PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Size

TheChiefsLawnCare
08-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Ok, so Im looking at enclosed trailers. My plans for the future as far as equipment are a 32, 21 and 48. 4 rack for trimmer 2 blowers hedge trimmer trash can w/b edger chain saw. Im looking at:

6x12 v nose single axle for 2177.00
6x12 v nose tandem axle for 3099.00
7x12 v nose single axle for 2535.00
7x12 v nose tandem axle for 3703
7x14 v nose tandem axle for 3354

What do yall think is necessary the tandem or the single. As far as length if you think you could work with 12 feet youd wish you had that extra 2 feet. From what I understand the purpose behind the tandem is to allow you to haul more weight and get a better ride from the trailer. And from looking at the prices in the list I would rule the 7x12 tandem out cause its by far the most expensive I can get a bigger trailer for way cheaper. Well just let me know what yall think.

TheChiefsLawnCare
08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Ok, so I was wondering why the 7x12 was the most expensive and this is why, its got diamond plate all the way around the bottom extra height tie downs etc etc etc its the bently of the 7x12 trailer. So the reg 7x12 is 3073

TheChiefsLawnCare
08-06-2011, 11:49 PM
One last thing, in case your wondering these are all made by Lark

lawnpropm
08-06-2011, 11:57 PM
I have a 6x12 enclosed and hate it! Get the biggest you can afford and grow into it. Tandem axle will be better on your truck pulling wise. The only good thing about the 12 footer is its easy to park and maneuver. My next trailer will be a 20 footer minimum!
Posted via Mobile Device

Falcon50EX
08-07-2011, 07:30 AM
I have been looking for about a year for a enclosed. I currently have a 12x6 open 3500lbs axle.
I am looking at a 14x7 5200lbs tandem but now i am more in line with a 16x8 same axles 12" on center floor.
Horton Hauler out of Eatonton GA

If you can go bigger then it will give you room to move around and not step over thing to get to things. I have even thought of putting a ramp door in the V nose to run a mower out both ends. lots of options good luck

XLS
08-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Pick a lenght that is long enough to park your mowers onthat is it for length
then find a width that is AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE then go with any trailer over 7`

there is no need for room at all unless you will be upgrading to mowers that wouldn`t fit (Going from 36" walks to 2 walkers)everything else will be on the walls
go wide so you have room to walk through it if loaded ( I hate our box trucks for this reason) and go tall so you canplace ladders over head

a trick is to place all of your mowers on you lawn togather then place the additional tools that you will have i the trailer then take a measurment around the outside to get a rough size needed measurment.
if you are using the enclosed as a storage trailer where everything stays in it reguardless of the jobthen it is good to go larger thena single axle as well
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
08-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Pick what you think and then go the next size up in length and yes the wider the better especially when you start hanging on the walls.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Tandem is a must that shouldn't even be a consideration other wise in this trade. I would also say get the 7 foot wide even though I would prefer 8 its not on your option list. You may want to go with a 72 inch ztr one day add on a vac system and your see why 6 foots to skinny. Now as for length anything 14 to 18 feet long works well I own a 12 footer and wouldn't recommend it's to limiting. I also have a 20 footer and wouldn't recommend it its way to big for a beginner I must have 5 or 6 stressful moments a day with it. Nothing like driving down a road finding it blocked off and being 48 feet long.

KrayzKajun
08-07-2011, 07:53 PM
i would go 7x14 vnose tandem axle. where did u get the prices from? go see Joanna in Westwego, guaranty a better price

i paid $6000 for my 8.5 x 18 + vnose, 5200lb axles, led lights, side vents, reinforced floor ribs, rear stabilizer jacks and bogey wheels etc...

if you wanna look at mine let me know, u can stop by my shop one day

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
08-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Bigger is better. I went from a 6x12 open to a 7x16 open. I love it. I changed mowers a few times. I had a 50 ztr first then I got a 36wb I wanted to have both but I couldn't put them both on the 6x12 so I sold the ztr. Now I got a 52 ztr on the 7x16 I cant wait to get another wb n I have plenty of room. It isnt bad to tow but some small areas are a pain, but worth it to me.

