PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Winterization

andyslawncare
08-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I know its way early for this thread, but I'm always trying to open new niches in the marketplace.

I've been installing and repairing systems for 3 years now. I have had several people ask me about winterization, and I think I can add it as easy irrigation work to my contracted maintenance accounts, and as a selling feature on new installs. If I'm in charge of the start up and shut down, I can be sure that everything is functioning and I could set all timers correctly to abide by water regulations and to water for the correct amount of time.

I was wondering what your technique is for others in zone 7. What all do you include in the service?

Thank you

Wet_Boots
08-06-2011, 07:45 PM
we simoniz the shrubbery

andyslawncare
08-06-2011, 08:14 PM
we simoniz the shrubbery

what do you mean by this? Sorry if I'm still a slight bit uninformed by some words.

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Andy,
I'm in 7a and all we do is shut off the main and turn the clock off. No need to blowout or any of that crap because no frost line here. I charge a flat rate of $75-100 to start up and shut down. Basically, we go through each zone to ensure heads run properly and fix any issues. Cake..
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
08-06-2011, 08:33 PM
what do you mean by this? Sorry if I'm still a slight bit uninformed by some words.jrt7uAQPXL4

rlpsystems
08-06-2011, 09:03 PM
play some doug clark and the hot nuts......baby let me bang your box......

Wet_Boots
08-06-2011, 09:11 PM
play some doug clark and the hot nuts......baby let me bang your box......SCKj0sssuGk

andyslawncare
08-06-2011, 09:12 PM
jrt7uAQPXL4
As soon as I saw the record in the caption I've been laughing... I didn't know what to expect.

Chocolate covered moth balls are good and babies should start smoking when they are 3? They can't make songs like that anymore... You are obviously very experienced, and I would appreciate more information that is subject relevant if you are willing to share your technique. Thank you for my giggles though, I needed that.

rlpsystems
08-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Michael reno harrell southern suggestions......

Wet_Boots
08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I think most worries in that climate would relate to backflow preventers. Water remaining in above-ground plumbing will freeze just as hard as it will a thousand miles further north.

andyslawncare
08-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Andy,
I'm in 7a and all we do is shut off the main and turn the clock off. No need to blowout or any of that crap because no frost line here. I charge a flat rate of $75-100 to start up and shut down. Basically, we go through each zone to ensure heads run properly and fix any issues. Cake..
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you for a serious response. I appreciate it when this forum is used for what it was created for.

When I'm on here working, I don't have much extra time for play--I'm trying to make more profits from my current clients now.

I appreciate any relevant input and the occasional laugh.

Do you insulate the back-flow or shut-off when you turn off or just turn it off? In the spring do you run all zones and check arcs and functionality?

Thanks

andyslawncare
08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I think most worries in that climate would relate to backflow preventers. Water remaining in above-ground plumbing will freeze just as hard as it will a thousand miles further north.

Are you suggesting to insulate the backflow? Thanks for talking business with me.

Wet_Boots
08-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Are you suggesting to insulate the backflow? Thanks for talking business with me.For starters, you follow the manufacturer instructions on winterizing backflow preventers.

andyslawncare
08-06-2011, 10:21 PM
For starters, you follow the manufacturer instructions on winterizing backflow preventers.

Let's say... the backflow doesn't exist or the unit is aged and manufacture can not be distinguished. What if I'm using a pump without a back flow....? That's not what I asked. TECHNIQUES/SERVICES/ETC.

Wet Boots, I feel it pretty darn rude to first off make me ask you to be serious about the subject matter, and again by having to question your vague comments.

My question was fairly simple... "What is your technique to winterize an irrigation system"?

...manufacture instructions were not in question, and most of my maintenance accounts did not have it installed by my business. I asked for more information from your vague answer to help answer my original question. WHAT IS YOUR TECHNIQUE? Please only comment if you are willing to state your technique and your area. Any other information is far away from my question. I'm looking for techniques and inclusive serves items only. I live In zone 7--work in the transition between A and B. I'm trying to just compare everyone technique and what is included. I don't care for a price because I'm well aware of my own prices; services are in question.

