PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Q4

N8EvansLG
08-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Hey guys, quick question for y'all. I am going to be spraying some Q4 this week, the temp is suppose to get up to the mid 80's. Does anyone think its nessecary to use sticker? I don't think i will, just wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks

dgw
08-08-2011, 09:51 PM
sure, if you are spraying Q4 im guessing you are hitting hard to controls . or you wouldnt waste the money

loveland activator 90 will do the trick for CG and sedge

grassman177
08-08-2011, 09:57 PM
it is on the label you need to use one, hard to find, but it is there. you wont get much kill at all cuz it is water based if you dont use one

N8EvansLG
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys , i downloaded the lable on a pdf on my phone so its really hard to read.I will check out the lable on the jug tomorrow and see what the rate is for the sticker. Thanks again

jbturf
08-08-2011, 10:21 PM
qoute from the label---
"Certain spray tank additives (adjuvants, wetting agents,
surfactants), liquid fertilizers, and tank mixtures containing emulsifiable
concentrates may reduce the selectivity on the turfgrass. Use
adjuvants and spray additives or tank-mix combinations only when
your experience indicates that the tank mixture will not result in
objectionable turf injury."

grassman177
08-08-2011, 10:27 PM
yeah, but it does not control weeds without one, at least not well. tried it before.

i know you dont want too much surfactant, but i have never caused injury to turf with this before.

just like drive 75DF, you have to use a surfactant to get results, but too much and it will burn the crap outta the grass.

will have to go read the label now so i got things right, i always have to re read every year(cuz you are supposed to anyway!) and have not done so yet as i have not sprayed any yet

grassman177
08-08-2011, 10:51 PM
ok, could not find anything on the label saying it is better to use one, but i can assure here at least it is, i am gonna check the surge label now, cuz i swear it said something on one of the two labels about this........

turf hokie
08-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Q4 without spreader is flushing money down the toilet.

We use Hawkeye....

grassman177
08-08-2011, 11:06 PM
ok,same on both labels, my bad

but, here, there is almost little to no effect without a surfactant mixed in as long as it is not too much that it can turn bad for the turf.

N8EvansLG
08-08-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and use some sticker with it after reading everyone input , I'm just going to be on the safe side and use 1/4oz per gallon , it should be ok since im using the minimum rate of 2.6 per 1000sq feet. I appreciate everyones help. I was just worried about burning the turf. It was been 95 degrees plus for over a month here in MO snd we are finally getting a break fron the heat. Lots of sedge and spurge out there. Gotta get it while i can, Thanks again everyone

RigglePLC
08-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Good question: (again), do surfactants burn turf at high rates?
If so which surfactants and how high was the rate?
(And what kind of grass and what temperature?)

jbturf
08-08-2011, 11:24 PM
i suspect its to cover themselves ,
but i also always use spreader and or sticker,
but i would caution in temps into the 90's and above

i treated a patch weeds mostly crab at my house with q4plus with surfactant only,
last week, 3 days noticable wilting and slight discoloration,
5 days near complete yellowing of crab, some sapplings burned down, some oxalis
wilted and slight twist

grassman177
08-08-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and use some sticker with it after reading everyone input , I'm just going to be on the safe side and use 1/4oz per gallon , it should be ok since im using the minimum rate of 2.6 per 1000sq feet. I appreciate everyones help. I was just worried about burning the turf. It was been 95 degrees plus for over a month here in MO snd we are finally getting a break fron the heat. Lots of sedge and spurge out there. Gotta get it while i can, Thanks again everyone

same thing here, same weather basically as you. going out in full force this week to get what i can.

i dont think you will like the control of grassy weeds without full rate though as it will be more like the old q4 was without the full does of quinclorac. just saying.

grassman177
08-08-2011, 11:29 PM
while on the subject here of surfactants, in another thread about them on here greendoctor was talking about the bennies of MSO over nornal non ionic surfactants like the induce i am using. do you think mso has more burn potential than the regular surfactant?

thoughts,experiences?

