PDA

View Full Version : Villa and Son

Landscape Poet
08-10-2011, 08:31 AM
I am shocked that nobody has brought this up here yet, but it is raining like hell and I am out for a little while so I thought I would see what you guys thought. Villa and son is preparing itself for sale.
With VC gobbling up nanak's landscape ....can they possibly take on Villa and Son too?

http://www.turfmagazine.com/blog-331.aspx

Would this be a good thing for the industry? I ask because they could control so much of the market they should be more effecient enough to offer steep discount rates if they want...but if they are that big...they will control enough of the work that they could potentially raise rates in the commercial world because they would control much of the market. Don't know but it would be interesting, your guys thoghts.

By the way - any insiders know what color VC is going to use. I have seen many of their trucks with the VC on them still painted in the blue. I figure they will keep their traditional red but who knows. Either way if they take on Villa and Son too, that is going to be a sea of red or a sea of blue!

Ric
08-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Mickey

I am sure VC got a great deal because I had heard Villa was going to file bankruptcy but keep the Tree farms which is a separate Corporation.

But this also goes back to My thread about buy outs and how the larger the take over the more problems. Lower VC management is in for one heck of a lot of ass chewing meeting.

fl-landscapes
08-10-2011, 01:15 PM
this is how they became the biggest landscape company in the country

South Florida Lawns
08-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Hell yeah I may just throw in the towel and go work for VC the way things are going around here.

AintNoFun
08-10-2011, 07:58 PM
just goes to show the bigger they are the harder they fall... i wonder if the owners sucked whatever they can out of the company anticipating a bankruptcy?

Landscape Poet
08-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I guess the real question is who is going to buy them (Villa)? The reason that Villa claims they are selling is the economy crushed them....would you buy someone out in this market in the current conditions?

Landscape Poet
08-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Hell yeah I may just throw in the towel and go work for VC the way things are going around here.

You know Spanish well enough?

South Florida Lawns
08-16-2011, 11:10 PM
You know Spanish well enough?

I know Spanglish!

Landscape Poet
08-24-2011, 06:58 PM
http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/ll-0817-Vila-Son-close-doors.aspx?List_id=5

jsslawncare
08-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm guessing all the trucks will be relettered and all new t-shirts for the employee's. New name same owner.

Landscape Poet
08-25-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm guessing all the trucks will be relettered and all new t-shirts for the employee's. New name same owner.

Unless there is a construction boom around the corner I do not think so. Many people here complain about how many lawn trailers there are for residential business on every corner. If you ask me the commercial market is dog eat dog prices and of course there is very little loyalty with the commercial customers.

Ric
08-25-2011, 11:18 AM

Below is a C & P of a E mail I got from a friend who work for the County Public Works. They of course issue Mowing contracts for the county etc. I have XXXed out Names etc. BTW I don't do any County work so there are no conflict of interests here just friendship & a great deal of respect for this gentleman. Plus this guy is straight up and there is no way he would do anything illegal of immoral. The ROW Mowing contract I have asked about is one I have followed for years after seeing a medium 6 figure bid price. However after doing the math the per thousand Sq Ft price is like $ 0.25.

I have posted about this same Bid before and have already talked about how the one new bidder under the bid the former Contractors Costs by 15%. So I guess this is an update.

Thanks for the wick applicator info. The Specialty Mowing contract went back out for bids after the last vendor forfeited it in April and XXXXer Services, the low bidder, deemed qualified and responsive, began July 1. In that meanwhile, XXXXan’s Lawn Care took care of it for the county. We don’t understand, either, how the work continues to increase, but bids get lower & lower. Contractors/people are desperate for cash flow, of course, in these times & as you know.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Well when you walk away from 40 some odd mill a year, you must have big problems. I know they lost alot of work on the 408 and the like. The new contractor was doing the installs and maint. They brought in the crap of the crap in plants, sod, pine starw, palms. So you gotta figure they cut villa and sons throat. And it's a safe bet V&S was already cutting their own throat. And I've heard the new contractor already closed up. IRC OR IRL or some thing. Them shutting down is just word of mouth rumor though. But they aint out there no more. Thats what happens when you bid jos way bigger than you should be, for way less than you should be. They take out big loans to grow. Then cash flow catches up to. I dont want to get ig just to say I'm big. I want money. If that aint possible I'll stay small