Wet_Boots
08-06-2011, 10:28 PM
There is absolutely nothing vague about "follow manufacturer instructions" ~ if you got an RPZ in a system you care for, you take on some or all of the responsibility for its surviving the winter undamaged. Anyone with tens of thousands of dollars worth of backflow preventers in their care does well to winterize them according to mfr instructions.

If that is more than you can handle, then someone else should do the work, and take the responsibility, and the service income.

andyslawncare
08-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I am completely able to handle, take responsibility, and all of the income... but this still isn't what I asked. I've done research, gotten a college degree in horticulture, invested $100,000, and have several systems fixed and installed that provide good coverage and water usage... I'm not an amateur Wet Boots I know what I'm doing and I know where I'll be in the next 10 years. I'm looking to compare several informative posts about what a business owner provides a client during the winter to help the system last longer. This way I can be more competitive and informative in the marketplace. I'm trying to learn more every day and you put it down instead of answer questions. I'm done with you Wet Boots. Never comment on my posts again unless you actually look at the initial question. You could have just stated your technique in 200 words or less, but you decided to make multiple posts so that you can get out our your 30,000+ post numbers. Its kind of sad; either answer questions, or leave the forum.

You're winters are a lot colder than ours too, and soil softer during spring and summer--you probably only pull pipe. How about this Wet Boots, just don't post any more posts that don't answer my question and keep to your zone when questions also state their zones. Things are different state to state and I'll never work in your area.

How damn hard is it to state your technique and what you do?

This industry is screwed if people don't share information.

You have a young EDUCATED dude asking a question, and you say everything except for your answer to the question. Market research is a nation wide task (your input could be beneficial to more than just me, this post may be read 4 or more years from now, and people are going to see how unwilling you are to provide good information--that is if your still alive or working in the business based on the old school soundtracks you posted first), and you tell me even more of how NYC folks are nothing complete D*cks and A holes. Thanks for wasting my time on my keyboard Wet Boots. You know, your not the only one with wet boots...don't act like the king, because there is no king here.

greenmonster304
08-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Andy, wet boots may be a bit vague but the response about the manufacturers recomedation is a valid one. Insulating a backflow won't do anything if you don't have a heat source like heat tape. You would be better off draining it.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
08-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Andy, wet boots may be a bit vague but the response about the manufacturers recomedation is a valid one. Insulating a backflow won't do anything if you don't have a heat source like heat tape. You would be better off draining it.
Posted via Mobile Device

best method to drain a system?

AI Inc
08-07-2011, 06:26 AM
How much ya looking to sell the aerator for?

Wet_Boots
08-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Why the hell should anyone here do someone else's legwork? If you know the make and models of the above-ground backflow preventers being dealt with, the mfr instructions can be found online. Read through them and find what's being done for winterization.

(I swear, these children)

Stuttering Stan
08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Are you suggesting to insulate the backflow? Thanks for talking business with me.

Rather than insulating the BF, why don't you open it up and pour some blinker fluid into it? It's cheaper than antifreeze and works just as good.

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 08:34 AM
I hook up downstream of backflow when I winterize. If i have to, I use the last testcock to connect to, and I do not use all the cfm available. I have messed up at least three back flows by "lettin her rip" through there. My backflows ALL have unions so I remove and store in my shop......Those booklets that come with the stuff you buy is good for throwing in the trash......again.....field experiance....

Wet_Boots
08-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Field experience is fine when you can afford to waste a few RPZs, but I have yet to ever hear how a backflow preventer died over the winter after having been voided of water according to mfr instructions (and valves and drains set to prevent the entry of water into the winterized plumbing)

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Field experience is fine when you can afford to waste a few RPZs, but I have yet to ever hear how a backflow preventer died over the winter after having been voided of water according to mfr instructions (and valves and drains set to prevent the entry of water into the winterized plumbing)
Roger that....