XLS
08-09-2011, 12:00 PM
baxter not trying to sound like a xxx but??? any 12` trailer would hold a ztr and walk wth??? i can tell you that sounds off to me completely considering we can place a 60" gravely and a waLker on a 12, trailer.
and with the same gravelys and our 52"bradley`s we have between 2 and 3` left.....what is up with your 36"??,

it sounds like misinformation to me if it would not fit what is the missing details as to why???
the OP needs to park his stuff then measure it off,not to complicated
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpropm
08-09-2011, 12:14 PM
baxter not trying to sound like a xxx but??? any 12` trailer would hold a ztr and walk wth??? i can tell you that sounds off to me completely considering we can place a 60" gravely and a waLker on a 12, trailer.
and with the same gravelys and our 52"bradley`s we have between 2 and 3` left.....what is up with your 36"??,

it sounds like misinformation to me if it would not fit what is the missing details as to why???
the OP needs to park his stuff then measure it off,not to complicated
Posted via Mobile Device

Correct me if im wrong but doesn't the deck on that walker fold up?
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
it will tilt but i didnt say we tilted it to load it.
a walker will tuck under the engine frame of a z cutting off about 2 ` of its length

a z is under 7` most of them anyways. is a 36" over 6`??? because i would think you could load them togather

XLS
08-09-2011, 01:40 PM
the bradleys will tuck near a foot under them as well the wheels of the walker and bradleys hit the wheels of the Z mowers
Posted via Mobile Device

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
08-09-2011, 03:01 PM
xls I tried every different way possible to fit the 36 and the ztr. The issue was getting the wb to turn sideways not enough room to swing. And sorry I'm gonna correct myself it was a 5x12.

TheChiefsLawnCare
08-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Hey jacob I have been talking to her on the phone. she was supposd to call me back today with some prices. Imma go over there thurs if i dont have yards to do and see what she can do in person. i have found a place in brookhaven ms that has a 7x16 v tandem ramp for 3500 for 6 foot hight or 3644 for same by 1/2 taller.

TheChiefsLawnCare
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
o and the brand for that price is lark

XLS
08-09-2011, 10:25 PM
5x12 dont allow the 36 to be off to one side so i see it getting tight especially with a sulkey.
Posted via Mobile Device

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
08-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah I know 5x12 is tight, but it works with only the 36. My advice was to go as big a possible. Unless you only plan on running small equip. If you want to expand or get new stuff or even extra jobs and still mow that day. BIGGER IS BETTER.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-13-2011, 02:06 AM
I went from a wide 12' open to a 16' Pace that is the widest you can get. If your trailer is too tight you will waste time and money trying to get to your equipment. I have a bad azz set up that I can send you pictures of. You can take one step inside my trailer an grab three blowers off a customized Trimmertrap rack, four string trimmers off a Extreme Series rack, a 2.5 gallon mix can off a custom made rack, or string trimmer line off the wall mounted spool.

All mowers are secured by Prolockers that can release the mowers with the quick pull of a knob. We have a rack on the ceiling that holds a 3' & 8' folding ladder. A box in the front of the trailer holds 10 gallons on gas and 7.5 gallons of mix. We have custom made storage compartments for our articulating trimmer and four hand help trimmers.

It's all about having an efficient setup that saves you money at every stop but safely stores your equipment.

KrayzKajun
08-13-2011, 07:04 AM
I went from a wide 12' open to a 16' Pace that is the widest you can get. If your trailer is too tight you will waste time and money trying to get to your equipment. I have a bad azz set up that I can send you pictures of. You can take one step inside my trailer an grab three blowers off a customized Trimmertrap rack, four string trimmers off a Extreme Series rack, a 2.5 gallon mix can off a custom made rack, or string trimmer line off the wall mounted spool.

All mowers are secured by Prolockers that can release the mowers with the quick pull of a knob. We have a rack on the ceiling that holds a 3' & 8' folding ladder. A box in the front of the trailer holds 10 gallons on gas and 7.5 gallons of mix. We have custom made storage compartments for our articulating trimmer and four hand help trimmers.

It's all about having an efficient setup that saves you money at every stop but safely stores your equipment.

