PDA

View Full Version : Blasted Necrotic Ring Spot

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
This disease is so frustrating.

I have one customer (mowing and app) that has a perennial problem with this disease. He lives in a newer subdev, sodded KBG over clay, and in a wooded area. Lawn is probably 4-5 years old.

I started dealing with this issue last season. I aerated twice, put down an app of Heritage last fall (Oct) and then again late May this season (right after aerating). I plan to aerate again this Sept/Oct.

The disease still cropped up pretty strong this July with the scorching temps and humidity. Frustrating to say the least, and my customer has e-mailed wondering what is going on. At least I have informed him that it is not an easy issue to deal with, and it may take a number of years.

My question is, what else can I do? I have read some about the application of a straight Milorganite fert app, any comments on the efficacy of that proposition? Any other thoughts? Can this disease even be beaten back, or am I leading the customer on (unintentionally)?

fl-landscapes
08-07-2011, 09:26 PM
re-seed with a more resistant kbg?

dgw
08-07-2011, 09:42 PM
not sure how you put your fungicide down, but i personally got much better results with spectator at max rate and 2 gallons per k instead of one like i do with everything else

R & R Yard Designs
08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Ict npp will knock it down.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
The sod farm could have used better seed, but didn't. The sod farm could have avoided selling sod from an infested part of the field--but didn't. Customer could have got better sod--maybe.
First, simple thing, is to get new rolls of sod (top quality) and cut the bad spots out square and patch with new pieces of sod. Cut to fit and water. Takes about 5 minutes per spot.

Second, scratch it up thoroughly, and overseed with a high-quality disease resistant seed. You want a Kentucky bluegrass and top perennial rye mixture. Use plenty of seed (about 10 times more than needed, you don't want to do this twice). The bluegrass seldom takes well, but the rye will fill it in--and it is not affected by Necrotic ring spot. A top-quality rye will not match perfectly, but you have to get real close to tell the difference.

http://www.pickseed.com/usa/Products/PDF/moon_shadow_ts.pdf
Moon shodw has excellent resistance. Granite from Pickseed is also good.

dgw
08-07-2011, 09:55 PM
The sod farm could have used better seed, but didn't. The sod farm could have avoided selling sod from an infested part of the field--but didn't. Customer could have got better sod--maybe.
First, simple thing, is to get new rolls of sod (top quality) and cut the bad spots out square and patch with new pieces of sod. Cut to fit and water. Takes about 5 minutes per spot.

Second, scratch it up thoroughly, and overseed with a high-quality disease resistant seed. You want a Kentucky bluegrass and top perennial rye mixture. Use plenty of seed (about 10 times more than needed, you don't want to do this twice). The bluegrass seldom takes well, but the rye will fill it in--and it is not affected by Necrotic ring spot. A top-quality rye will not match perfectly, but you have to get real close to tell the difference.

using a good rye is another thing the osu extension recommends for this issue

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I should have mentioned we did overseed last Sept. Slice seed job with primarily TTTF (and a small amount of good quality KBG). The seeding took very well.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Ict npp will knock it down.
Posted via Mobile Device

what does this mean?

R & R Yard Designs
08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
It will kill it. Don't trust me call bill at Ict we used 12 gallons this year at lawns look great
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
08-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi buddy -- I would not spend money of fungicides.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/store/itemDetail.aspx?ProductID=12606

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi buddy -- I would not spend money of fungicides.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/store/itemDetail.aspx?ProductID=12606

I did do a round of Heritage in late May and was not impressed by the staying power. So, I am beginning to agree with you. I am curious about this ICT product though.....

Smallaxe
08-09-2011, 08:04 AM
What cultural practices would help prevent Necrotic Ring Spot? What sort of eco-system would favor the growth of beneficial fungi vs the pathegen?? I wouldn't exclude developing a healthy turf in favor of a quick fix...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
axe, valid point. What I know and what others have told me: aerate/aerate/aerate (doing), introduce disease resistant KBG and fescues/rye (did last fall, complete overseed), don't overstimulate with N (check, low amount of N comparatively added thus far this season), judiciously use herbicides (only one spray round done, will be for entire season), mow high (I mow this lawn at 3"). Another thing I can think of, eliminate areas in lawn where water can pool and collect - this will require some serious renovation/regrading and I will avoid this if possible merely because my cust will not want to pay for this.

So, I am doing most of what I can I feel. I have read some on the use of organics to combat this. May try Milorganite for Labor Day app and check into that ICT product.

