MPR.

I always try to gauge the home owner before I suggest one or the other.

Kiril
08-06-2011, 06:10 PM
What do you guys think?

In my experince many customers end up running the MPR so much longer that the water savings by the design goes null.

Not following you? A single stream rotor PR rates will generally be close to or considerably lower than the MPR for a comparable radius which means longer run times than the MPR.

I also fail to see how the water savings go out the window. Higher distribution uniformity is what it is. Anything that affects the performance of the MPR will affect the performance of a single stream rotor equally or more so, with the possible exception of plant blockage.

Seems like I also get more coverage complaints on the MPR's. I space the 3000's @ 25', 2000 @ 17' (although they are pretty good at 20), and I do not use the 1000's bc they dont work that great.

I use them all, 1000 - 3000 and have no complaints with coverage. If it is a design issue, the MPR can make up for some of the deficiencies, but it isn't a magic bullet either.

Also if the customer does not keep the grass cut, the grass blades KILL the MPR streams while the single stream seems to perform OK in long grass. Although the grass should be cut to keep it under the riser hight, we all know the "I mow once every 3 weeks/month customer." Then they wonder why the grass is soooo grean by the sprinkler head, and dead out in the yard.

Then use 6" pops or cut down on the water and ferts so it doesn't grow so fast if you are only cutting once a month.

GreenLight
08-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I always hear the "longer run times needed" for mp's vs standard rotors and I still don't get this. Every performance chart I have ever seen says the MP is a close equivalent per radius @ 40 psi to a RB Standard angle 4.0 and a Hunter (red nozzle) 7. Those are both fairly high distribution rate nozzles for residential apps and the MP is about on the same precip rate as both (roughly .4 inches per hour).

I will agree, that I believe you have to over spray edges a bit with mps as they put out a bit of a false radius as they open up and die off.

txirrigation
08-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I always hear the "longer run times needed" for mp's vs standard rotors and I still don't get this. Every performance chart I have ever seen says the MP is a close equivalent per radius @ 40 psi to a RB Standard angle 4.0 and a Hunter (red nozzle) 7. Those are both fairly high distribution rate nozzles for residential apps and the MP is about on the same precip rate as both (roughly .4 inches per hour).

I will agree, that I believe you have to over spray edges a bit with mps as they put out a bit of a false radius as they open up and die off.

The edges are irritating! To pass an inspection nothing can land on hardscapes, but to get good coverage throughout the throw you have to spray on the hardscape.

Kiril- I am doubting your real world knowlege. Just because it says so in the books, doesnt mean it is so in practice. When you are using the single stream they put down water much faster in the area that the water is landing. Meaning when your using a #7 in a pgp you are putting 3.5 gpm in one stream. With the MPR 3000 you are spreading the 3.14 gpm over many different streams.

Although the book may say different we consistantly have to run MPR's 4-6 min longer to get the same result out of a PGP, 5004, i-20 etc. What I mean by the same result is, green grass.

Wet_Boots
08-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I run single-stream rotor zones far longer than stream rotor zones.

(probably because I space PGP heads ninety feet apart :p)

mitchgo
08-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Mpr's rotator and the toro precisions uniformity is unmatched compared to a rotor head.

It's claimed you only need 30% overlap on a mpr zone and achieve the same results of a head to head back to back rotor zone due to the uniformity

Mpr's do run longer then rotors because they use less water.. In a way they do use the same amount of water however the water is being applied much more effeicently

They all have there places

GreenLight
08-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Mpr's do run longer then rotors because they use less water..

Sorry, I know it's argumentative, but really this isn't altogether true. MP's use less water because they don't have as large of a radial pattern as a true standard rotor in most cases.

Every mp has a higher precip rate than RB standard nozzles until you get to the 4.0, based on 45 psi.

rlpsystems
08-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Mitch is right..... they have there places .... and thats it. Its kinda funny at how they use a third less water......so now a one hour run time turns into a 3 hour run time
Field experience means more to me than a pamphlet brochure or a book from the designer

Kiril
08-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Sorry, I know it's argumentative, but really this isn't altogether true. MP's use less water because they don't have as large of a radial pattern as a true standard rotor in most cases.

Every mp has a higher precip rate than RB standard nozzles until you get to the 4.0, based on 45 psi.

I'll be equally as argumentative and say it isn't about radius at all, it is about distribution uniformity.

txirrigation
08-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Back to the topic. Which do you guys prefer?

For a while I was a MPR guy, after 175-200 systems with them I think I am going to move back to the PGP/5004

Wet_Boots
08-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Back to the topic. Which do you guys prefer?

For a while I was a MPR guy, after 175-200 systems with them I think I am going to move back to the PGP/5004What are your failure patterns with the MPRs? One reason I will favor a Toro Stream Rotor head, besides the cleaner patterns, is that their failures are concentrated at season startup.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 01:56 AM
I'll take a single stream low angle rotor myself.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 08:43 AM
mpr's sounded like a great idea when all the sales reps were pushing them.....
they have a place.......bottom bin, and to the left of those greenskeeper 212 modules.
95% of my systems pull from a lake so I'm not going to use them. single stream #8 nozzle for me. mprs are a great idea for city water....but again....longer run time
I've seen it, and I am dealing with it now........

GreenLight
08-07-2011, 09:21 AM
The mp is taking a beating. I really do like them and think they have great performance for the most part. I do agree completely that they are not rock solid on the edges and generally take a 10% overspray in each direction to avoid brown spots. Granted if you are accustomed to pulling from a pump and using a large nozzle rotor that is pumping 5-6 gpm a minute then the mp can't compete and shouldn't compete. Smaller residential applications imo they simply can't be touched for flexibility and continuity (example 20-25' width x 65 length with all types of curvature and hourglass design).

txirrigation
08-07-2011, 09:34 AM
The mp is taking a beating. I really do like them and think they have great performance for the most part. I do agree completely that they are not rock solid on the edges and generally take a 10% overspray in each direction to avoid brown spots. Granted if you are accustomed to pulling from a pump and using a large nozzle rotor that is pumping 5-6 gpm a minute then the mp can't compete and shouldn't compete. Smaller residential applications imo they simply can't be touched for flexibility and continuity (example 20-25' width x 65 length with all types of curvature and hourglass design).

