PDA

View Full Version : Didn't water my plants.....warranty??

Cam.at.Heritage
08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Basically we had to go and replace some stuff that didn't survive from last year, and added some new things where there wasn't any before. I get an email today saying...."I had some issues with the irrigation and the new plants you put in didn't get watered, with all the heat they died out to much and died. Will these be covered under warranty?"

Where do I find these clients? Do other people have the same issues? Really starting to wondering if the other plants I replaced under warranty already died because of other irrigation issues.

nortonlawncare
08-10-2011, 06:16 PM
did you do the irrigation? if not tell them that they would have to take it up with the company that did, if the problem was from the install.

Patriot Services
08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Did you write or imply a warranty? If not "I'm sorry maam/sir, I cant warranty items that are out of my control. I would be happy to give you a quote for replacing them though.":usflag:

FoghornLeghorn
08-10-2011, 09:24 PM
If you are not in direct control of the irrigation settings and repair, you cannot warranty the plants. You have no way of ensuring they get the water they need.

If you decide to warranty it, you'll have every idiot and his brother asking for new flowers...

shovelracer
08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Been there. Written warranty helps, but does not make for happy customers. Right now though we are dealing with the opposite. We have a job that is being overwatered. The guy aimed all the lawn heads at the gardens and ran them consecutively for 10 hrs every day for the last 2 months at least. Turns out he couldn't figure out how to program the controller correct and the result was several programs that overlapped and just keep the system on from 5am well into 3pm. I went there yesterday and shut down the system completely after telling him to fix it for months. I have 5k worth of plants and half are suffering from rot. I pulled out the worst boxwoods and within seconds the hole filled completely with water. I am sure I am expected to make it right, at no cost of course.

vencops
08-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Ask them if their new car's warranty covers them........if they don't change the oil.

They know the answer to their question. Good luck.

Rake 'n Bake
08-11-2011, 05:37 AM
I just can't figure out what's so hard about calling when there's a problem. I always tell people to call at the first sign of a problem so as to maybe save the new lawn/plants. They never do until stuff is completely gone.

Cam.at.Heritage
08-11-2011, 09:15 AM
We will generally warranty plants for a year if they have proper irrigation, and no I didn't do the irrigation system. We actually had the same issue with these people at the very start with them over watering...somehow the client thought he knew a better watering schedule then the irrigation installer. Luckily we caught it before the 400cm trees died.

There were a bunch of perennials that didn't come back this year either but we didn't warranty them because they got their "Landscaper" to add an additional 4" of mulch on top of our 3" we put in last year before anything started to come up :hammerhead:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WTUlwQS_o9U/TkPHUZ3jTJI/AAAAAAAAA0M/RcTnnq2qUr8/s640/GEDC0622.JPG