PDA

View Full Version : Shirt Colors & Summer Heat

DVS Hardscaper
08-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I see companies with dark blue tee shirts out working.

I see companies with brown company shirts out working!

I've seen dark green company shirts our working!

When I see this I always think "yep, the owner just HAD to use those colors, never thinking about the blazing sun beating down on them".

How bout you guys, did you account for the blazing summer's sun when selecting you company shirt colors?

pieperlc
08-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes, definitely. I went red. Dark enough not to show every speck of dirt and light enough not to absorb the sun's heat. How 'bout you D?

scagrider22
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM

When I see this I always think "yep, the owner just HAD to use those colors, never thinking about the blazing sun beating down on them".

How bout you guys, did you account for the blazing summer's sun when selecting you company shirt colors?

Yes we did! We have always had red shirts but this summer I bought some creme colored ones and they actually looked good to my suprise and they do seem to be cooler but still easy to get clean.

DVS Hardscaper
08-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, definitely. I went red. Dark enough not to show every speck of dirt and light enough not to absorb the sun's heat. How 'bout you D?

Of course. Our shirts have always been one color. Called "natural", which is a very very very light tan.

Also, it's important the people that do the screen printing know how to screen print. You don't want a heavy screen sticking to your back when your work. There is actually a term for this in the shirt printing industry, but I forget what they call it.

I've had people over the years give me t-shirts, only to get thrown away because I couldnt stand the screening pressing against my skin in the sun/heat.

SDLandscapes VT
08-08-2011, 10:20 PM
we have "california blue" does well in the sun and hiding dirt

xclusive
08-08-2011, 10:31 PM
We use oxford in the warmer months and navy or black when it get cooler out.

Bru75
08-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Light yellow here.
Suppliers don't seem to get it. My pond supply guy gave me shirts that are dark green heavy fabric.
Have any of you been given the BLACK EP Henry hats? Yeah, I'm not gonna wear that in summer.

Karmascapes
08-09-2011, 02:14 AM
I come from a background in athletics and the military and have thought about using under armour shirts. I have some that are not printed and wear them occasionally here on the extreme heat days, lately its been everyday. UA has a lot of choices even some collared ones. Only thing I find is after a while they seem to retain you smell.
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
08-09-2011, 05:45 AM
on really hot days... long sleeve white. average 80's short sleeve white

long sleeve's keeps the sun off, and helps you to stay cool.

KrayzKajun
08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
All my new shirts are safety green. Long sleeve for grass cutting days. Short sleeve for everything else. Stay cool and are holding up nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
08-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Sure, color is important, but really I think it's the type of shirt that makes the difference too.

I generally wear true Royal shirts. (no purple). They fade out just enough to achieve the color I'm looking for in my shirts and still look acceptable.

The key is for T-shirts is to get the 50/50 poly/cotton blend shirts. They clean up good, wick away some moisture, strong, a just a bit lighter than a cotton T. Too bad nobody really makes a 50/50 sleeveless shirt as I'd be all over them in a heartbeat.

SVA_Concrete
08-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Sure, color is important, but really I think it's the type of shirt that makes the difference too.

I generally wear true Royal shirts. (no purple). They fade out just enough to achieve the color I'm looking for in my shirts and still look acceptable.

The key is for T-shirts is to get the 50/50 poly/cotton blend shirts. They clean up good, wick away some moisture, strong, a just a bit lighter than a cotton T. Too bad nobody really makes a 50/50 sleeveless shirt as I'd be all over them in a heartbeat.

In my humble opinion, sleeveless shirts are tacky. And really, do you stay that much cooler with out a 6 inch sleeve? I will not let my guys wear sleeveless shirts, or shorts for that matter. We are contractors...not life guards.

Long sleeve cotton shirts are where its at for a hot day. keep the sweat close to your skin.

White Gardens
08-09-2011, 06:25 PM
In my humble opinion, sleeveless shirts are tacky. And really, do you stay that much cooler with out a 6 inch sleeve? I will not let my guys wear sleeveless shirts, or shorts for that matter. We are contractors...not life guards.

Long sleeve cotton shirts are where its at for a hot day. keep the sweat close to your skin.

I can agree with the tackiness of sleeveless shirts.

It's just with me, even with long sleeve shirts, I just sweat way too much and all my cloths just get soaked. If I wore long-sleeve shirts to try and stay cool, I would just feel like a wet rag all day long even if they were full synthetic shirts.

So, even if it's tacky, sleeve-less shirts to keep as much moisture moving off me as possible without restricting my movements. When it's really bad, I bust out the nylon basketball shorts, and full nylon un-printed shirts such as the Under Armor shirts.

As soon as the humidity drops though (such as today when it was low humidity and 88*) the regular 50/50 T shirts go back on.

shovelracer
08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
We had dark green a few years back. We switched over to safety green. Then went to gray. They are all the same type of shirt. The green feels the coolest and the gray is the hottest. The safety green is good, but the shirts do not last more than a few days. Now mine come clean, but with employees using cheap detergent, not presoaking, and single cycle washing my employees do not have the same luck. We still have new of each and they mostly ask for the dark green. I am looking into sport shirts for next year. The polos we got this year are rediculously hot.

DVS Hardscaper
08-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I have company tank tops, and I do wear them on the job. I can do this because this Contractor is told he looks good in anything sleeveless :)

OutdoorCreations
08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Safety green and orange for us in the summer and black in the winter.

coopmaster
08-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Solo guy here. Generally wear whatever is clean. Grey is my most used color.

White Gardens
08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I have company tank tops, and I do wear them on the job. I can do this because this Contractor is told he looks good in anything sleeveless :)

Oh man, that's a 90's throwback there. Do you wear the tank tucked into your skin tight acid wash jean shorts, rolled up of course.

Bru75
08-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Oh man, that's a 90's throwback there. Do you wear the tank tucked into your skin tight acid wash jean shorts, rolled up of course.

He probably cuts them off to show his abs, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
08-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Ours are grey, exact same color as stone dust.

custom patios
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM

I wear black. year round. I dont know, its gets so damn hot outside I dont think wearing a white shirt is going to cool me off.
Besides, my black shirts look cool.:cool2:

DVS Hardscaper
08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

It coincides with my Richard Simmons style shorts!!

DVS Hardscaper
08-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I wear black. year round. I dont know, its gets so damn hot outside I dont think wearing a white shirt is going to cool me off.
Besides, my black shirts look cool.:cool2:

I've had some hispanics work in black shirts and not be bothered at all by it!

White Gardens
08-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Oh man, that's a 90's throwback there DVS. Do you wear the tank tucked into your skin tight acid wash jean shorts, rolled up of course.

Posted via Mobile Device

Ha! Along with a mullet and handkerchief on his head.

Bru75
08-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Ha! Along with a mullet and handkerchief on his head.

And a Magnum P.I. mustache.

Bru75
08-10-2011, 01:06 AM
It coincides with my Richard Simmons style shorts!!

You should film exercise videos, "Sweatin' With Hardscapes". Whoo!

PatriotLandscape
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I buy them they whatever color I want!

And yes we wear blue because it's what I want!
Posted via Mobile Device

custom patios
08-10-2011, 07:13 PM
fers in da series of "sweetin wit hardcapes" is...
da cutsaw shuffle.

DVS Hardscaper
08-10-2011, 07:24 PM
fers in da series of "sweetin wit hardcapes" is...
da cutsaw shuffle.

I had to take a double-take, that looks just like me!

That pic is too funny!

custom patios
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM
no no, thats me in my cool black shirt