I can agree with that.

Who has used the Toro mulit stream? Toro does not have a big name here, but the supplier had one sitting on the desk last week and he said he was going to start selling them. From what I understand they are gear driven?
Anyone with experince post up and give a review.

txirrigation
08-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Kiril-

I saw your post before it was removed. Most of the places I work in we have to submit a plan to the city Architect which he then reviews and if it passes then we get the permit. After we install the system we then have to call out the inspector to come out and confirm that we installed the system per our specs, and any as-built changes have to be noted in red ink and to code.

There are different inspectors and you never know which one is going to show up so I install to the stictest one's standard every time.

-If wind is blowing over 10mph - FAIL
-One drop of water lands on sidewalk, hardscape, house - FAIL
-Anything but dripline used in an area less than 7 ft wide - FAIL
-Matched precip comprimised for any reason- FAIL
-System not hydrozoned- FAIL
-Rain sensor not set at 1/4in-48hr- FAIL
-Heads closer than 6 in to hardscape- FAIL
-Head to Head spacing comprimised- FAIL
-Sprays mixed with rotors- FAIL
-Seasonal run times, gpm per zone, water budget chart not posted-FAIL

I am also:

Licensed Prof Irrigator
Licensed Irrigation Auditor
Licensed BPAT
Austin Water Wise Cert

Kiril
08-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I am also:

Licensed Prof Irrigator
Licensed Irrigation Auditor
Licensed BPAT
Austin Water Wise Cert

Don't really care what you are dude .... you are simply wrong here, and until you compare a catch can audit between an MPR nozzle and a comparable radius single stream rotor nozzle that fact will not change.

Wet_Boots
08-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I can agree with that.

Who has used the Toro mulit stream? Toro does not have a big name here, but the supplier had one sitting on the desk last week and he said he was going to start selling them. From what I understand they are gear driven?
Anyone with experince post up and give a review.Are you speaking of the Toro 300 series Stream Rotor? Or maybe the V-1550?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I think its time for a Kiril has become irrelevant day. If ones only purpose on a forum is to see how many people can dislike him then you are doing a d@mn fine job of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

txirrigation
08-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Don't really care what you are dude .... you are simply wrong here, and until you compare a catch can audit between an MPR nozzle and a comparable radius single stream rotor nozzle that fact will not change.

"Dude," I was comparing them because they were similar GPM.

I would say all the same things about a PGP-R2 as a R7

The reason you don't care "Dude" is because I just dont say I know what I am talking about, I have taken the steps to get licensed to PROVE I know what I am talking about. And no, just because I have a license doesnt mean I am an expert. The experinced gained over 100's of installs means I am an expert.

txirrigation
08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Are you speaking of the Toro 300 series Stream Rotor? Or maybe the V-1550?

I am not too sure, it was a multi stream nozzle that had click adjustments from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. It had a tool (plastic wrench) with it to help click between. It is supposed to be gear driven so it does not spin really fast like the RainBird/Hunter Multi Streams in higher psi situations.

I didn't have much time to look at it, and have not read anything on it.

Wet_Boots
08-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I am not too sure, it was a multi stream nozzle that had click adjustments from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. It had a tool (plastic wrench) with it to help click between. It is supposed to be gear driven so it does not spin really fast like the RainBird/Hunter Multi Streams in higher psi situations.

I didn't have much time to look at it, and have not read anything on it.Find it, and post a link.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
"Dude," I was comparing them because they were similar GPM.

I would say all the same things about a PGP-R2 as a R7

The reason you don't care "Dude" is because I just dont say I know what I am talking about, I have taken the steps to get licensed to PROVE I know what I am talking about. And no, just because I have a license doesnt mean I am an expert. The experinced gained over 100's of installs means I am an expert.

Again .... don't care. I have audit numbers sitting in front of me on a MPR system and a PGP system, and guess what ..... it is taking twice as long to put down the same amount of water for the PGP system than the MPR system. So you can say what you want, and make all the claims you want, but the numbers don't lie.

ArTurf
08-07-2011, 11:14 AM
What do you guys think?

In my experince many customers end up running the MPR so much longer that the water savings by the design goes null. Seems like I also get more coverage complaints on the MPR's. I space the 3000's @ 25', 2000 @ 17' (although they are pretty good at 20), and I do not use the 1000's bc they dont work that great.

All this being said, the MPR definitly has advantages. If the customer cuts the grass and understands the concept, they will have much more uniformly green grass with the MPR.

I always try to gauge the home owner before I suggest one or the other.

I like the MP's if the situation is right (spacing within the range and right pressure). See the post I started about MP spacing. I don't like to knock regulars rotors down to say 25' when they would normally spray 35'. I feel this results in a poorer distribution pattern and more misting.

As far as run times if you are using a 2-4 gpm nozzle in a regular rotor then the precipitation rate is similiar to the MP. In reality the MP does not save water in that it takes a certain amount of water to cover an area no matter what head you are using. I feel it makes more efficient use of water by less vaporization in the before mentioned situations.

I never use 4" heads on MP's or sprays for new installation, always at least 6". One reason my bids are probably higher than my competitors. I have seen the grass overcome the riser height of a 4" head even in well kept lawns. If you are using 6" heads and the customer is letting the grass overcome them turn the system on so they can visually see this. If they can't get it then I guess there's not much more you can do. I always put a note on the bill about things like this so I can say "I informed you" if they bring it up again.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Have you or TXI tried the low angle rotor nozzles? I think they do a better job in wind that any nozzle that is spraying 25' plus. They also do a nice job picking up the edges.
Just be curious to hear what you guys think. The LA comes standard on the RB 5000 but you need to request them for the pgp.

I notice RB has added a new rotor 5500 that they say can go down to 17'.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Have you or TXI tried the low angle rotor nozzles? I think they do a better job in wind that any nozzle that is spraying 25' plus. They also do a nice job picking up the edges.
Just be curious to hear what you guys think. The LA comes standard on the RB 5000 but you need to request them for the pgp.

