PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Glyphosate with Broad-Leaf Herbicides

alanauer
08-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Glyphosate uses a different mechanism than the ingredients in a typical three-way, 2-4-D-based broad-leaf herbicide, so I wondered if anybody has results on using them mixed together.

(For instance, say the application is for ridding broadleaf plants more than grass, and the operator is running short of gly but has lots of 3-way.)

HenryB
08-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Interesting question. Even for treating broadleafs in turf. With reduced rate Gly. Might yellow Turf a bit but really knockout targeted weeds.

Patriot Services
08-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Seeing as how glypho is non-selective I would think you would yellow the whole yard at the very least. The only time I see blanket apps of glypho is to smoke an area prior to sod or seed.:usflag:

Ric
08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
alanauer

"TURBO CHARGED ROUNDUP" is a popular term for adding either 2,4-D or 3 way to glyphosate and is commonly done. In fact some will even add Basogram to also get Sedge.

Other tricks are to add 1/5 of a pound per gallon soluble Ammonium Sulfate 21-0-0 as a surfactant. It both adds to the acidity of the solution and helps the up take of the Herbicides. But just remember that mixture and Roundup alone is extremely acidic and corrosive

There are of course other quick kills that can be added Like Scythe Herbicide.

vencops
08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Interesting, Ric. I've never thought of AS as a surfactant, when mixed with gly. (which has aNOTHER surfactant).

RigglePLC
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Triclopyr might be a help. My opinion, Roundup is a little weak on clover and legumes.

Young Bros
08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
We used to add Gly & Surge until my supplier didn't recommend it. Said the gly would get to do it's job cause the Surge will kill too fast. There is a few broadleaves the gly is weak on though. I thought it did a good job mixed, we might go back to it.

alanauer
08-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks all for the helpful responses so far.

The application is not for a lawn, but for areas where all growth (mostly broadleaf) is unwanted. My main concern was that one product might interfere with another, which does not seem to be the case, given sufficient concentrations.