PDA

View Full Version : Large yellow patches in St. Augustine

Gunner
10-27-2002, 10:37 PM
My St. Augustine lawn (and my neighbor's as well) has a large area that has turned very yellow in color. I know that he has had a water leak between our houses for the past couple of weeks that he hasn't gotten around to repairing yet. I was just wondering if the excess water could make the grass turn this color. The area affected begins very close to the leak location and widens out as the yards go downhill.

The rest of my yard looks good. I am very worried about the affected area, since winter is right around the corner. I don't think in its present condition the grass will survive.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gunner

TurfGuyTX
10-28-2002, 11:00 AM
I have seen where this can happen, but without photos of the lawn, I won't be able to say for sure. Put out some ironite and see what happens. It could be a fungus too. Good luck.

Swampbeast
10-29-2002, 11:17 PM
Down here in Houston, when the grass starts turning yellow, that means its got Cinch bugs, just get some Cinch bug poison.
To much water? Hmm. Dont know, I have seen St. Augustine growing in swamps before, lots of water there. So that would lead me to conclude that to much water doesnt hurt St. Augustine.

:cool:

Did yall know swamps are great for playing paint ball war in?

greenman
10-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
Down here in Houston, when the grass starts turning yellow, that means its got Cinch bugs, just get some Cinch bug poison.
To much water? Hmm. Dont know, I have seen St. Augustine growing in swamps before, lots of water there. So that would lead me to conclude that to much water doesnt hurt St. Augustine.

Ive never seen St. Augustine get too much water either. All that water COULD lead to pests and disease. Those pests just love the wet/damp turf in this cool fall weather.