PDA

View Full Version : Chlorinated sprinkler water after applying compost tea

mikesturf
08-10-2011, 10:35 AM
When making compost tea I declorinate the water and declorinate the water I add to my small 4 gallon sprayer prior to spraying it on my lawn. Is watering in the compost tea lawn application with city chlorinated water a factor to be concerned about?

ICT Bill
08-10-2011, 02:02 PM
When making compost tea I declorinate the water and declorinate the water I add to my small 4 gallon sprayer prior to spraying it on my lawn. Is watering in the compost tea lawn application with city chlorinated water a factor to be concerned about?

No, chlorine or chloramine is usually delivered at around 4 PPM, they are also oxidizers, as soon as they come in contact with any type of organic matter they do their oxidizer thing and are used up very quickly, it probably never gets into the soil

mikesturf
08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Let me try to be more clear, I was wondering if the chlorinated city water will kill microbes in the compost tea that I just applied. I am applying the tea in low volume and watering it in with city water.

ICT Bill
08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Let me try to be more clear, I was wondering if the chlorinated city water will kill microbes in the compost tea that I just applied. I am applying the tea in low volume and watering it in with city water.

It may have a minimal affect, so you are putting out 900,000 microbes per sq ft instead of 1,000,000 probably not a big deal

you could hook a siphon to your hose bib and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket with a light mix of humic acid or even tea and kill off the chlorine or chloramine before it ever gets out of the hose

mikesturf
08-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Thank you for your response, I feel better. I was worried about all the work might be going to waste.