PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace

Surfdunn
08-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I went on an estimate the other day and the customer was interested in an outdoor fire place. My question is has anyone used one of belgards pre made fire places or any other type of pre made fireplaces? I was originally looking at building one on site and and using veneer stone but if the pre made ones are good and price efficient I may be interested in the route

scagrider22
08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I went on an estimate the other day and the customer was interested in an outdoor fire place. My question is has anyone used one of belgards pre made fire places or any other type of pre made fireplaces? I was originally looking at building one on site and and using veneer stone but if the pre made ones are good and price efficient I may be interested in the route

You can make a lot more money if you build it yourself and it will make your portfolio better if all your fire places are different from each other.

Budlightshooter
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Done a few, actually the photo you see is in the brochure is one of mine from last year. Easy set-up and installation. Now what i found was the real factor was how busy are you. You will make more $ on building one yourself, if you were busy and can see the logic of making money on two jobs at the same time you will see its not bad for actual production hours put into the actual fireplace.

Murphy's Law
08-13-2011, 12:31 PM
I build fireplace made by Cambridge last year. It is essentially all retaining wall block and each has to be placed individually. It went up surprisingly quick and looks great but the pad installation was pretty involved. Needed to go down 4 feet for sonotubes then 6 inch 4,000 psi slab with rebar. Pretty involved.

DVS Hardscaper
09-06-2011, 11:17 PM
I believe Belgard has a few nice fireplaces, and Nicolock has 1 fireplace. Both companies are modular block. Which ain't as nice as stone veneer.

Glenn Lawn Care
09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree, I think you should build it yourself.

DVS Hardscaper
09-07-2011, 11:21 AM
You would have to be a mason to build a product of masonry on your own.

And...being these things are expensive and a client is paying you - you need to be a darn good mason.

And......darn good masons don't typically inquire on whats on the market because they're capable of starting from scratch. As the topic creator has done.

With that said, with a due respect, I would NOT advise this person building it his/her self.

And if you go the modular block route, why build from scratch? The manufacturers have done all the calculations and supply everything you need. Building modular from scratch is time consuming and a shot in the dark. The manufacturer's kits are as easy as it gets. Thats why they came out with them. To make life easier.

woodwardschris
09-08-2011, 09:44 AM
What about the Firerock kits? More appealing than the modular block kits and probably close to the same cost.

ma71t
09-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Just did a fire rock kit, it was slick and worked out well, I'd never done a fireplace before so I didnt want to mess with building a firebox from scratch and risk screwing up. I'm traditionally a stone mason not a brick and block guy so I dont really have that type of background. It worked out well and was a decent base to start from. Plus the customers like the idea of a premade warrantied firebox for whatever thats worth.

joes169
09-09-2011, 11:54 AM
If you like the "Firerock" FP's, look into the Isokern units as well. More options & a better overall system IMO.