PDA

View Full Version : 1st time home owner needs help please

petroskie
08-10-2011, 01:21 AM
like the title states Im 23 and just bought my first home and I cant afford a complete sprinkler system quotes have been 3k-5k. I just want to do a simple 100ft PVC pipe with 4 or 5 rain bird pop up sprinklers of sort. The yard wrapes around from the front to the side and i wanna bury the pvc under the bark. after reading on the internet about GPM and PSI corrisponding with head preasure im all kinds of confused. can anybody help and i understand if yall dont wanna give away your skills for free, thanks in advance

AI Inc
08-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Save up till ya can have a real one put in.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Ditto You'd be better with a hose timer and hoses until you can afford to bite the bullet.

DanaMac
08-10-2011, 08:12 AM
What you are asking, is for professionals in the industry that do this for a living, to give you advice on how to install a hack sprinkler system that will be substandard, inefficient, tacky, not meeting building codes, and just plain ol' cheap. You won't get a lot of help from us. Sorry.

blk90s13
08-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Even if you wanted to install it right, you came to the wrong place.

Sprinkus
08-10-2011, 08:21 AM
I second the hose timer and hoses route. Heck, I've got that in my backyard right now.

DanaMac
08-10-2011, 08:25 AM
I second the hose timer and hoses route. Heck, I've got that in my backyard right now.

So do I.
I have two 5004s on stands that are hooked up to hoses. I put water when I want, and put them away for the winter. Sprinkler systems are too expensive and troublesome. :)
I also have native grass and live in the forest though.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2011, 08:38 AM
piker :hammerhead:

petroskie
08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
What you are asking, is for professionals in the industry that do this for a living, to give you advice on how to install a hack sprinkler system that will be substandard, inefficient, tacky, not meeting building codes, and just plain ol' cheap. You won't get a lot of help from us. Sorry.

thats why I said in my intro if yall didnt want to help i would understand and you shouldnt have wasted ur time with the responce, thanks for your input though.

DanaMac
08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm not knocking you for trying, just letting you know what you'll get from us here.

petroskie
08-10-2011, 10:55 AM
No this is not a for ever set up I have a hose set up and 2 click click click sprinklers in the back yard and the 2 work great but if i try to add a 3rd i loose all pressure. What i was trying to understand was if i used like a 1/2inch pipe or hose could i add more sprinklers, or are the 5/8 hose ok i just need different heads like the rain bird ones maybe cause they use less pressure than the click click click ones? would have gotten a system but I opted for central A/C instead and it was the same price

AI Inc
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
would have gotten a system but I opted for central A/C instead and it was the same price

" a happy wife makes for a happy life"

Kiril
08-10-2011, 10:58 AM
like the title states Im 23 and just bought my first home and I cant afford a complete sprinkler system quotes have been 3k-5k. I just want to do a simple 100ft PVC pipe with 4 or 5 rain bird pop up sprinklers of sort. The yard wrapes around from the front to the side and i wanna bury the pvc under the bark. after reading on the internet about GPM and PSI corrisponding with head preasure im all kinds of confused. can anybody help and i understand if yall dont wanna give away your skills for free, thanks in advance

Find someone who will do the system right, but in stages that you can afford.

petroskie
08-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm not knocking you for trying, just letting you know what you'll get from us here.

I understand but Ive been a member here for a while mainly on the lawncare section and Ive never had a rejected question and i have always helped others who post questions cause thats why were all here to help one another when we need it.

Mike Leary
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
i have always helped others who post questions cause thats why were all here to help one another when we need it.

You've hit the wrong forum, this is the tongue-in-cheek section. :rolleyes::dizzy:

txirrigation
08-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Check the GPM requirements of the nozzles you are using and keep it under about 5.

There are a lot of factors to how much water you can get through a 1/2 in line, or a 5/8.

Generally speaking you can get 3-6 gpm from a hose bib.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2011, 01:13 PM
"can't water all at once" is why you get a controller to run the watering in sections - you can do this with hose-end products now.

http://www.betterimprovement.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dual-hose-timer.jpg

WalkGood
08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
No this is not a for ever set up I have a hose set up and 2 click click click sprinklers in the back yard and the 2 work great but if i try to add a 3rd i loose all pressure.

Change those click click (impulse/impact ?) which have large orifices (holes) that the water shoots out of, to rotary heads with smaller nozzles. You'll get 3 maybe 4 rotary heads with smaller nozzles on a hose bibb setup. Depends on how much water your hose bibb can supply at one time.

You can buy the plastic impact heads w/stake very cheap at a big box store. Basically you just want the stakes that attach to garden hoses. Get a cheapie hose timer.

hoskm01
08-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Just get MP3000's on 2" pop-up heads married to a 1" pvc line. If you choose to put it on top of the ground, so be it, but you wont get anyone here to tell you that is a good idea. For just starting out, putting down some water and getting some turf established is better than not. Go forth and do it form the hose-bib, you'll be fine.

AI Inc
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
or , buy a system . Throw it on a credit card , hawk it, its the American way.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah, stimulate the economy a little. payup

petroskie
08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
or , buy a system . Throw it on a credit card , hawk it, its the American way.

Maybe Ill ask obama for a stimulus package!

petroskie
08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Change those click click (impulse/impact ?) which have large orifices (holes) that the water shoots out of, to rotary heads with smaller nozzles. You'll get 3 maybe 4 rotary heads with smaller nozzles on a hose bibb setup. Depends on how much water your hose bibb can supply at one time.

