PDA

View Full Version : SCAG NOT Starting

mwsavga
08-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I currently have a 3yr old SCAG 48V with a 19HP FH580V engine. Until today no problems. I went to start the engine this morning, nothing. I jumped the battery it run fine for a few lawns. Now it will not turn over at all. I put a new battery in, still nothing. The engine is not seized it spins freely. I turn the ignition on it sounds like power is going through the system. But im lost! Anybody have anything for me?

Marcus

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-06-2011, 10:40 PM
You check all saftey switches

mwsavga
08-06-2011, 10:55 PM
You check all saftey switches
Posted via Mobile Device

mwsavga
08-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
I made they were all in a closed position. I'm wondering if oil is an issue. I have a small weeping leak near the drain line. One of my workers has been adding oil for a few weeks. Problem is its 20W-50. What you think?
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-06-2011, 11:07 PM
So does it turn over but doesnt fire up you are saying
Or you saying turn key and its doesnt do a thing

mwsavga
08-06-2011, 11:13 PM
So does it turn over but doesnt fire up you are saying
Or you saying turn key and its doesnt do a thing

Turn the key and it does not do anything. I pulled the plugs and turned the motor via the flywheel. Its not seized.
Posted via Mobile Device

steve4mc
08-08-2011, 10:53 AM
MWsavga:
I'm assuming when you say you checked the switches that you visually checked them. Now it's time to electrically check them. Put your ohmmeter on the connections and work the switch manually. Does the ohmmeter read zero? When they go bad, they look closed but the electrical connection isn't there. And it is a pretty common thing for them to go bad especially the one under the seat. THe good news is that they aren't expensive and available on the aftermarket.

THe other thing I would do is to manually jump the starter to see if it is a starter issue. YOu should have two wires going to the starter. The big red one is hot (12V) all the time and the smaller one is hot when you turn the key on. You could check to see if you are getting 12V at the smaller wire when you turn the key on but it sounds like you aren't. If you jumper the 12V from the big wire to the smaller wire (be careful) and it turns over then you aren't getting 12V to the starter from the switch. IF it's like the other Scags I have, you have an interlock module that takes the inputs from all of the switches and puts out voltage to the starter.

Hope this helps and let us know what you find.

mwsavga
08-08-2011, 01:07 PM
MWsavga:
I'm assuming when you say you checked the switches that you visually checked them. Now it's time to electrically check them. Put your ohmmeter on the connections and work the switch manually. Does the ohmmeter read zero? When they go bad, they look closed but the electrical connection isn't there. And it is a pretty common thing for them to go bad especially the one under the seat. THe good news is that they aren't expensive and available on the aftermarket.

THe other thing I would do is to manually jump the starter to see if it is a starter issue. YOu should have two wires going to the starter. The big red one is hot (12V) all the time and the smaller one is hot when you turn the key on. You could check to see if you are getting 12V at the smaller wire when you turn the key on but it sounds like you aren't. If you jumper the 12V from the big wire to the smaller wire (be careful) and it turns over then you aren't getting 12V to the starter from the switch. IF it's like the other Scags I have, you have an interlock module that takes the inputs from all of the switches and puts out voltage to the starter.

Hope this helps and let us know what you find.
The starter was not engaging. I tapped it with a hammer now its doing fine. Guess ill start pricing starters.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
08-09-2011, 02:20 AM
Try replacing the starter solenoid first, I'm really surprised nobody else
has mentioned it, unless that mower doesn't have one..,

orourke15
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I agree with topsites, check the solenoid first.