PDA

View Full Version : unequal enforcement = frustrations

olcllc
08-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I can't help but think that us small operators receive a larger focus of attention from pesticide regulation and enforcement than do larger firms.

For instance twice in the same month I observed two different companies in violation of the law and made inquiry of them with little or no interest from the Dept. of Ag.

First was Asplundh. A crew out spraying the right-of-way of power lines. Both operators were shirtless, no gloves, no eye protection and winds were 20mph +.

Second was DBI (DeAngelo Brothers). Same thing, crew with no PPE spraying railroad right-of-way in windy conditions with drift crossing a highway onto a pasture. They had shirts on... just sleeveless, one guy in shorts.

I wonder if anyone would notice me riding my sprayer naked? Of course they would, I have been inspected three times in a twelve month period!

Ric
08-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Welcome to the Real World. I would b!tch too but it doesn't help.

olcllc
08-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Welcome to the Real World. I would b!tch too but it doesn't help.

Deeper pockets = less regulation and oversight.

Just gets harder to feel good about doing the right thing when so many others don't.

WestGaPineStraw
08-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Well... I've been licensed for 3 years now, not one time has the Ga Dept of Ag come to inspect me. It seems like they just don't care down here. I've called and filled other lco's winning government contracts without a license. They said they would look into it. Pure BS imo...

olcllc
08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Well... I've been licensed for 3 years now, not one time has the Ga Dept of Ag come to inspect me. It seems like they just don't care down here. I've called and filled other lco's winning government contracts without a license. They said they would look into it. Pure BS imo...

Yes, I agree. Seem to be more concerned that you documet the applications but not too cocerned on whether you applied them correctly.

Ric
08-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Over the years I have gone through a few Ag Inspectors. They start off like a new broom and then soon fizzle out. But they still have quota to meet so the easiest thing to do is bang on the licensed guys because they already have our address ans phone number.

I know a illegal applicator who has been doing it for years. He also cuts. But he does all his application on Saturday & Sunday and no state wage slave is going to work on week ends.