You can buy the plastic impact heads w/stake very cheap at a big box store. Basically you just want the stakes that attach to garden hoses. Get a cheapie hose timer.

Thats what i have now a 5/8 hose from the hose bib to the $1.99 impact, then another 5/8 hose that goes about 10ft to the next cheapy impact, but i tried to add a 3rd and lost so much pressure they wouldnt even rotate. thus i was thinking the kind you put in the gound and make a pvc setup for it

irritation
08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Do you even need to water in Idaho? I didn't think it got warm enough.

petroskie
08-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Just get MP3000's on 2" pop-up heads married to a 1" pvc line. If you choose to put it on top of the ground, so be it, but you wont get anyone here to tell you that is a good idea. For just starting out, putting down some water and getting some turf established is better than not. Go forth and do it form the hose-bib, you'll be fine.

nope not looking for any atta boys here just somthing that will get water on the ground and cover the front yard. thats were i get confused is line size and proper heads to use, and am I limited to how long a line i can have since my goal is 4 or 5 heads on a 100ft straight. Id pay for just this answear since i know its an art you all have fine tuned but i appreciate the help, i had 5 sprinkler companies give me quotes and they were all rude and unhelpful so thats why i turned here

petroskie
08-10-2011, 05:20 PM
well i bought a forclosed home and they yard didnt get watered for a year, i started watering the back and the grass came back so im working the front now. no its been in the 70s for the longest time now were in the 80s and its soooo nice

irritation
08-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Thats what i have now a 5/8 hose from the hose bib to the $1.99 impact, then another 5/8 hose that goes about 10ft to the next cheapy impact, but i tried to add a 3rd and lost so much pressure they wouldnt even rotate

You need more hoses. Only run one or two heads on a hose. That's what the wye timer is for.

Wet_Boots
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Just run more hoses from the house to your sprinklers. One hose per sprinkler, if need be.

WalkGood
08-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Thats what i have now a 5/8 hose from the hose bib to the $1.99 impact, then another 5/8 hose that goes about 10ft to the next cheapy impact, but i tried to add a 3rd and lost so much pressure they wouldnt even rotate. thus i was thinking the kind you put in the gound and make a pvc setup for it

Go back and re-read my post to you, the one you QUOTED from me. Use the "spike" that those clicky clicks are mounted on and screwed into. Unscrew the impact head from the base. Screw in a cheapie small nozzled rotary head from the big box store. Or order online from sprinkler warehouse. You will need a 1/2" to 3/4" male threaded adapter to connect the 3/4" rotary head to the 1/2" hose spike base. Keep the hoses for portability.

petroskie
08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Go back and re-read my post to you, the one you QUOTED from me. Use the "spike" that those clicky clicks are mounted on and screwed into. Unscrew the impact head from the base. Screw in a cheapie small nozzled rotary head from the big box store. Or order online from sprinkler warehouse. You will need a 1/2" to 3/4" male threaded adapter to connect the 3/4" rotary head to the 1/2" hose spike base. Keep the hoses for portability.

O ok I got ya i will pick some up, my local ACE harware has rain bird sprinklers so i will go down and pick some up. thanks for the help you should come over this way for next summer install a system for me

Mdirrigation
08-10-2011, 08:59 PM
you just bought the house , congradulations , now before you spend money on a luxury
(sprinkler system) bank a minimum of 6 months bills , preferably 12 months . Wait till you can afford a good system . Remember ......... there is nothing more permant than something done temporary. After 2 estimates , you probably should have cancled the rest if 2 prices were higher than you could afford that tells you something .

Mike Leary
08-10-2011, 10:52 PM
you just bought the house , congradulations , now before you spend money on a luxury
(sprinkler system) bank a minimum of 6 months bills , preferably 12 months . Wait till you can afford a good system . Remember ......... there is nothing more permant than something done temporary. After 2 estimates , you probably should have cancled the rest if 2 prices were higher than you could afford that tells you something .

::::Prints that comment and studies it through the night::::::rolleyes:

petroskie
08-11-2011, 12:21 AM

thanks its an amazing house 2,100sqft on the golf course I was very lucky. My thing is yes its kinda spendy but i like to know who has what to offer, I dont settle on the cheapist bid but how they present them selves, equipment, referances, ect, ect. I just want it done right the first time and when I call with a problem I want them to come fix it

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-11-2011, 01:06 AM
I know good contractors are like spell check. Some just leave a bunch of misspelled words. Other use tools like spell check and get it perfect.

hoskm01
08-11-2011, 10:48 AM
I know good contractors are like spell check. Some just leave a bunch of misspelled words. Other use tools like spell check and get it perfect.
Though some work from a foreign dictionary (present company excluded)

1idejim
08-11-2011, 02:35 PM
thanks its an amazing house 2,100sqft on the golf course I was very lucky. My thing is yes its kinda spendy but i like to know who has what to offer, I dont settle on the cheapist bid but how they present them selves, equipment, referances, ect, ect. I just want it done right the first time and when I call with a problem I want them to come fix it

you could build an inground pool in the backyard and then only half to worry about the front.

serious, get a plan, do what you have to do till you get the money for an install.

without a plan, you're sunk. take the flow and pressure measurements, plot the lot and draw to scale. that's what everyone else will do. good luck with the home.