According to TXI and TX law ..... you FAIL with a single drop of water on the hardscape/buildings, so you might as well forget any single stream rotor in areas that are bordered by hardscape and buildings. For all the whining and complaining about edge performance of the MPR, I sure would like to see anyone on this forum edge water hardscape with a standard single stream rotor without getting a single drop of water on the hardscape. :rolleyes:

bcg
08-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Kiril, that's not true. The law says that overspray should be minimized, not eliminated. From 344.63(g) of the code (http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/compliance/compliance_support/regulatory/irrigation/forms_li/rulesforregguid_063008.pdf) -

"(g) Irrigation systems shall not spray water over surfaces made of concrete, asphalt, brick, wood, stones set with mortar, or any other impervious material, such as, but not limited to, walls, fences, sidewalks, streets, etc."

This says we can't spray over it, not that we can't touch it. Enforcement of "no water allowed to touch hard surfaces" is overzealous interpretation and enforcement by the inspector. I've clarified this with TCEQ on more than one occasion and the intent of that paragraph is to prevent the systems where rotors are intentionally spraying over sidewalks, etc., not to stop any edge overspray.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Kiril, that's not true. The law says that overspray should be minimized, not eliminated. From 344.63(g) of the code (http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/compliance/compliance_support/regulatory/irrigation/forms_li/rulesforregguid_063008.pdf) -

"(g) Irrigation systems shall not spray water over surfaces made of concrete, asphalt, brick, wood, stones set with mortar, or any other impervious material, such as, but not limited to, walls, fences, sidewalks, streets, etc."

This says we can't spray over it, not that we can't touch it. Enforcement of "no water allowed to touch hard surfaces" is overzealous interpretation and enforcement by the inspector. I've clarified this with TCEQ on more than one occasion and the intent of that paragraph is to prevent the systems where rotors are intentionally spraying over sidewalks, etc., not to stop any edge overspray.

Tell that to TXI ... he's the one who said not a single drop of water can get on hardscapes or buildings in order to pass inspection.

bcg
08-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Again .... don't care. I have audit numbers sitting in front of me on a MPR system and a PGP system, and guess what ..... it is taking twice as long to put down the same amount of water for the PGP system than the MPR system. So you can say what you want, and make all the claims you want, but the numbers don't lie.

That's for that system the way it's nozzled. That doesn't mean that will always be the case, I promise you I can build a PGP zone that will put down water at 2x the rate of the MPR also.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that when the manu's say that they use 1/3 less water, they mean compared to sprays, not rotors. MPRs are usually used in place of sprays and they are more efficient than sprays but also do require longer run times than sprays (about 2 - 3 times as long). Any place a traditional rotor can be used, it really should be.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
That's for that system the way it's nozzled. That doesn't mean that will always be the case, I promise you I can build a PGP zone that will put down water at 2x the rate of the MPR also.

No one said you couldn't with a honking big nozzle, but then you also wouldn't be attempting to water the same area with MPR's .... at least I hope you wouldn't.

The point is, if you are comparing a single stream rotor to a MPR in a layout/design where they can be interchanged, most (not all) nozzles for the single stream rotor will have a PR lower than the MPR. No one in their right mind is going to design a system with MPR's when long range rotors would be more appropriate and economical .... therefore comparing high output rotor nozzles to the MPR is a pointless exercise.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that when the manu's say that they use 1/3 less water, they mean compared to sprays, not rotors. MPRs are usually used in place of sprays and they are more efficient than sprays but also do require longer run times than sprays (about 2 - 3 times as long). Any place a traditional rotor can be used, it really should be.

Now that is true (see bold).

txirrigation
08-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Tell that to TXI ... he's the one who said not a single drop of water can get on hardscapes or buildings in order to pass inspection.

No I said you never know what inspector your going to get, I do install per the most strict inspectors standards. And this inspecter will fail you for one drop.

Honestly though, if you really believe some of this stuff you type you need to get back out in the field for some real world experience. 3-4 people have confirmed that you must run MPRs longer to get a good result, yet you still are standing on your soap box.

It is nothing personal, I read some of the stuff you write and learn from it. I agree that an MPR 3000 will get a better matched pattern than a rotor with a 2 nozzle in a CONTROLLED enviroment. For some reason when they get in the ground they do not seem to be cutting the mustard.

Mainly the claim that they do better in the wind than a rotor is what I can't believe. They may not be misting, but they dont push through the wind like a rotor.

txirrigation
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Yes I do use the LA nozzles. In fact I got a chance to use them both on different zones on a temp system. It was pretty cool because I got to see the spray patterns emerge on dry dirt.

From what I saw the LA nozzle way out preformed the standard. Also the pressure was un-real off a fire hydrent 130+ and the low angle did not mist near as bad.

I think I have a pic somewhere.

This zone we put one LA nozzle (front left in pic) and the rest were standard. You can see the huge difference in spray with the sun coming through.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 09:18 PM
No I said you never know what inspector your going to get, I do install per the most strict inspectors standards. And this inspecter will fail you for one drop.

Yea .... OK Bud.

Honestly though, if you really believe some of this stuff you type you need to get back out in the field for some real world experience. 3-4 people have confirmed that you must run MPRs longer to get a good result, yet you still are standing on your soap box.

Longer than what .... sprays? They would be right .... you do need to run them longer than sprays .... but that is not the case with most rotor nozzles that would be using in place of the MPR. However, I will return the insult and say if you believe some of the stuff you write, then like Pete, you have no business managing or designing irrigation.

It is nothing personal, I read some of the stuff you write and learn from it.

You started this crap right from the first response to my first post. My response to this is, don't dish it out unless you are prepared to get it in return.

I agree that an MPR 3000 will get a better matched pattern than a rotor with a 2 nozzle in a CONTROLLED enviroment. For some reason when they get in the ground they do not seem to be cutting the mustard.

And of course you have audit data to back this up?

Mainly the claim that they do better in the wind than a rotor is what I can't believe. They may not be misting, but they dont push through the wind like a rotor.

Again .... do you have field data to back this up?

You have made claims here about other people's qualifications and experience, then present feelings and hunches as if they are fact. Is this how a professional should act on a public forum .... or at all?