Thanks everyone for the input!

countryclublawnllc
08-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I've had the best success using one of the organic type fertilizers at a 1lb. N/1000 rate. Try a Ringers or similar and you should see some good results.

John

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-10-2011, 12:05 AM
I've had the best success using one of the organic type fertilizers at a 1lb. N/1000 rate. Try a Ringers or similar and you should see some good results.

John

Good thought...I'll check that out or was thinking Milorganite.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Pulling this back up. I ordered 1-2-3 NPP from ICT organics tonight and plan to use on a few NRS infected lawns when the weather gets warmer. Fingers are crossed.

EquityGreen
04-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Let me know if this worked for you last year. The aerating and overseeding. I have a few lawns that I aerated and have slit seeded in the past with excellent results.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Yes I slice seeded an infected NRS lawn last season with good results. The frog eye spots are not so nearly evident. The problem is the disease keeps flaring up every year. That is where the ICT product comes in.

R & R Yard Designs
04-11-2012, 08:36 PM
quality you're gonna love I c t we applied to a property 2 years ago last year it is never looked better
Posted via Mobile Device

RodneyK
04-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Had same issue with Kbg sod on clay. Used Clearys 3336 in the fall a couple years ago. Issue did not return. Also continued aeration. Do not understand why people want to slit seed in fescues and rye into Kbg stands. I understand to strengthen stand against disease etc. but what a waste. Why heinz 57 up the stand? Must have been a crappy Kbg sod mix to start.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Good point but I am certain it is not pure KBG sod. Likely a good dose of Per Rye in there as well. It was already Heinz 56.......albeit cheap crap.

Brown & Co.
04-12-2012, 01:28 AM
if its a repeating problem... and in a small area can you just cut it out and renovate it? Are you sure your treating for the right thing?

RodneyK
04-12-2012, 07:09 AM
I remembered on the Clearys 3336 that it was two apps three weeks apart at high rate in the fall that did it for me. But this lawn also gets preventative fungicide treatments throughout year.

Smallaxe
04-12-2012, 07:19 AM
There's good money in treating the symptoms, but very little to be made if the disease itself was cured...

The Squirt&Fert business, is a lot like the Medical Profession... :)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-12-2012, 09:36 AM
if its a repeating problem... and in a small area can you just cut it out and renovate it? Are you sure your treating for the right thing?

There are spots throughout the lawn, that are magnified when the hot July weather hits (disease flares up). Yes it is confirmed NRS.

RigglePLC
04-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Retired now. But...it is a good idea to ask where the sod came from. You will eventually get an idea of which sod farm is infested. If you find a top-quality sod farm--resod the spots--or--resod the whole thing with top-quality disease resistant sod. The newer seed cultivars are much better.

heritage
04-12-2012, 11:24 PM
There are spots throughout the lawn, that are magnified when the hot July weather hits (disease flares up). Yes it is confirmed NRS.

DA,

What is the P.H. of this clients water?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-12-2012, 11:30 PM
DA,

What is the P.H. of this clients water?

DK, he is on a different city water system than I am.
Why do you ask? He doesn't water his lawn at all.

Smallaxe
04-13-2012, 10:23 AM

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p324necrotic-ring-turf.html
"...The fungus survives winter in infected plant material. The disease is spread by plant to plant contact or mechanically with lawn equipment. The fungus becomes active during cool, wet periods in the spring and again in the fall. Grass sheaths and roots are infected and eventually killed...."

Smallaxe
04-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Also from the site:
"... Necrotic ring spot frequently occurs on two- to five-year-old sodded lawns and is especially prevalent in vigorously growing lawns. These lawns often develop a thick thatch layer, which stimulates fungal growth. Necrotic ring spot is also common in lawns that have layered soil; one to two inches of topsoil laid down over hard compacted native soil, but not mixed together. This effect produces a lawn with shallow roots and poor drainage. "

Smallaxe
04-13-2012, 10:28 AM
I didn't find where NRC,, is caused by the lack of a 'cide... headaches,, are caused by the lack of an aspirin... manhood, is caused bt the lack of Rosey O.'s mouth... etc., etc. ... :)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Also from the site:
"... Necrotic ring spot frequently occurs on two- to five-year-old sodded lawns and is especially prevalent in vigorously growing lawns. These lawns often develop a thick thatch layer, which stimulates fungal growth. Necrotic ring spot is also common in lawns that have layered soil; one to two inches of topsoil laid down over hard compacted native soil, but not mixed together. This effect produces a lawn with shallow roots and poor drainage. "

Yes this is exactly true for this guy's lawn. Its how most new development lawns are done, and why I only see NRS in new developments.