PDA

View Full Version : Walker questions

Shawn
10-28-2002, 11:56 AM
Walker Guys,
I am currently outfitting my trailer with accessories and want to make sure I will be able to fit a Walker 48" mower on it when I purchase it in the near future. I have a 5x10 trailer with a trimmer trap rack on the side and I have a truck tool box that I am going to mount on the front that will take up approximately 22-24 inches essentially making it an 5x8 tailer (tool box will sit on the floor of the trailer). My blower mount and spare tire mount sit on the outside of the trailer so I only need room for my future Walker and my Toro 21". With the Walker deck flipped up, will I be able to fit both mowers on my trailer? Will I need to back the Walker in or pull it straight on? Please describe how I can make this work. I would like to keep the tool box at the front but I could mount it differently.

Thanks,
Shawn

Green Pastures
10-28-2002, 12:55 PM
Not to sure what you mean.

The Walker should not be driven on or off trailers with the deck folded up though, and it should not be transported with the deck up UNLESS the deck is secured with bungee cords or similar. The reason is the deck will flop around as you go over bumps and ruin the deck pins.

I would check the overall length of my Walker with the deck folded but it's pouring down rain right now. I'll get back to ya unless someone else chimes in here.

Will the tool box fit in front of the front rail and the trailer jack?

Scott

musselman
10-28-2002, 01:32 PM
mount your tool box up in the air so that you can drive the walker deck underneath it . you would be better off if you dint have to mess with the deck at every stop and as Green Pastures said you could do some damage to the deck pins.

captdevo
10-28-2002, 01:50 PM
5x10 is gonna be tight with any mower, i'd look for a 6.5' x 12 or 14' and back the walker on, mount the tool box higher over the rails up front

LB Landscaping
10-28-2002, 06:27 PM
I've got a 6 1/2 by 12 big tex and I fit my Walker (with the deck down) 20 HP 48 inch deck and the 9.5 catcher along with my 21" and a 33" with room to spare. I could fit another mower on easy if needed and if I put the deck up it could hold another one. I have a rack set up on the front of the trailer for my blower, gas cans and trimmers. I am looking for a box to put on the tounge to store my tools, they are currently behind the seat in my truck. Like Green Pastures said make sure you tie things down to avoid damage. Things really bounce around back there.

Shawn
10-29-2002, 01:09 AM
I can't mount a tool box on the tongue of the trailer because I have a support brace in the way. I can raise the tool box a couple of feet at the front. If I ride with the deck down, will I still need to tie it down? I see trailers all the time around here and it seems like none of them tie down their walkers. Also, it seems that they also back their walkers on the trailer. Is this something that I should plan for?

I bought the smaller trailer because my 7x16 will not fit in my basement. Loading and unloading became a hasle. I knew that when I got the walker that it would fit on the 5x10 even with the deck down and with my toro 21" riding. I do not plan on needing much more. I did not expect the walker having problems though, riding with the deck up so your heads up on the tool box is a big help. This will keep me from having to re-mount it next year.

Thanks for your help.
Shawn

walker-talker
10-29-2002, 09:12 AM
I have never tied my Walker down, nor have I seen anyone else do this. I personally back my on and most that I have seen do the same. I don't really think it matters. There was a thread not long ago on specifically on how people load their Z's on their trailers. One of my winter projects is to fix my new trailer up. I will be showing before and after pictures when I am finished.

MATT

cantoo
10-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Open trailers you will have to back the Walker on or you will wreck the bin flap from the wind.

mowngrow
10-29-2002, 10:47 PM
what ever you do please back the walker on. by driving it on you can damage not only the bin flap(wear out the springs) you can also damage the grass chute underneath the mower. i would not reccomend traveling with the deck up because of the vibrations that the trailer will have. i run a 5 x 12 open and i fit a toro 44inch and my walker mt26efi w/ 48" and 9.5 bushel hopper by backing them both on all my racks are on the side

Green Pastures
10-29-2002, 11:01 PM
Cantoo is right, I transported my Walker home from buying it on my open trailer and noticed the bin flap, flapping in the wind. I got out and taped it down.

When I mentioned tying down the Walker for transportation, I was only speaking of IF you transport it with the deck folded up. Just try it sometime, fold up and latch your deck. Then just simply grab the deck and shake it around some, imagine what would happen to the deck after a week of that, bouncing around on the back of a trailer, hitting potholes etc.

Read your manual, page 36 and I quote:

"To avoid potential deck and or tractor damage while using the tilt up deck, the following recommendations are offered:

Do not move the tractor with the deck in the tilted up position since both roller wheels (on the back of the deck) and the GHS diccharge chute may be damaged by moving the tractor. The tilt up configuration should only be used when the tractor is parked.

When transporting a tractor with the deck in the tilt up position (on a truck or a trailer) the deck should be secured to the vehicle with a strap or rope (stop verticle movement). This will prevent the deck from bouncing on the rear roller wheels (causing breakage). This will also prevent the deck from unhooking from the tractor and falling, potentially causing damage to the deck or tractor. Damage to other items parked in front of the deck may also occur."

Seems pretty clear to me. It pays to read over all your manuals for every peice of equipment.

Scott

WLC
10-30-2002, 02:47 AM
Back it on for the sake of keeping the hopper dust flap, and yes TIE DOWN THE DECK! the counter sprung deck is a great feature to reduce scalping although it will slam/bounce like TIGGER while in transport and not tied down. Don't believe me, roll down your window and drive with your rig in tow.....give it time, hear that..... good bye caster/wheel bearings and whatever else signs off over time.

" The wonderful thing about TIGGERS their tails are made out of springs they're bouncy, bouncy.........:blob3:

Man it is late...:dizzy:

WLC
10-30-2002, 03:20 AM
Pic of the above mentioned post........... not enough KB to make the text ledgible.