Ric
08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Well when you walk away from 40 some odd mill a year, you must have big problems. I know they lost alot of work on the 408 and the like. The new contractor was doing the installs and maint. They brought in the crap of the crap in plants, sod, pine starw, palms. So you gotta figure they cut villa and sons throat. And it's a safe bet V&S was already cutting their own throat. And I've heard the new contractor already closed up. IRC OR IRL or some thing. Them shutting down is just word of mouth rumor though. But they aint out there no more. Thats what happens when you bid jos way bigger than you should be, for way less than you should be. They take out big loans to grow. Then cash flow catches up to. I dont want to get ig just to say I'm big. I want money. If that aint possible I'll stay small

Chuck

If Government started requiring PERFORMANCE BONDS a lot of that Throat cutting would stop. If contractors had to put up hard assets like their house as a Bond guarantee, I am sure Bid prices would change for the better. But then Government would be cutting their own throat by doing that.

easy-lift guy
08-29-2011, 09:30 AM
In this industry it is still to early to tell who will end up on top or have any sort of advantage over ones competion real or otherwise. Last time I checked it was still raining and material is still growing and requiring maintenance, although the building trade has almost come to a stop there is still work out there to be done. I say let the Big company's continue to slug it out. In the end it will come down to price/service. Big or small concern the bottom line is no one can Pimp themselfs better than themselfs. If you can deliver you will always have work. Let the big company's deal with all of the drama and stuff.
easy-lift guy.

Ric
08-29-2011, 09:55 AM
In this industry it is still to early to tell who will end up on top or have any sort of advantage over ones competion real or otherwise. Last time I checked it was still raining and material is still growing and requiring maintenance, although the building trade has almost come to a stop there is still work out there to be done. I say let the Big company's continue to slug it out. In the end it will come down to price/service. Big or small concern the bottom line is no one can Pimp themselfs better than themselfs. If you can deliver you will always have work. Let the big company's deal with all of the drama and stuff.
easy-lift guy.

Easy

I don't think the smaller professional Maintenance guys are hurting in our area's present economy. They have a customer base and their is still is a demand for quality work. Your Market area is actual HUGE and has a higher disposable income compared to my area south of you. But if I ever had any hopes of expanding into your area the Tree Hugger Laws and BS have kept me away so far. But it is a very big market I would like to tackle but have my reservations

While I have some smaller commercial customers and fined them very profitable, I try and stay Residential for the most part. Call it a comfort zone.

easy-lift guy
08-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Ric your comfort zone is more important than anything else. Once one steps outside of this zone things happen, mistakes can occure and problems are not to far behind.
The enviromental wacos and the like will to one degree or another be present most of the time, what is really a challenge is ones ability to retain customers with common sence and a degree of independence. These types of customers weather residential or commercial should be provide the best service possible. Any other customers present or future that may be sipping Kool Aid on the side should be written off since in my opinion they are well on their way to no where land.
elg

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Only work I've lost maint wise came a few years back when the market first tanked. I lost a good chunk of comercial work. Either they shut down or started farming it out to who ever beat up the price the most. At that time I only lost a handfull at best resi's. Almost all them were renters who lost their jobs. I now hardly do any rental's and am picky with the new ones I get. I also dont look for comercial work. But I'm pretty well back where I was now. Just tighter routes, better houses, and easier work. I hear there is no loyalty from clients. But I would say I got some dang loyals ones. We treat each other well, and it keeps the low ballers from even getting a thought. If I do lose one over a price, well good. I'd rather sit on my butt than beat my self over the head

Florida Gardener
08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Only work I've lost maint wise came a few years back when the market first tanked. I lost a good chunk of comercial work. Either they shut down or started farming it out to who ever beat up the price the most. At that time I only lost a handfull at best resi's. Almost all them were renters who lost their jobs. I now hardly do any rental's and am picky with the new ones I get. I also dont look for comercial work. But I'm pretty well back where I was now. Just tighter routes, better houses, and easier work. I hear there is no loyalty from clients. But I would say I got some dang loyals ones. We treat each other well, and it keeps the low ballers from even getting a thought. If I do lose one over a price, well good. I'd rather sit on my butt than beat my self over the head