My comments here are backed by considerable experience with these products (despite your lame attempts to suggest otherwise) and by georeferenced catch can and soil moisture data ..... not hunches, feelings and supposition.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Maybe mpr's should stay on the west coast. Mine on the east coast need a much longer run time......And, as I sold the homeowner on the water savings.........
Long story short ....if you cant afford the water to run irrigation......you cant afford irrigation........He we are. Irrigation installers, and service people who see it year round and a different way. I have had my spell of mprs come through here, some on 2hp pump systems, (dumb for many reasons) on city systems, who are now runnning longer run times (1.5 hours), and sometimes the work great in that one spot thats hard to reach.....
AS the op asked.......I will not look at them as an answer after seeing there performance in this dry climate we're having. I say if you got the water to put down.....throw it on...

txirrigation
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
No winning here... is there a block feature on this site?

Kiril, from what I have read at one point or another you have insulted everyone on this site.

I base my findings on this:

When I install rotors, I do not get complaints.When I install MPR's, almost without fail I get complaints. (This is real world data, not an aluminum can) When a product starts effecting my bottom line it's toast.

Also a few of the people I install for, including 2 Landscape Arch's do not allow MPR's on site.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Maybe mpr's should stay on the west coast. Mine on the east coast need a much longer run time......And, as I sold the homeowner on the water savings.........

I'm sorry .... does water flow differently on the East coast? FYI RLP .... I live in an area that gets NO rain for the better part of 6-7 months, and MPR's perform exceptionally well. Once again, no nozzle is going to make design flaws magically disappear ... not even the MPR.

Long story short ....if you cant afford the water to run irrigation......you cant afford irrigation........He we are. Irrigation installers, and service people who see it year round and a different way. I have had my spell of mprs come through here, some on 2hp pump systems, (dumb for many reasons) on city systems, who are now runnning longer run times (1.5 hours), and sometimes the work great in that one spot thats hard to reach.....
AS the op asked.......I will not look at them as an answer after seeing there performance in this dry climate we're having. I say if you got the water to put down.....throw it on...

Now that is smart. Drought conditions ..... and throw on the water. WTF is wrong with people in this industry?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Yeah you can ignore people. Dana put Kiril on ignore. I've done it before but I figure if I keep him tied up we get rational discussions elsewhere. You being from Texas though makes you a target for his vitriol.

DanaMac
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
No winning here... is there a block feature on this site?

There is a nice IGNORE button. It works really well too. Haven't seen it fail yet. :)

Kiril
08-07-2011, 09:46 PM
No winning here

And there won't be until you start acting like a professional.

When I install rotors, I do not get complaints.When I install MPR's, almost without fail I get complaints. (This is real world data, not an aluminum can) When a product starts effecting my bottom line it's toast.

Then you know what TXI .... you aren't using the product correctly and/or designing correctly. Since apparently you are incapable of using this product correctly, or manage systems that use this product, then you are right, you should not use them.

Also a few of the people I install for, including 2 Landscape Arch's do not allow MPR's on site.

Good for them. You started a thread looking for peoples thoughts on the MPR vs. the rotor ..... I gave mine .... and got attacked by you for the trouble. So by all means .... spare us all and put me on ignore.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah you can ignore people. Dana put Kiril on ignore. I've done it before but I figure if I keep him tied up we get rational discussions elsewhere. You being from Texas though makes you a target for his vitriol.

Dana likes to dish it out, but can't handle it when he gets it in return.

Pete, the only rational discussion with you, and with most people from TX, is the one where you do all the talking and no one questions anything you say. Apparently if you are from TX ... your word is gospel. :rolleyes:

HokieAg07
I'm sorry .... does water flow differently on the East coast? FYI RLP .... I live in an area that gets NO rain for the better part of 6-7 months, and MPR's perform exceptionally well. Once again, no nozzle is going to make design flaws magically disappear ... not even the MPR.

Now that is smart. Drought conditions ..... and throw on the water. WTF is wrong with people in this industry?

We live in the real world not la-la land like you. I could say a whole lot more but in the end that is all that it really comes down to.

FIMCO-MEISTER
Spare us all? Whose this all Tonto?

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 09:54 PM

read that fact that I pull water from a lake..........so I perfer to put out as much as terrain allows. 2 hp pump 2" mainline. 10 heads a zone 20 gpm at 60 psi....sorry for the confusion.....I hope this does not affect you, as the reservoir I pull water from is the power plant that sells Ca electric every weekend so u can keep cool........

Kiril
08-07-2011, 10:06 PM
We live in the real world not la-la land like you. I could say a whole lot more but in the end that is all that it really comes down to.

In the real world water conservation is a big concern, and if managing sites to conserve water resources is la la land, then I live right in the middle of it. But heh .... if people here don't give a damn about proper irrigation design and management, and would rather act like a bunch of f'n amateurs then so be it.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 10:11 PM
read that fact that I pull water from a lake..........so I perfer to put out as much as terrain allows. 2 hp pump 2" mainline. 10 heads a zone 20 gpm at 60 psi....sorry for the confusion.....I hope this does not affect you, as the reservoir I pull water from is the power plant that sells Ca electric every weekend so u can keep cool........

And you are right ... MPR's shouldn't be used in potentially dirty water scenario's without filtration. That said ... how does that impact their performance using them with clean water or proper filtration? Once again we come down to knowing how to use products correctly. Are you going to push lake water through a drip line without filtration .... no ... so why would you attempt to do so with the MPR or any other small orifice nozzle?

Mike Leary
08-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Gee, I just stumbled on this site, are you guys irri pros? If you are, then you should know to use the MP or like for plantings and let sprays and/or medium-throw rotors do it for turf.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 10:20 PM

The bottom line is we need green grass, turf, whatever you wanna call it. There's people on this forum that think what's good here, is great there! I have been there, and now, am trying this. I know what works in my climate and if that means a single stream putting out water and overspraying into the street.........oh well... I have no complaints of spraying Smith Mountain Lake water on the streets, docks, walkways, hardscapes......cause there grass is green........if you must conserve...than do it. But dont tell another irrigator how charts work when you dont know the area. When a job plan is given to me....I bid after I see and visit job...Paper and irrigation are two different birds..........I am planning on going out for a three day swordfishing trip and would love kiril to pm me to come.......go Hokies!