Mdirrigation
08-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Thank you for a serious response. I appreciate it when this forum is used for what it was created for.

When I'm on here working, I don't have much extra time for play--I'm trying to make more profits from my current clients now.

I appreciate any relevant input and the occasional laugh.

Do you insulate the back-flow or shut-off when you turn off or just turn it off? In the spring do you run all zones and check arcs and functionality?

Thanks

I can see you wanting to make more , but those clients of yours are actually clients of an irrigation contractor , who may also want to make more from his clients by offering lawn maintenance services. I have seen many lawn maintenance companies actually lose customers because they tried and failed to repair or maintain the sprinkler system .

Nothing beats experience , and experience comes with a price , irrigation systems dont all winterize the same , the principle is similar but systems differ

SPEEDSKI
08-07-2011, 06:42 PM
MDIrrigation, we must be long lost brothers, since that is what I was going to say. I would like to add to
this, so here it goes.

It will be coming as fall gets closer. We will email our Winterization Notice to all of our customer base in october. We will then get a few replies saying my lawn guy is now doing them for $35.00 (yes, you heard it right and it happened even more last year). We got tired of explaining what they are about to do, so we now just tell them "no problem" and we note each customer for Spring Start Ups. We had a guy driving neighborhoods with a 5 gallon compressor in the back of his truck and he was having trouble plugging into the homes outlets because they were tripping. LOL

Anyway, even if you charge a normal rate, you better be ready for when you get the call saying, "you did not winterize my system properly" or a shut off that leaks / does not close all the way and the phone call at 10 pm on Thanksgiving. It happens to every irrigation contractor on the planet, so it will happen to you. I know, I know....but it is so easy, just blow air through the lines right? But when you have to fork out $400.00 for one backflow to keep that customer happy and keep the lawn account you will understand.

If you are doing all of their services; start up, backflow test, and blow out. Then I do understand, but if you are just wanting to make some extra money at the end of the year, then it is BS.

Try and work with a local "Irrigation Contractor" and network each others clients.

There are very few Lawn Companies around here (even the large companies) that do quality irrigation. Besides one or two, all of them end up call us real irrigation contractors when they need 2-wire system work, ground faults, locates or anything that does not involve fixing a head or nozzle. This is why we do charge them out the ass when it happens. They all try and take the blow out money from us (which is our end of the year stash), but when they need us we are suppose to now "work together" to help out a fellow green industry friend.

To those of you that do landscaping and irrigation and do it well, then you too understand where I am coming from.

I do not think people are trying to "not help you" but you have to understand that all of us did not have a forum when we got started, we all learned the hard way or did the proper research. I would be glad to explain the entire process we use to blow out, but you need to PM me and I would like to talk to you over the phone first.

Good Luck to you.

Mike Leary
08-07-2011, 07:17 PM
The only way to learn about winterizing is to melt fittings, launch heads and learn how to "throttle" a compressor. That's why so many dweebs use a little pancake compressor and take hours more to "winterize". Without the cfm, winterize is a crapshoot. :hammerhead:

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 09:20 PM
yes .....let a 180 cfm compressor work with you...not against you.....
november is fast approaching.......

HokieAg07
08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
yes .....let a 180 cfm compressor work with you...not against you.....
november is fast approaching.......

Thank God!

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
You've been feeling the heat too......
I'm ready to finish out this year with 5 more installs, service and winterizations.....than I'm going to bust up the whitetails for three months.....

DanaMac
08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm ready to cash in myself. We don't get the extreme heat, and we have no humidity, but I think I have become allergic to the sun. :)

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Dana......come down south.....pussy....

rlpsystems
08-07-2011, 11:22 PM
And I mean that as in not to eat.......playboy