Same here. I find resi to be the most loyal and they will pay for quality.
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
09-18-2011, 07:34 PM
are they back in business? saw them doing big job this week
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
09-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I see VC all the time around here. Bright red trucks with yellow lettering, red open trailers. One of their short buses fills up at the same Racetrac I do. All imported labor and a 400lb white guy driving. Evertything is new so I am assuming they junked all of Nanaks crap.
Posted via Mobile Device

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-18-2011, 11:34 PM
I see VC all the time around here. Bright red trucks with yellow lettering, red open trailers. One of their short buses fills up at the same Racetrac I do. All imported labor and a 400lb white guy driving. Evertything is new so I am assuming they junked all of Nanaks crap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you talking about Valley Crest or Villa and Sons?

Patriot Services
09-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Valley Crest. They bought out Nanaks and Raymow here in Tampa. Now I don't see Villa anymore either.
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
I was talking about villa and son
Posted via Mobile Device

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
09-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Villa and Son went bankrupt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Villa and Son went bankrupt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Correct and their Tampa market was taken over by VC. They are now the biggest player in Tampa with nobody else even close.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
09-19-2011, 01:07 PM
are they back in business? saw them doing big job this week
Posted via Mobile Device

Royal

It is my understanding Villa & Son kept their tree nursery. They could be doing work as the Nursery and not the bankrupt maintenance side of the Business. They are from the Greater Miami area and I expect that is where they will start over again. Of Course someone could have bought their equipment and be using it on there own job without repainting the name.

RoyalTree
09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
what I saw working on a municipal job on miami beach was villa and son. I guess maybee the nursery side is now doing sprinkler work when the other part cant do it. I also saw one of their lawn trucks on the highway. I think something fishy is going on. Just got a notice for their liquidation auction next month.

AintNoFun
09-20-2011, 09:51 PM
looks like someones selling stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Other-Pickups-NO-RESERVE-2006-FORD-F450-DIESEL-UTILTY-SERVICE-MECHANICS-TRUCK-/300600469984?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45fd2f29e0

Ric
09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
looks like someones selling stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Other-Pickups-NO-RESERVE-2006-FORD-F450-DIESEL-UTILTY-SERVICE-MECHANICS-TRUCK-/300600469984?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45fd2f29e0

Aint

Note the truck is listed as a DEALER selling it. It sure looks like Villa Truck so who knows what the story is.

If you are looking for equipment, Get your ducks in a row and get ready to bid at these auctions. These are CASH sales so he who Has, Gets the bargains. But watch because I have seen things sell for more than retail at auctions.

hilde123
09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
I am working with one of Villa & Sons Sureties (bonding company) IFIC on another project and I am pretty sure the entire company is bankrupt. IFIC indicated they are taking a very large loss on getting Villa & Sons projects. I can tell you a company doesnt default on its bonds unless it is in real bad shap; the indeminity agreements the sureties have with almost all companies include personnel assets of the principals.

AintNoFun
09-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I am working with one of Villa & Sons Sureties (bonding company) IFIC on another project and I am pretty sure the entire company is bankrupt. IFIC indicated they are taking a very large loss on getting Villa & Sons projects. I can tell you a company doesnt default on its bonds unless it is in real bad shap; the indeminity agreements the sureties have with almost all companies include personnel assets of the principals.

is it going to profitable for your or did the bonding company beat you down on it? im sure they'll be a mad dash by the bonding company to get some assest from vila

hilde123
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Usually surety takeover work is pretty porfitable, but from what I have seen of late that is no longer the case. I personnally am not involved with any of Villa Sons previous work. I just know of the issue from a project I am dealing with (I work for a general contractor).

lawnboymiami
08-05-2012, 09:39 PM
villa & son is now Visualscape in miami.

Ric
08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
villa & son is now Visualscape in miami.

I don't think this should be a big surprise to people. You make a living the best way you know how and Villa knows landscape. Bankruptcy is designed for starting over and in this economy isn't uncommon.

It has been a year since I was in Homestead / Kendall area. The nursery business was showing the effects of the bad economy and half of them were closed. Our area has settled out in the fact we lost all our construction worker and we have a retiree service based economy. Those who have been in business here for 5 years or more are doing OK. Maybe we aren't setting the world on fire, but we are paying the bills.