Done in 30 mins

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Rest pics you will see the last pic has different date
I was done forgot to take last pic

White Gardens
08-06-2011, 11:48 PM
What? No Mortar?

To clean up the circle too, you can take a piece of string, tie a loop around the trunk and set the distance for each paver a little more cleanly.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-06-2011, 11:56 PM
What? No Mortar?

To clean up the circle too, you can take a piece of string, tie a loop around the trunk and set the distance for each paver a little more cleanly.

Who use mortar on Edger stone they lock together

White Gardens
08-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Who use mortar on Edger stone they lock together

Doesn't matter, they still will move and pop up.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-07-2011, 12:34 AM

Yes they do if you drive the mower on them other wise they stay put
Tree rings don t move like you think once I install last stone its very tight back fill the stones
I dig mine in I have seen others install on top the ground and yes then they will move

White Gardens
08-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Yes they do if you drive the mower on them other wise they stay put
Tree rings don t move like you think once I install last stone its very tight back fill the stones
I dig mine in I have seen others install on top the ground and yes then they will move

Dug in or not they still move, and yes you should install them so that someone can put a mower wheel on them. When a yard gets mowed 30+ times a year, it's bound to happen.

I sell my edging with mortar for the maintenance factor. I want my clients to put a mower wheel on it so they can keep it cut nice. Then it only takes maybe a handful of times each year to use a string trimmer on the edging.

Good idea on the PVC pipe to try and get a good circle. Only issue I see in your pic is that the PVC pipe doesn't hold a true circle. If you are a stickler at all like me and want your circles exactly round, then use a string tied loosely around the tree. Then wrap the other end around a can of marking paint and you won't have any flat spots in your circle.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Dug in or not they still move, and yes you should install them so that someone can put a mower wheel on them. When a yard gets mowed 30+ times a year, it's bound to happen.

I sell my edging with mortar for the maintenance factor. I want my clients to put a mower wheel on it so they can keep it cut nice. Then it only takes maybe a handful of times each year to use a string trimmer on the edging.

Good idea on the PVC pipe to try and get a good circle. Only issue I see in your pic is that the PVC pipe doesn't hold a true circle. If you are a stickler at all like me and want your circles exactly round, then use a string tied loosely around the tree. Then wrap the other end around a can of marking paint and you won't have any flat spots in your circle.

Mortar on non locking I can see but on locking stones OK
If they hang deck and use a edger its looks clean
My Jig holds a tru circle I lay it down its check with a tape before painted
String not always true due to Is the base every tree perfect no
With my Turf Teq I always over dig the circle by 2 inches that way there no air pockets on back side that will let stone move
I been doing Bullet edgers since 90s when they come out with them and then I used a string works some times not all time more I did more I learned better ways So if you are still on the string kick ok you are new at it you will learn more as do them
Lot the places I installed the edgers They still look like just installed them lot has been in the ground over 10 yrs That's ones I mow
Yes if run tire on them they will move no matter if mortar in or not
When I fix the ones that do move from a mower tire That's the ones on a curve i seen mostly
I'll pull them up and pour concrete mix and re install the stones
I check you not been doing this to long Did see you have Master degree
You must be going by the book
So sorry

White Gardens
08-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Mortar on non locking I can see but on locking stones OK
If they hang deck and use a edger its looks clean
My Jig holds a tru circle I lay it down its check with a tape before painted
String not always true due to Is the base every tree perfect no
With my Turf Teq I always over dig the circle by 2 inches that way there no air pockets on back side that will let stone move
I been doing Bullet edgers since 90s when they come out with them and then I used a string works some times not all time more I did more I learned better ways So if you are still on the string kick ok you are new at it you will learn more as do them
Lot the places I installed the edgers They still look like just installed them lot has been in the ground over 10 yrs That's ones I mow
Yes if run tire on them they will move no matter if mortar in or not
When I fix the ones that do move from a mower tire That's the ones on a curve i seen mostly
I'll pull them up and pour concrete mix and re install the stones
I check you not been doing this to long Did see you have Master degree
You must be going by the book
So sorry

No, I took the master gardners course, I don't have a masters. I've done this sort of work for 10+ years, have only been in business for 6 years.

I haven't had to go re-set any block that has been set in mortar. I sell quality, not up-scale HO work. Never should you have to re-set edging ever if you've installed them correctly. I don't waste time or money running around and re-setting blocks.

I understand your jig, especially for bullet edgers to get them to line up correctly.

String works, even if the trunk isn't completely round. It's about the optical illusion of not having any flat spots in my curves. That and I take the time to set my circles in proportion to the tree, not a standard ring or jig for each tree regardless of size. The string is only my "compass" to get equidistant from the trunk to the edge of the circle.

There is no craftsmanship in just setting blocks in the ground, especially when they line up neatly end to end. No cutting, no mitering, nothing special to differentiate between an HO job and a professional.

Also, I never use a bed edger to cut a circle around a tree. You'll never get the circle perfect as the edger won't meet your starting point cleanly. Tree rings are small, a shovel works better and you have the freedom to tweak your ring without taking out too much sod. That and I don't ever want to do major damage to any larger roots with a bed edger.

Here's your flat spot. Tell me now that your jig works the way you said it does. That and you're so set on making sure not to cut anything that you've created that flat spot in order to butt up your interlocking bricks correctly.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-07-2011, 08:28 AM
No, I took the master gardners course, I don't have a masters. I've done this sort of work for 10+ years, have only been in business for 6 years.

I haven't had to go re-set any block that has been set in mortar. I sell quality, not up-scale HO work. Never should you have to re-set edging ever if you've installed them correctly. I don't waste time or money running around and re-setting blocks.

I understand your jig, especially for bullet edgers to get them to line up correctly.

