PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FB460v wont stay running

Handydadto4
08-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a Ransomes walk behind with a Kawasaki FB460v motor. The engine starts well but after running 2-5 minutes it dies. I have completely rebuilt the carb, cleaned the tank and fuel lines, installed a new fuel filter, and air filter, replaced the spark plug, changed the oil and oil filter. Once it stalls out it takes 4 or 5 minutes before it can be restarted then it will run again for 2-5 minutes and die again. Any ideas on what the heck is going on with this machine? Thanks
Mike

Snapper Jack
08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
My first instincts would be to look at the coil breaking down when it gets hot. Here's a manual that might provide some guidance. Does your pull start housing have any provisions for a governor assist arm & spring to provide instant throttle changes and to provide higher RPM operation,just curious cuz my FB460V does.
http://www.encoreequipment.com/servicebook/05DealerTips/13%20Kawasaki%20Engines/Engine%20Service%20Manuals/12hp_FB460V.pdf

Impressions Landscaping
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Another issue could be the ignitor. I had the same issue. Once it would cool off it would run again for 3-5 mins then shut off. Take a look at that..however, I know the part new is around 60 bucks so make sure that is the problem before replacing.

weapons of grass destruction
08-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Another issue could be the ignitor. I had the same issue. Once it would cool off it would run again for 3-5 mins then shut off. Take a look at that..however, I know the part new is around 60 bucks so make sure that is the problem before replacing.

If you replace the ingitor replace the coil to.
It sounds like thats the problem.

Handydadto4
08-12-2011, 10:24 AM
I replaced the ignition coil and boot and it made no difference.... the Control unit(Ignitor) is on order and should be in today. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. I also checked to be sure the vent hole in the gas tank cap was clear therefore ruling out vapor lock. Thanks for all the good ideas.

Mike

Handydadto4
08-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Machine still shuts off when it gets hot. New Coil and boot, new ignitor(control unit) set proper air gap for coil, rebuilt carb, new fuel lines, filter, new oil and oil filter, new gas cap, new plug, not sure whats left to do on this thing to solve this problem short of a complete rebuild.:dizzy: