PDA

View Full Version : If you had an employee show up with these would you....

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Fire them or give them a raise?

Cam.at.Heritage
08-10-2011, 05:01 PM
First Slap them in the face.... then point out to the rest of the guys how stupid Joes feet/shoes are.... then tell him to go home and come back with proper footwear.

Them probably go into the office and wonder why the F*** i get stuck with people like this

WalkGood
08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
If his job that day was to jump in a pond to retrieve or fix a pump setup, then OK. But if he was diggin holes, me thinks your Workers Comp rates just went up.

Dripit good
08-10-2011, 05:34 PM
That's what they make waders for.

You don't come to work without wearing boots.

Az Gardener
08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
I would confiscate their man card, then fire them. Unbelievable ;) and to think that person might be making decisions on your behalf... frightening.

DanaMac
08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Mmmm.... love my Chacos, Keen, and Salomons for working in irrigation. I RARELY wear boots. And yes I can use a shovel with each and every one of them. I want shoes that drain, I'm tired of stinky feet and shoes that stay wet all day long.

irritation
08-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Mmmm.... love my Chacos, Keen, and Salomons for working in irrigation. I RARELY wear boots. And yes I can use a shovel with each and every one of them. I want shoes that drain, I'm tired of stinky feet and shoes that stay wet all day long.

I'm sure your injury is unrelated but you could injure yourself working in those type of shoes. Foot, knee, hip, back etc. :confused:

Dripit good
08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
That's the great thing about your world Dana....you can do what you want.

Here that would be unprofessional and a huge safety violation.

Not saying you're not a pro.....

Mark Oomkes
08-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I have a pair for running, very comfy.

Not for work though.

DanaMac
08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm sure your injury is unrelated but you could injure yourself working in those type of shoes. Foot, knee, hip, back etc. :confused:

Knee injury was from long before using these. I could injure myself with any type of shoe or boot. Gotta pay attention to what your doing. I had an employee severely sprain his ankle on the job in 2002. Rolled the ankle on a jobsite, and had high top hiking boots on. Got nerve damage and to this day still has issues with that ankle. Safety gear is only as good as the idiot wearing it.

DanaMac
08-10-2011, 07:06 PM
That's the great thing about your world Dana....you can do what you want.

Being the boss has it's perks :) But my guys can wear these as well. If we installed systems, and dug all day everyday, we'd wear something appropriate. Since we only service/maintain/repair systems, it's not an issue. Our feet get wet more than we do digging. No jeans, and quick drying shorts as soon as it warms up. The right tool/clothing for the job.

WalkGood
08-10-2011, 07:58 PM
That's what they make waders for.

Six foot deep pond, waders make you an anchor!

WalkGood
08-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Mmmm.... love my Chacos, Keen, and Salomons for working in irrigation.

I'd wear these when it's warm/hot to do service work.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=227756&stc=1&d=1313012150

What kind of price range are they?

nepatsfan
08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
First Slap them in the face.... then point out to the rest of the guys how stupid Joes feet/shoes are.... then tell him to go home and come back with proper footwear.

Them probably go into the office and wonder why the F*** i get stuck with people like this

Are we related???!?:laugh:

irritation
08-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Since we only service/maintain/repair systems, it's not an issue.

I disagree, there are times during service that you need boots. I would have to reschedule so I could come back with the proper footwear.

I've tried waders for lake pumps and they don't work. You need a wet suit.

Dripit good
08-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Six foot deep pond, waders make you an anchor!

That's what they make row boats for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dripit good
08-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Being the boss has it's perks :) But my guys can wear these as well. If we installed systems, and dug all day everyday, we'd wear something appropriate. Since we only service/maintain/repair systems, it's not an issue. .

We mostly do service too. We do have a union job install going on.....long pants, safety glasses and hard hats. Tough when it's hot.

My boss can wear whatever he want's....I'm not the boss of him.

You'll feel like Superman in a pair of high top Rocky Bear Claws.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
08-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I disagree, there are times during service that you need boots. I would have to reschedule so I could come back with the proper footwear.

Why do you feel it's that difficult to dig in these? I've done it for years. Don't see how there is a problem. Bring a second pair of boots with you if you felt it was necessary. If I'm going to be doing hours of digging, I will wear boots. But if I am going to be doing hours of digging, I know it ahead of time. Or I am rescheduling, but not due to not having the right footwear.

irritation
08-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Never dug in them except helping my wife on weekends. I prefer dry, warm boots when I'm working

WalkGood
08-10-2011, 09:15 PM
That's what they make row boats for.
Posted via Mobile Device

You must have long arms.

S.O.Contracting
08-10-2011, 09:16 PM

The chacos probably have better support for your feet than alot of boots.Not many sandals get a seal from doctors. Only a handful of boots on that list. http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/RecommendedProducts/SealofAcceptance/Seal-Flip-Flops.aspx

And the keens can hold their own with any pair of tennis shoes out there. I agree with Dana though keep a pair of boots and socks in the truck so if you need to change into them.

irritation
08-10-2011, 09:29 PM
The chacos probably have better support for your feet than alot of boots.Not many sandals get a seal from doctors. Only a handful of boots on that list. http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/RecommendedProducts/SealofAcceptance/Seal-Flip-Flops.aspx

And the keens can hold their own with any pair of tennis shoes out there. I agree with Dana though keep a pair of boots and socks in the truck so if you need to change into them.

Good grief, are you a member of the AARP too.

Stuttering Stan
08-10-2011, 11:45 PM
I'd send him home and tell him to wear something more professional- company t-shirt (tucked in), khaki shorts/pants, belt, and boots (or sneakers with shorts only). Image is everything and I strongly believe in looking professional.

mitchgo
08-11-2011, 01:27 AM
I just wear tennis shoes and when I get into muddy jobs I switch to my muck boots.

My gf made me replace my old tennis shoes as I could stick my foot through them between the sole and top part the past few weeks

ARGOS
08-11-2011, 03:20 AM
I want to venture a guess that those are a spin off of "born to run". http://www.chrismcdougall.com/

Great book.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd send him home and tell him to wear something more professional- company t-shirt (tucked in), khaki shorts/pants, belt, and boots (or sneakers with shorts only). Image is everything and I strongly believe in looking professional.

Geez, what a drill Sargent, do you stand them at attention every morning? :rolleyes:

DanaMac
08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Sir!! Yes sir!!

1idejim
08-11-2011, 04:08 PM

proper attire is paramount

Dripit good
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I can't see your eye Jim.

bcg
08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I'd wear these when it's warm/hot to do service work.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=227756&stc=1&d=1313012150

What kind of price range are they?

Those are about $85.

I wear Keens every day from about April - November and keep a pair of tennis shoes in the van in case I need to do something where I'll be getting a lot of loose dirt in the sandals. The Keens are fine for digging, it's the dirt getting under my feet I can't stand.

I think I look plenty professional in a button up, quick dry company logo'ed shirt, khaki shorts and the almost $100 sandals. Nobody really expects someone that's going to be working in sprinklers, walking through wet grass in 95+ degree heat (it's topped out over 100 here 11 days in a row now) to be wearing steel toes. Honestly, I don't really think steel toes make sense for a repair tech and have a real hard time coming up with a situation where having them on would save your foot at a residential or small commercial service call.

Mark B
08-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I only wear a pair running shoes as well. But now I think I will go out and buy a pair of the keens.

But again irritation is a PT thing for me since I a sweet FT job.

sir, YES sir!!

AI Inc
08-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Those are about $85.

I wear Keens every day from about April - November and keep a pair of tennis shoes in the van in case I need to do something where I'll be getting a lot of loose dirt in the sandals. The Keens are fine for digging, it's the dirt getting under my feet I can't stand.

I think I look plenty professional in a button up, quick dry company logo'ed shirt, khaki shorts and the almost $100 sandals. Nobody really expects someone that's going to be working in sprinklers, walking through wet grass in 95+ degree heat (it's topped out over 100 here 11 days in a row now) to be wearing steel toes. Honestly, I don't really think steel toes make sense for a repair tech and have a real hard time coming up with a situation where having them on would save your foot at a residential or small commercial service call.

I sell in em and wear em on light days. Sure are comfortable and quick to slip off if ya have to go into the house.

txgrassguy
08-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I saw a guy wearing a pair of those things for the first time maybe two weeks ago.

Here I am, on the range shepherding the shooters through their first safety briefing and I look down and see those things. I'm like "WTF are those queer bait things?" Dude says to me he doesn't appreciate my humor - so I replied I'd have to kick my own ass if I wore those things.

stebs
08-11-2011, 07:47 PM

So you're one of those guys.... :wall

DanaMac
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Can't remember the last time I tucked a shirt it, and it sure has never been on a job site. I'm there to get wet and dirty and stinky, not write computer code.

Mark B
08-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I forgot to add. I do have a pair of the 5 fingers shoes to trail run in. They are really comfy.

Sir,YES sir!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ARGOS
08-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Can't remember the last time I tucked a shirt it

Sorry Dana...belly in the way?

Buuuwwaaahahahaha

DanaMac
08-11-2011, 10:50 PM
sorry dana...belly in the way?

Buuuwwaaahahahaha

I'm working on it!!!!!!!

(Why won't it post in all caps when I type in all caps?)

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I forgot to add. I do have a pair of the 5 fingers shoes to trail run in. They are really comfy.

Sir,YES sir!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Would they be good for walking in streams? Would sand or gravel get inside?
Posted via Mobile Device

Stuttering Stan
08-11-2011, 11:35 PM
So you're one of those guys.... :wall

Yes, I am. I strongly believe in image. I feel it's the easiest way to seperate yourself from the competition, especially with the upper end client. Image and knowing how to talk to the customer go hand-n-hand.
When meeting with a new client/ property manager, I always carry a clean change of clothes. The first impression is HUGE, and will be what they remember. Never pass up a chance to make a positive impression.

WalkGood
08-12-2011, 01:10 AM

Don't they get sunburned backs with no shirt on all day? Or do you rub suntan lotion on them? :laugh:

mitchgo
08-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Yes, I am. I strongly believe in image. I feel it's the easiest way to seperate yourself from the competition, especially with the upper end client. Image and knowing how to talk to the customer go hand-n-hand.
When meeting with a new client/ property manager, I always carry a clean change of clothes. The first impression is HUGE, and will be what they remember. Never pass up a chance to make a positive impression.

I agree too for the most part. However I don't follow that

My boss has us take our trucks through the car wash once a week- clean the rims.

Personally, If I was a client I would judge the 'quality' of the company by the look of the truck before the guy. - Then the guy.

I think attitude and confidence plays equal if not more important then image

I do like being dirty though.. I always get comments that it looks like i've been busting my ass.. It's appraising when other contractors comment.

Mark B
08-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Hey mitchgo... Does that mean you are a dirty boy? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
08-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I used them wading a river while fishing only one time. So they are not good for that. But when I use them to run or walk I like them.
Posted via Mobile Device