String works, even if the trunk isn't completely round. It's about the optical illusion of not having any flat spots in my curves. That and I take the time to set my circles in proportion to the tree, not a standard ring or jig for each tree regardless of size. The string is only my "compass" to get equidistant from the trunk to the edge of the circle.

There is no craftsmanship in just setting blocks in the ground, especially when they line up neatly end to end. No cutting, no mitering, nothing special to differentiate between an HO job and a professional.

Also, I never use a bed edger to cut a circle around a tree. You'll never get the circle perfect as the edger won't meet your starting point cleanly. Tree rings are small, a shovel works better and you have the freedom to tweak your ring without taking out too much sod. That and I don't ever want to do major damage to any larger roots with a bed edger.

Here's your flat spot. Tell me now that your jig works the way you said it does. That and you're so set on making sure not to cut anything that you've created that flat spot in order to butt up your interlocking bricks correctly.

Thats way photo looks I'll go take a pic at the diffent angle and see no flat spot

White Gardens
08-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Thats way photo looks I'll go take a pic at the diffent angle and see no flat spot

Whatever, a photo doesn't lie. A different angle will only hide the flat spot. You can see on the left where you edgers meet that they aren't at the same angle as the rest of them.

I'm just being honest here. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but when I see pics like this, I have to be honest. There isn't much money in this industry, and little imperfections and the such makes HO's think that a 12 year old or themselves could have done the job without paying someone who has their own business to do it.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Whatever, a photo doesn't lie. A different angle will only hide the flat spot. You can see on the left where you edgers meet that they aren't at the same angle as the rest of them.

I'm just being honest here. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but when I see pics like this, I have to be honest. There isn't much money in this industry, and little imperfections and the such makes HO's think that a 12 year old or themselves could have done the job without paying someone who has their own business to do it.

...Im so sorry I guess I need be like you and Sell shoes Then I might be able do your type work
I seen lots Imperfections in your work on your thread But I dont try slam ppl But thats how u want to play so be it

If you ever done a tree ring it takes 20 and to get them to fit they all has to be turn all same angle to work
I see you never made one and have no clue what you are talking about
I been in buisness since 1981

White Gardens
08-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Never said I didn't have any imperfections of my work. Every job I do I look at it when done and try to figure what I could have done better. There are many other scapers out there that are far more talented to me. Never am I satisfied with my work, and it must look better than good when I'm done.

I've done plenty of tree rings. I never really take pictures of them. But, when I do another one, I'll take pics just for you.

But in the mean-time, here is a picture of an almost perfect hand crafted circle for you. Again, not a kit or any way of cheating.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=167752&d=1258322501

GroundOneMN
08-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Please tell me you used Fabric under that rock?

White Gardens
08-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Please tell me you used Fabric under that rock?

Is that directed to me or Snyder?

GLS
08-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Guys, it doesn't really matter how well the edgers are installed. The tree roots will heave them up over time. That is why we don't install edging around trees. Of course we don't rock around them either. Give it a nice LARGE area of mulch for the benefit of the tree.

SDLandscapes VT
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
I think the most disconcerting thing here is everyone is quibbling over how round the circle is and he's gone and rocked (mulched) over the root flare.....and I agree with GLS--the tree will heave those bullets out.

agrostis
08-13-2011, 09:47 PM
That edging is secondary. The root zone of that tree has been rocked over. The tree is suffocating.

White Gardens
08-13-2011, 11:22 PM
So, let me throw this out there to you guys.

Why is it so bad to do rock in a tree ring? I understand the thinking and logic of using mulch over rock, but is it really that big of a deal?

Now I will say that I don't do rock around tree rings and personally push customers to using mulch.

Trees get rock around the all the time in landscape installations without any real ill effects from what I can tell.

Just throwing this out there................

SDLandscapes VT
08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I ve seen trees do okay under rock true--but never ever go over the root flare recipe for stem girdling roots.

agrostis
08-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Trees and any other plants roots need air. When you use rock as mulch you impair that plants ability to breath.

Patriot Services
08-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Cmon guys, how many beds planters , etc., have stone as topdressing? Tons do and most plants, bushes and trees do just fine. Air goes through coarse stone easier than mulch. I would pull it back a couple inches from the trunk personally. Living in the land of and personally having "permanent" extruded concrete edging I can tell you it will all move eventually.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArenaLandscaping
08-14-2011, 08:39 AM
That edging is secondary. The root zone of that tree has been rocked over. The tree is suffocating.

No Offense, but that makes no sense. How is the tree suffocating? Its crushed stone.
Water and air pass through with ease.
Have you ever seen trees in a city environment, planted on the sidewalk encased with concrete with only a 2'x2' metal grate opening with crushed stone under the grate for drainage.
The thought behind crushing stone , was for drainage use. Use for landscaping was an afterthought.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-14-2011, 10:18 PM

I rather do Rock over mulch
Mulch is a waste of money you have keep adding each year for color
Rock lets water and air to the roots been doing them for 10 yrs with no suffocating the tree thats dumbest thing I ever heard
I use to push mulch at one time Now I rather rock everything no maintance yes I know Im cutting my throat$$$$ Rock looks better Rock is a higher cost but in 5 yrs most time pays for its self over mulch some mulch price might be 2 yrs
When you tell customer maintance free bed its a good seller

GroundOneMN
09-28-2011, 04:53 PM
You can go round and round with this topic, but mulch and the benifits that it provides to the plant and or tree far surpass anything that using rock will.

By the way rock is far from maintence free, it is worse than mulch when it comes to maintence.

BrunoT
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM

I'm waiting for mine to do that. It's been 6 years now. I'm thinking they aren't deep enough to have a major issue with that.

Besides, won't the mortar crack if they heave up?