Kiril
08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
The bottom line is we need green grass, turf, whatever you wanna call it.

Yea ... so just water the f'n shiit out of it .... because water is cheap and plentiful and no irrigator really gives a damn about managing soils or plants properly ... let alone irrigation! :rolleyes:

There's people on this forum that think what's good here, is great there! I have been there, and now, am trying this. I know what works in my climate and if that means a single stream putting out water and overspraying into the street.........oh well... I have no complaints of spraying Smith Mountain Lake water on the streets, docks, walkways, hardscapes......cause there grass is green........if you must conserve...than do it. But dont tell another irrigator how charts work when you dont know the area. When a job plan is given to me....I bid after I see and visit job...Paper and irrigation are two different birds..........I am planning on going out for a three day swordfishing trip and would love kiril to pm me to come.......go Hokies!

Funny .... I have lived in NC ... but I guess I don't know the area, and for some reason water that comes out of a nozzle in NC is different than water that comes out of a nozzle in CA. :hammerhead:

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Gee, I just stumbled on this site, are you guys irri pros? If you are, then you should know to use the MP or like for plantings and let sprays and/or medium-throw rotors do it for turf.

Most succinct post on this forum all week. I'm going to put that in my irrigation rules to live by memory bank Mike.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Yea ... so just water the f'n shiit out of it .... because water is cheap and no irrigator cares about managing soils or plants properly. :rolleyes:

Funny .... I have lived in NC ... but I guess I don't know the area, and for some reason water that comes out of a nozzle in NC is different than water that comes out of a nozzle in CA. :hammerhead:

Wow.... You are just an arrogant piece of toro........

Kiril
08-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Wow.... You are just an arrogant piece of toro........

Funny how people like to call me arrogant, yet their behavior is equally if not more arrogant than mine. Yup ... crucify me for expecting higher standards in this industry and for defending myself against the relentless attacks against my character, professionalism, and knowledge.

Bravo RLP .... :clapping:

Kiril
08-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Have to disagree here Dad, and for the reasons TXI already stated ... blocked streams pretty much destroys the distribution uniformity of the nozzle.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I, for one work with RICH people, who want one thing.
1 Trophy Wife
2 Fast car
3 Hatteras 68' sportfish with Capt
4 house on the island
5 sweet ass irrigation........
6 green stuff left and right
7 mint juleps sat afternoon
8 bloddy mary's sun at 9 am
9 all fules and oils topped off
10 oh, they may want "kiril "there to audit vodka usage......

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 10:44 PM
I think a little common sense and respect for Mike's skills would allow one to recognize he didn't mean to put them at the base of the bushes or flowers.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Funny how people like to call me arrogant, yet their behavior is equally if not more arrogant than mine. Yup ... crucify me for expecting higher standards in this industry and for defending myself against the relentless attacks against my character, professionalism, and knowledge.

Bravo RLP .... :clapping:

OK ....as long as your used to it..
Finally watched all of that movie Step Brothers......
They had such an akward realtionship......
I gotta say I love those two together......Boats n Hoes

Kiril
08-07-2011, 10:50 PM
I think a little common sense and respect for Mike's skills would allow one to recognize he didn't mean to put them at the base of the bushes or flowers.

Yes ... continue on with your campaign Pete .... you know, because I am not allowed to have an opinion or disagree with someone ..... oh no.

What do you normally have in planting beds .... trees, bushes, perennials, and annuals .... all of which have the potential to impact any type of above ground irrigation uniformity. Now the one place where MPR's could successfully be used for plantings is areas that have only low growing ground covers.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Yes ... continue on with your campaign Pete .... you know, because I am not allowed to have an opinion or disagree with someone ..... oh no.

What do you normally have in planting beds .... trees, bushes, perennials, and annuals .... all of which have the potential to impact any type of above ground irrigation uniformity. Now the one place where MPR's could successfully be used for plantings is areas that have only low growing ground covers.
YES KIRIL.......I do like mpr's in planting areas.. mainly due to the fact thta "drip" is not enough these days..Hot and dry needs 45min mpr or 3 hours of drip...........climates are different from zone to zone.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 10:57 PM
You can disagree anytime, anyplace, any post but everybody on this forum knows that Mike can do irrigation. If he encountered a situation as you describe I don't believe Mike would use MPs anyway. Your knack for assuming the worse possible scenario and projecting that on to everybody doesn't bode you well.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Ok>>>>>>> who is this mike????
Leary?????

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Yes Leary. Man of the 1500/zone. We are kindred spirits due to our deep affection for brass nozzles.

Kiril
08-07-2011, 11:05 PM
YES KIRIL.......I do like mpr's in planting areas.. mainly due to the fact thta "drip" is not enough these days..Hot and dry needs 45min mpr or 3 hours of drip...........climates are different from zone to zone.

Ummm .... again .... knowing how to use and manage the products. :dizzy:

Kiril
08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
You can disagree anytime, anyplace, any post but everybody on this forum knows that Mike can do irrigation. If he encountered a situation as you describe I don't believe Mike would use MPs anyway. Your knack for assuming the worse possible scenario and projecting that on to everybody doesn't bode you well.

WTF are you talking about Pete? The worst case scenario is a planting bed with trees, shrubs, perennials, or annuals in it? WTF planet do you live on? You are a real piece of work Pete. Unbelievable :hammerhead:

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Ummm .... again .... knowing how to use and manage the products. :dizzy:

Didnt need the funny face to show how your wife orgasms.....

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
1fuDDqU6n4o

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
ohhhh NO it was your boy friend......sorry....

Kiril
08-07-2011, 11:21 PM
ohhhh NO it was your boy friend......sorry....

Sarcasm and cheap shots to hide your amateurish irrigation knowledge. :clapping:

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Sarcasm and cheap shots to hide your amateurish irrigation knowledge. :clapping:

No mam. At 1.2 million so far.....Hey... come fishing with me. I will fly you here. Lodging and food cost I'll absorb. I just want to meet the irrigation ass in person. Hey I got planes......