N8EvansLG
08-08-2011, 11:31 PM
i suspect its to cover themselves ,
but i also always use spreader and or sticker,
but i would caution in temps into the 90's and above

i treated a patch weeds mostly crab at my house with q4plus with surfactant only,
last week, 3 days noticable wilting and slight discoloration,
5 days near complete yellowing of crab, some sapplings burned down, some oxalis
wilted and slight twist

Did you use the min rate of Q4? And how much sticker did you use? And was it cool season grass? All of our propertys are Fescue/Bluegrass. I'm not trying to poach but it sounds like you got some good results in a short amount of time. I will prob only have this week to spray then i'm sure the heat wave will be blazling again. Any info will be a lot of help. We have never used Q4 before my boss has always been kind of scared of it.

N8EvansLG
08-08-2011, 11:38 PM
same thing here, same weather basically as you. going out in full force this week to get what i can.

i dont think you will like the control of grassy weeds without full rate though as it will be more like the old q4 was without the full does of quinclorac. just saying.

I guess I will go with the full rate 3.3oz per 1000sq feet. Like i siad in the previous post, never used the Q before so i was a little iffy on the full rate. Thanks

lawns Etc
08-09-2011, 01:31 PM
I only use Q4 for spot spraying I use 4 oz per gallon and 1/2 oz sticker and works great even in high temps with minimal discoloration to turf.

grassman177
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
we use 3oz which is the high rate

americanlawn
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
That's what we do too. 4 oz/gallon. Plus 2-3 ounces of LI-700 per gallon. Plus 2 ounces per gallon of Chaser ester.

We apply it with a Shurflo SRS600 electric backpack (flat fan nozzle) >> setting #1 for small parches/setting #2 for large areas. Never any turf injury. It always works.

I only use Q4 for spot spraying I use 4 oz per gallon and 1/2 oz sticker and works great even in high temps with minimal discoloration to turf.

Service 1st Lawn Care
08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Doesn't Q-4 only suppress Nutsedge were something like Sedgehammer actually takes it out? I don't believe the actual active ingredient is enough to take it out but then I could be wrong.

americanlawn
08-09-2011, 07:03 PM
If the poster is talkin' crabgrass/foxtail -- no prob. Regarding yellow nutsedge, I always spike it with a 1/2 rate of sedge killer just to make sure. Sledgehammer, Basagran, Dismiss -- doesn't mater.

Just used some Basagran this afternoon on our own property for yellow nutsedge. Hope to see early visual within 3 days. We'll see. :confused::waving:

Doesn't Q-4 only suppress Nutsedge were something like Sedgehammer actually takes it out? I don't believe the actual active ingredient is enough to take it out but then I could be wrong.

grassman177
08-09-2011, 07:08 PM
q4 will knock it out, but i have never gotten complete year to year control with manage/sedgehammer so i went with sulfentrazone(in q4) and have been very happy.

jbturf
08-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Did you use the min rate of Q4? And how much sticker did you use? And was it cool season grass? All of our propertys are Fescue/Bluegrass. I'm not trying to poach but it sounds like you got some good results in a short amount of time. I will prob only have this week to spray then i'm sure the heat wave will be blazling again. Any info will be a lot of help. We have never used Q4 before my boss has always been kind of scared of it.

q4plus, rate 3 oz / k, spray rate 2gal/k
cool season turf rye+kbg

used surfactant only, no sticker(i usualy use sticker with q4 but ran out)

the area has been well irrigated, dry when sprayed, watered in at about 20hrs
after spray

i will admit ideal conditions, certainly not the norm

grassman177
08-09-2011, 11:06 PM
i have some regular q4 leftover that i had spiked with drive 75 last time i mixed it to get the full rate of quinclorac. it was not full strength like the q4plus is in case some of you did not know that.

ihave some drive xlr8 i could spike it with i guess, have to do some math.