PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Apps and Drought Stressed Lawns.

White Gardens
08-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I got a couple of calls for herbicide apps. We are going through and extremely dry period in our area.

I'm concerned about stressing the lawns even more with a herbicide app, even if the temps and humidity have dropped significantly as of late.

I did do a spot spray test on my own lawn with Surge, and Drive XLR8 for a few hard to controls and CG. So far my crispy grass hasn't shown any signs of any chemical stress that I can tell.

Any thoughts on this. Just wanted to get some input.

Also wanted to add that these are Cool Season lawns.

indyturf
08-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I started doing spot treatment apps today. temps have dropped out of the 90's and its raining as we speak.

n-green
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I am more concerned with moisture than temps. I tell them weed control is not effective without water.

phillie
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
When they call at this time of year, I tell them to water a few times this week. I will be out next week and keep watering a few times a week for best results. Just explain to them how water helps the chemical eork on the target pest.

Ric
08-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I am more concerned with moisture than temps. I tell them weed control is not effective without water.

N green

I am not a cool season guy BUT weeds have to be actively growing to up take herbicide. Dry Stressed desirable turf will absorb the water and herbicide in stronger quantities than is safe and can easily be burnt.

I only apply selective Herbicides to healthy turf. Heat I deal with IF the turf is healthy.

GrandMaster
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
N green

I am not a cool season guy BUT weeds have to be actively growing to up take herbicide. Dry Stressed desirable turf will absorb the water and herbicide in stronger quantities than is safe and can easily be burnt.

I only apply selective Herbicides to healthy turf. Heat I deal with IF the turf is healthy.

Weeds that are stressed and not growing (now) are real tough. But can be killed.