Kiril
08-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Yup, act like an ass while you call others an ass. Took a page right out of Pete's book. :clapping:

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Oh no....Kiril...I want to meet you... in person....I think you have some good points that are validated......You like to offshore fish.....?

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:39 PM
OK Cabo is not to far from you......Wanna meet there

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Melia San LucaS.....AS it turns out I have a time share there. Lets meet the second week os September 12th thru 18th....

Kiril
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Sure you do rlp ..... as you stab me to death in my sleep.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:42 PM
PM me to plan..........we will have fun.......fishin.....drinkin......and eatin........
not talk about waterin..................

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Sure you do rlp ..... as you stab me to death in my sleep.

too much love there to gut you......

Mike Leary
08-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Yes Leary. Man of the 1500/zone. We are kindred spirits due to our deep affection for brass nozzles.

Here's one for you, Peter:

Kiril
08-07-2011, 11:54 PM
too much love there to gut you......

Wouldn't want to disappoint you .... you might find out that I am actually a pretty damn nice person ... even though I am hard on some people on this forum.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Wouldn't want to disappoint you .... you might find out that I am actually a pretty damn nice person ... even though I am hard on some people on this forum.

Some people? Hell all one has to do is search all of you recent posts to see that you get into it with somebody in every thread you post on.... doesn't matter what the topic is either! You're the freakin' expert on everything that is landscape related! Hell.... I'm not even sure why you're slumming it as a landscaper! To hear you talk you should be wearing a lab coat with the name Hunter or Simplot or Toro stenciled on it! It's not that you're not a nice person man I'm sure you are! It's that every post you make is just dripping with a certain smug condescending arrogance that just jumps off of the screen at whoever is reading it! You act like you're the only person in the world who is capable of installing or maintaining an irrigation system! Get over yourself dude!

Mike Leary
08-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Some people? Hell all one has to do is search all of you recent posts to see that you get into it with somebody in every thread you post on.... doesn't matter what the topic is either! You're the freakin' expert on everything that is landscape related! Hell.... I'm not even sure why you're slumming it as a landscaper! To hear you talk you should be wearing a lab coat with the name Hunter or Simplot or Toro stenciled on it! It's not that you're not a nice person man I'm sure you are! It's that every post you make is just dripping with a certain smug condescending arrogance that just jumps off of the screen at whoever is reading it! You act like you're the only person in the world who is capable of installing or maintaining an irrigation system! Get over yourself dude!

Get used to the weirdos on this site or find some other place to vent. We all have a axe to grind, and poke holes as needed, but I'd trust the hard core on this forum to talk the truth (their truth), so take it for what it is; one person's opinion.

Kiril
08-08-2011, 12:10 AM

Blah, blah, blah. The people I have a problem with are the people who think their shiit can't stink .... and even when shown to be in error they refuse to admit it. And you are absolutely right .... I have little tolerance for certain people and their bullshiit information and "facts" on this forum.

That said, you will hard pressed to find anything I have posted (other than opinion) on this, or any other forum on this site, that I can't back up with credible publications. I don't present opinion as fact, and unlike some people here, I actually care about presenting accurate and actionable information. If you or anyone else has a problem with that then tough shiit.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
08-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Blah, blah, blah. The people I have a problem with are the people who think their shiit can't stink .... and even when shown to be in error they refuse to admit it. You will hard pressed to find anything I have posted (other than opinion) on this, or any other forum on this site, that I can't back up with credible publications. I don't present opinion as fact, and unlike some people here, I actually care about presenting accurate and actionable information. If you or anyone else has a problem with that then tough shiit.

Hey... I've never had a problem with the information you post. I know you've done your research. I know you know your ****. How long have you and I gone round and round over things? 3 or 4 years now? It's just the way you carry yourself here. You come off as an A$$hole every time you post! Until you have installed irrigation in every state represented here on this board your experience and opinions are limited to the work that you have done in northern / central CA. Everything is different by region. You're a smart guy.... you should realize this! Not everybody is going to do things the same way as you and not everybody who doesn't do things the same way as you is an idiot hack like you so desperately try to make them out to be.

Mike Leary
08-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Hey... I've never had a problem with the information you post. I know you've done your research. I know you know your ****. How long have you and I gone round and round over things? 3 or 4 years now? It's just the way you carry yourself here. You come off as an A$$hole every time you post! Until you have installed irrigation in every state represented here on this board your experience and opinions are limited to the work that you have done in northern / central CA. Everything is different by region. You're a smart guy.... you should realize this! Not everybody is going to do things the same way as you and not everybody who doesn't do things the same way as you is an idiot hack like you so desperately try to make them out to be.

Give it up, Jack, it matters only for the health of the plants: not you, not me, not Kiril.

Kiril
08-08-2011, 12:33 AM

Look Dude ... if you or anyone else cops an attitude with me expect to get the same in return. Treat me with respect, and I will do the same.

Yes you are right, there are differences in irrigation management around the country, due to different climate, soils, water quality, plants, etc..... but there are considerably more similarities, particular when you are talking about design and installation. Hydraulics and the laws of physics don't change from region to region or state to state .... do they? You are a smart guy, certainly you must realize this.

CA contains nearly every climate zone available, with a pretty wide variety of soils as well. If there is any single state that has the best chance of being able to represent the widest range of potential irrigation scenarios it is this state. So in the end what do we have ..... not so different after all.

And Mike is right .... in the end it comes down to an issue of managing soil and plant health .... nothing more. Hopefully in doing so, one is taking the necessary steps to use our natural resources responsibly.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Ill contact Texas A&M and tell them to send the entire school of irrigation to you for a holy benediction.

Respect is a two way street. Anonymous posters with an attitude problem aren't going to get respected period.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sprinkus
08-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I can see by your coat, my friend,
you're from the other side,
There's just one thing I got to know,
Can you tell me please, who won? :confused:

Kiril
08-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Can you tell me please, who won? :confused:

No one wins .... and you are one of the few people from TX on this board that I don't have a problem with.

txirrigation
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
He is from cali... he is jealous of:

Our jobs
Our freedom
Our guns
And we don't have Pelosi

Other than that he will be your buddy if you agree with him all the time, and don't mention that his State is BROKE.

Where I am the wind blows between 10-30 mph all the time, and this year has been worse than that. Also we havn't dipped under 103 in a week and a half.

Also no rain for 6 MONTHS???? OMG that sounds like a good year to me. Honestly I can't remember the last time it rained, we had some scattered showers with the last storm in the gulf but it missed me.

WalkGood
08-08-2011, 10:40 AM
To no one in particular:

Don't know how any plants ever survived with just rain drops, or when people used watering cans, garden hoses or these:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/38435/6h/www.improvementscatalog.com/images/en_US/local/products/248x/sprinkler-372645.jpg

Kiril
08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Other than that he will be your buddy if you agree with him all the time, and don't mention that his State is BROKE.

You are welcome to disagree with me, just get your facts straight before you do.

Where I am the wind blows between 10-30 mph all the time, and this year has been worse than that. Also we havn't dipped under 103 in a week and a half.

Pretty damn windy here too.

Also no rain for 6 MONTHS???? OMG that sounds like a good year to me. Honestly I can't remember the last time it rained, we had some scattered showers with the last storm in the gulf but it missed me.

And here I thought the majority of TX was classified as a semi-arid climate, not a Mediterranean climate. Silly me .... why should we let facts stand in our way.

txirrigation
08-08-2011, 10:46 AM
So, as far as I can gather, it seems as though MP's have thier place in odd shaped areas.

In Medium throw distances it is better to use the rotor than the MP on turf.

Dirty water situations it is better to use a rotor

Low pressure (in my experince) is a good place to use the MP.

txirrigation
08-08-2011, 10:49 AM
You are welcome to disagree with me, just get your facts straight before you do.

Pretty damn windy here too.

And here I thought the majority of TX was classified as a semi-arid climate, not a Mediterranean climate. Silly me .... why should we let facts stand in our way.

East Texas is way different than West. Central is different than North. And North TX is completely different than South. Classifying the whole state of TX as one climate is a mistake. The only thing you can say about the whole State is that our bank roll is bigger than Cali's

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-08-2011, 10:50 AM
or this. remember when kids went outside and played?
Yl4hUHGXfIs

Kiril
08-08-2011, 10:51 AM
So, as far as I can gather, it seems as though MP's have thier place in odd shaped areas.

Agreed

In Medium throw distances it is better to use the rotor than the MP on turf.

> 25 feet .... agreed

Dirty water situations it is better to use a rotor

Agreed, assuming a standard rotor is appropriate

Low pressure (in my experince) is a good place to use the MP.

Absolutely agreed.

Kiril
08-08-2011, 10:52 AM
East Texas is way different than West. Central is different than North. And North TX is completely different than South. Classifying the whole state of TX as one climate is a mistake. The only thing you can say about the whole State is that our bank roll is bigger than Cali's

I didn't say the whole state ... did I? Maybe you should check a climate map sometime TXI.

txirrigation
08-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Agreed! Here we are in this little moment when we agree with each other!

Dont read my post about Cali's bank roll, our little moment will be short lived.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Praise the Lord. Now lets move on to the Israeli/Arab conflict.

Kiril
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Agreed! Here we are in this little moment when we agree with each other!

Dont read my post about Cali's bank roll, our little moment will be short lived.

I could care less what the financial status of this state is ... however don't let that stop you and Pete from pulling the typical Texan "we are better then everyone else" attitude.

Oh ... and here is your climate map.

http://atmo.tamu.edu/osc/ClimMap.gif

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Oh my Gawd. What an amazing map! I have so much respect for you now.

Wet_Boots
08-08-2011, 11:54 AM
lets get back to the water wiggle commercial - notice the 'lawn hydrant' the hose was connected to?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-08-2011, 12:21 PM
looks like a galvanized pipe with one of those angled boiler drain screwed on right at the curb? Did i miss something?

AI Inc
08-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I dont know about low pressure and MP,s . From my limited experiance with them , they dont need a lot of water , but sure do like pressure.

Wet_Boots
08-08-2011, 12:27 PM
not a boiler drain, but a genuine "lawn hydrant" - very large water passage in those. When's the last time you saw one of those as new work?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-08-2011, 12:38 PM
not a boiler drain, but a genuine "lawn hydrant" - very large water passage in those. When's the last time you saw one of those as new work?

Been awhile but I have seen some of those in some older sections of Dallas. Usually with the oval handle.

A-1 I concur but I think TXI is referring to redoing systems in which the pressure is low because of too large a spray zone. He may correct me but that was my reading. Maybe he is talking install after rereading.

Wet_Boots
08-08-2011, 05:47 PM
You see them, or at least a form of them, in old Tom and Jerry cartoons, and the cat has run squarely into a few of them.

Qvt1PsXItTI

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-08-2011, 06:47 PM
6 minutes and 49 seconds. I don't know boots. can you just give me the time of the spots you want me to speed to? You know like 3:53 Tom stubs toe on water hydrant.

Wet_Boots
08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
I couldn't find the one I remember, so I just tossed in one I'm fond of. Compared to the Warner Bros toons I grew up with, these are like a primal scream.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
So this cartoon doesn't even have an example of what you were referring to?
I did a search. Is it this one? (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/badgers/)

Wet_Boots
08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Oh, I found one good view of a lawn hydrant, but no one was running into it. The collision I recall almost hurt to look at - obviously all steel plumbing.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9827/lawnhydranttomandjerry.jpg

Kiril
08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
I dont know about low pressure and MP,s . From my limited experiance with them , they dont need a lot of water , but sure do like pressure.

I replaced some sprinklers not to long ago, some junk spray sprinklers that wouldn't even pop due to extremely low system pressure (~21-23 PSI nozzle pressure). Replaced the sprinklers and nozzled with MPRotators, picked up a few PSI (nozzle pressure at ~25 PSI), but now the "system" works.

