PDA

View Full Version : blade sharpener

burninbill
10-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Looking for a faster way to sharpen those damn blades!!!!! Have any of you found the best way. We are using a hand grinder at the moment and do not care for it at all.

Thanks,
burninbill:alien:

Jusmowin
10-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Try a bench top grinder(2 wheels-half hp motor) Ive been sharping my blades for years like this and it seems to work for me . You can find them at most auto or hardware stores for under $60.00. Good luck

Gravely_Man
10-28-2002, 01:35 PM
I never thought I would say this but… try the search feature. There have been a lot of discussions on blade sharpeners. It just depends on who much money you want to spend and what you want the end result to look like (sharp blades that is).

Gravely_Man

Premo Services
10-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
I never thought I would say this but… try the search feature. There have been a lot of discussions on blade sharpeners. It just depends on who much money you want to spend and what you want the end result to look like (sharp blades that is).

Gravely_Man

I agree, do a search. :( I use a hand grinder also, this will be the last season that I do it this way. I am getting a dedicated blade grinder for next year.:D :cool: :)

bruces
10-28-2002, 04:09 PM
I've got a Magnamatic and it is great. Took a little bit to get used to, but know it is quick to sharpen blades.

kppurn
10-28-2002, 04:58 PM
I have the RBG Pro 218 model. I was using a bench grinder before and found it was very difficult to maintain a consistent bevel. With the bench grinder, my blades would get dull much faster too.
RBG, Magna-Matic, and Brandleins are some manufacturers to check out.

odin
10-28-2002, 04:59 PM
Magna matic all the way best on the market easy to use.

Take a look on their forum and their web site first class piece of machinery

cfosceola
10-31-2002, 07:04 AM
I use my handy, danndy roto-zip with a dremel wheel on it. works awesome.

swonkeg
10-31-2002, 09:52 AM
I have the magna matic and wonder why I didn't buy one sooner. I sharpened 12 scag 18 inch blades Sunday in under 15 minutes. I used to dread (hate) to sharpen blades (30-45 minutes) now its so easy and quick.

deason
10-31-2002, 01:14 PM
I use 4 inch grinders. When I get through, they are razor sharp. Once you get it down, it takes about 30 sec per side of blade.

dr grass
10-31-2002, 08:50 PM
use a R.B.G. 1 horse grinder. it works great and looks professional. next, balance your blade with a balancer. if you dont have one available, use a screwdriver clamped down in a vice. works pretty good.

shep :blush:

dlomb72
10-31-2002, 09:01 PM
i bought a commercial blade sharpener offered by lesco and it was the best three hundred bucks i have ever spent. I know that it sounds a little steep but the edge on the blades has never been so uniform and sharp. foley-belsaw is the maker for lesco.

ProMo
11-01-2002, 08:53 AM
my lesco grinder is made by neery i wish the thing would die so i can get a magnamatic mine takes to long im going to try a different wheel on it to see if that helps this thing is 10 years old dont think it will die for at least another 10 years:confused:

TLS
11-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Promo,

The best thing I ever did to my NEARY grinder was SELL it!!! Felt a little guilty, but hey, NEARY should be the person feeling GUILTY! That grinder was hands down the WORST investment I ever made. Paid around 3 bills for it new from Greenline, and sold it for 2 bills to some local old guy. I then got smart and bought a Brandlein Fireball! Whatever brand you get make sure the motor isn't a 1725 RPM motor. I could hand file quicker! All Brandliens' are 3450 RPM, and my 1hp 300c is a 3450 with a 10" stone. I'm above the surface feet/min that Magnamatic touts as theirs being the highest.

Magna-Matic or Brandlein, the way to go. The RGB's are OK, but the motor speed, bevel adjustment, and throat capacity aren't there.

wxmn6
11-01-2002, 11:07 PM
I have a Fireball JR X, 1HP blade sharpener and I am very satisfied with it. It sharpens the blade nicely and quickly. I am glad that I got one of this unit.

Just be sure to wear a good mask and goggle when sharpening with any grinder. Those tiny metal particles (dust) get thrown over all the place. Not a good thing to breath with. I am going to get a vaccum port and put it right behind the grinder so that way it will suck the metal particles and keep the work bench clean.

Mark
11-02-2002, 12:50 AM
Ive had very good luck with the RBG-218 Pro, Eric Elm is the one who gave me this advice and its been a great grinder,going on its thrid season with no problems....Marks Mowing Service