I wanna see pics!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Falcon50EX
08-13-2011, 07:33 AM
I wanna see pics!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Look at page 1 or 2 I think that is his trailer
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
08-13-2011, 09:55 AM
I had an enclosed last year. The dry part is nice but overall smaller is better to me (opposite of what most people are saying). I do too many miles to pull an enclosed everywhere. Then theres cost, spend 6k vs 2k, 4 tires to replace vs 2. Why spend all that $. I went back to a single axle open trailer. I could see going enclosed if local enforcement on tieing down equipment is tough. Usually you can at least get your handhelds indoors even if your limited on space.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Look at page 1 or 2 I think that is his trailer
Posted via Mobile Device

It's too bad the search feature on this forum sucks. I had another posting that had even more pictures in the past. I had to build another setup for my hedge trimmers because the rack I had built caused them to leak a little. I'll zap some updated pictures of the trailer and show you the little things I've done to save time and keep equipment from getting damaged.

KrayzKajun
08-14-2011, 09:17 PM
It's too bad the search feature on this forum sucks. I had another posting that had even more pictures in the past. I had to build another setup for my hedge trimmers because the rack I had built caused them to leak a little. I'll zap some updated pictures of the trailer and show you the little things I've done to save time and keep equipment from getting damaged.

Yea I tried to find your pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
08-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Here's my setup. I can only post five pics at a time so I'll add one more posting. You can see the bump stops I had to make to keep pressure off the piano hinge when my ramp is closed. The blocks for the push mower is a must. It takes only seconds to secure the push mower and it will never come loose.

The Extreme series string trimmer rack is a must. As well as a spool holder with a built in line cutter. You must have a mix can your guys can grab in two seconds but it must be secured where it doesn't roll around. The fire extinguisher in an easy to get to spot is a must as well.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
#1 Here's a picture of the blocks that hold in the mower.

#2 I made blocks to protect the handles on the ProLockers. As you see one safety block is already damaged.

#3 You can see my articulating trimmer tucker in against the wall in a safe spot.

#4 You can see all the No Spill can in my box that contains the fumes and prevents the cans from rolling around in the trailer.

#5 I keep all my spray tanks in a toolbox in the back of the truck. The backpack sits tucked in the bed since we use it all the time. The black containers are in the box mostly to take up space so everything stays upright and can't roll around. The blue bucket holds surfactant, Sethoxydim, Conserve SC, and there is a bottle of SedgeHammer sitting in the top tray. The jug on the right with red & white caps on it is Finale. The orange bucket keeps the spray wands organized and out of bars way. If you don't keep your spray tanks in a box dirt and other material always ends up getting in the tanks and clogging the wand tips.

XLS
08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
ok today i spent all day looking at enclosed trailers and i have alot more questions then answers after seeing them 1st hand.

how do you guys secure the accesories to the walls??.
The ones i looked at seemed very light made. 3/8" plywood walls, nothing on the ceiling.
I was shocked at the poor built designs. i mean i dont trust 3/8" plywood to hold a 50 lbs rack of trimmers . The floors were 1/2" plywood?? am i missing something
Posted via Mobile Device

alternative
08-17-2011, 06:28 AM
ok today i spent all day looking at enclosed trailers and i have alot more questions then answers after seeing them 1st hand.

how do you guys secure the accesories to the walls??.
The ones i looked at seemed very light made. 3/8" plywood walls, nothing on the ceiling.
I was shocked at the poor built designs. i mean i dont trust 3/8" plywood to hold a 50 lbs rack of trimmers . The floors were 1/2" plywood?? am i missing something
Posted via Mobile Device

You will have to mount 1x6's to the studs, then mount your racks. Also the floor can be beefed up without adding too much wieght either with some wood beams, or just install another peice of 1/2" ply to the floor.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-17-2011, 09:17 AM
I added 1/2" plywood to the walls, floor, and ramp. I also thought 3/8" plywood was skimpy.

XLS
08-18-2011, 12:28 AM
so the 3/8" is comom in these trailers

PlantscapeSolutions
08-18-2011, 12:42 AM
so the 3/8" is comom in these trailers

Yes. Also, I would recommend comparing trailers from small manufacturers to the Pace & Wells Cargo trailers. This way you can see the things the smaller companies often do to save money.

alternative
08-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes. Also, I would recommend comparing trailers from small manufacturers to the Pace & Wells Cargo trailers. This way you can see the things the smaller companies often do to save money.

Wells Cargo is top of the line...you get what you pay for, but Cargo mate is in the middle..not junk, but not nearly well built as Wells or Pace