Mike Leary
08-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I replaced some sprinklers not to long ago, some junk spray sprinklers that wouldn't even pop due to extremely low system pressure (~21-23 PSI nozzle pressure). Replaced the sprinklers and nozzled with MPRotators, picked up a few PSI (nozzle pressure at ~25 PSI), but now the "system" works.

Pics?.......We have not seen too many from you.

greenmonster304
08-09-2011, 09:33 PM

I use them all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
08-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I never see them sold at distributors - I can get a respectable import version of the oval-handled valves made by Champion.

greenmonster304
08-09-2011, 09:48 PM
The supply house I go to even has a 1" inlet model
Posted via Mobile Device

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
08-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Ewing stocks them.... I buy them all the time! they come in both 3/4" and 1". Champion/Arrowhead sells one now with an AVB built right in......

http://www.arrowheadbrass.com/op_champarrow/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_group/0/272/0/0/0/0/0

Bubbatex0
08-10-2011, 09:38 AM
I am a homeowner in Texas and designed my system (With help from this forum) with MPR's and it is working great. Have many curves around my pond and curved patio and can put down water with minimal overspray. I have black clay and do have to run the zones longer than I would have with sprays but it has more time to soak in the clay and not run off. Thumbs Up

Also I am having to switch to 6" bodies to clear the grass (St Augustine) as it it growing much thicker and I mow it at 3.5" in this friggin drought and heat. :cry:

ArTurf
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I am a homeowner in Texas and designed my system (With help from this forum) with MPR's and it is working great. Have many curves around my pond and curved patio and can put down water with minimal overspray. I have black clay and do have to run the zones longer than I would have with sprays but it has more time to soak in the clay and not run off. Thumbs Up

Also I am having to switch to 6" bodies to clear the grass (St Augustine) as it it growing much thicker and I mow it at 3.5" in this friggin drought and heat. :cry:

6" Heads are standard with my new installs. You really don't want to mow healthy St Aug lower than you are as you probably know. Glad you had success.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Aren't there new cultivars that can be cut lower?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Cut more frequently would be a better option. I cut my own St Aug every 4-5 days during the growing season.

Bubbatex0
08-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I have been swapping them out a few at a time for a year or so. With this drought I am not mowing on my regular schedule and leaving it longer to shade the roots a little. Seems to be working so far as I am one of few in the neighborhood that doesnt have a dirt yard right now. :cool2:

Kiril
08-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Pics?.......We have not seen too many from you.

Funny Dad. :laugh:

txirrigation
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I have been swapping them out a few at a time for a year or so. With this drought I am not mowing on my regular schedule and leaving it longer to shade the roots a little. Seems to be working so far as I am one of few in the neighborhood that doesnt have a dirt yard right now. :cool2:

Where are you in RR?

Mike Leary
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
6" Heads are standard with my new installs.

As they should be. :clapping:

Kiril
08-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Ewing stocks them.... I buy them all the time! they come in both 3/4" and 1". Champion/Arrowhead sells one now with an AVB built right in......

http://www.arrowheadbrass.com/op_champarrow/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_group/0/272/0/0/0/0/0

Ditto .... and a pic for dad.

Mike Leary
08-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Ditto .... and a pic for dad.

Finally! You learned your trade well, my son. :clapping:

Kiril
08-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Finally! You learned your trade well, my son. :clapping:

Yea ... and that is Type K copper on a brass swing joint.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2011, 12:13 PM
You mean that isn't threaded brass pipe? :p

Kiril
08-10-2011, 01:40 PM
You mean that isn't threaded brass pipe? :p

Not that one .... depends on the location and job. This one is a threaded brass pipe.

txirrigation
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Is that attached to the sprinkler main?

We have to put a sign on it warning that it is not potable water in english and spanish.

Then there is also the master valve regs that makes those things pointless.

Nice job though, been a while since I have seen an irrigator actually use sch. 80 when going to brass like they should.

Kiril
08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Is that attached to the sprinkler main?

Yes

Nice job though, been a while since I have seen an irrigator actually use sch. 80 when going to brass like they should.

Thanks. All my manifolds and constant pressure mains are almost always SCH80 on residential lots. Any metal to plastic transition is always SCH80, and a male fitting unless there is no other way.

txirrigation
08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes

Thanks. All my manifolds and constant pressure mains are almost always SCH80 on residential lots. Any metal to plastic transition is always SCH80, and a male fitting unless there is no other way.

Do you have to post a sign?

AI Inc
08-10-2011, 03:20 PM

" will plumb spigots for food"

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-10-2011, 03:31 PM
That first spigot could use a little leveling. Not surprised to see barren grassless ground.

Damn why did I post this....

Kiril
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Probably should, but I don't think so given it is not technically "gray" water, but then that is open to interpretation. Codes have changed since that went in.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
08-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Probably should, but I don't think so given it is not technically "gray" water, but then that is open to interpretation. Codes have changed since that went in.

We're not required to post anything unless the site is fed off of a reclaimed water feed.

Kiril
08-10-2011, 03:40 PM
That first spigot could use a little leveling. Not surprised to see barren grassless ground.

Damn why did I post this....

It is level Pete, unless my torpedo level was lying to me. The picture is cockeyed, look at the wall .... and you probably shouldn't have posted it.

txirrigation
08-10-2011, 10:32 PM

My customers hate the sign, I just tell them to leave it untill the inspection is over.

We also have to install MV in most cities so I don't install these much anymore.

Mike Leary
08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Then there is also the master valve regs that makes those things pointless.

Uh, uh, why not use a normally open master valve or assign the faucet to a dedicated zone?

txirrigation
08-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Uh, uh, why not use a normally open master valve or assign the faucet to a dedicated zone?

Either way it is dicey. Open master could lead to a 24hr main leak, and a dedicated zone would mean they would have to do a manual run on the zone when they wanted to use the faucet.

Mike Leary
08-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Either way it is dicey. Open master could lead to a 24hr main leak, and a dedicated zone would mean they would have to do a manual run on the zone when they wanted to use the faucet.

Excuse me, a flow sensor will (with the right clock) shut down the main should there be a break, normally open or normally closed. We've also installed spigots with a zone valve and programmed them for the client's time of use.