PDA

View Full Version : pto clutch bobcat

jobjonnie
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Have a bobcat 218 that has app. 380 hours on it. Bought it used 6 yrs ago w/180 hrs. Normal weekly 2 acre cutting. Just smoked the pto.......for the third time!!!!!!! WTF am I doing wrong here?????? Please excuse my fustration but at $150 a pop, it is getting old...........

BTW I am very mechanically inclined, so I thought.

pugs
08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
What is the actual model of the machine?

150 for an electric clutch seems too cheap to me. Are you sure its the right one for the machine? You could be buying some cheap one that looks very similar but is not made for the machine you are putting it on.

What exactly is going wrong? Is the clutch circuit open? Or what exactly do you mean by "smoked"?

When you put them in are you torquing the bolt to the proper spec? Usually 50-55 ftlbs.

jobjonnie
08-11-2011, 05:55 PM
model of the machine is 218es

I googled the part # and bought it accordingly. It appeared to be the proper one as everything lined up. As far as I Was able to tell, the air gap did not apply to my machine.

The first one smoked up due to over taxin the machine.....my bad. the next 2 were mechanical failure.

Instaled and torqued as per instructions.....

MoGreen
08-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Not sure if this helps, but I had a small leak on one of my hydros, and the fan blew the fluid all over the place (even into the electric clutch) and it started slipping eventually leading to failure. Yeh, $150 is pretty cheap. I think I paid $300 for mine?
(Bobcat Leo)

pugs
08-12-2011, 09:13 AM

I googled the part # and bought it accordingly. It appeared to be the proper one as everything lined up. As far as I Was able to tell, the air gap did not apply to my machine.

The first one smoked up due to over taxin the machine.....my bad. the next 2 were mechanical failure.

Thats not the model. The model number will most likely start with 942. Its on a plate at the front of the machine.

piston slapper
08-12-2011, 09:54 AM

These clutches are directional..The metal straps that attach the pulley to the clutch disc must be slanted away from the pull of the belt. (rotation of the engine)

Its easier to pull a rope than to push one.

jobjonnie
08-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Thats not the model. The model number will most likely start with 942. Its on a plate at the front of the machine.

my bad - 942211

jobjonnie
08-13-2011, 08:07 AM
These clutches are directional..The metal straps that attach the pulley to the clutch disc must be slanted away from the pull of the belt. (rotation of the engine)

Its easier to pull a rope than to push one.

IIRC there is only one way for it to be mounted........but I may be wrong. Last time I looked at it was 2 summers ago.

What is boggeling me is these things, as far as I can tell, are straight forward. I am not new to mechanics, I could build a SBC with my eyes closed. I am just missing something and cant figure out what..

Thanks for everyones input!

jobjonnie
08-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Just got in from taking it off. It appears the straps you are reffering to are sheared off.

Will try to get a photo of it later

BTW it is a warner clutch............good or bad???( Brand) pt #5219-14

rwaters
08-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Just got in from taking it off. It appears the straps you are reffering to are sheared off.

Will try to get a photo of it later

BTW it is a warner clutch............good or bad???( Brand) pt #5219-14

that is the right clutch but I would love to know your supplier, your getting it for about $100 less then most sites are selling them online for.

MoGreen
08-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Same here-let me know so the next time I need one, I will use THEM!

pugs
08-13-2011, 11:30 AM
There was an update for your machine. Do you have a machinery bushing between your clutch and the pump drive pulley? If not, that may be your problem. Or if you lost it when you changed the clutch the first time...

"Issue
It has come to our attention that the crankshaft spacing may not be correct on the 218 ES units.
Please update units in the field as soon as possible. Crated units can be updated at time of
setup.
Correction
Remove the clutch mounting bolt from the center of the crankshaft. Remove the Clutch 2722016
and install a Machinery Bushing 64163-44 between the clutch and Pump Drive Pulley 2188188.
Reinstall the clutch and torque the clutch mounting bolt to 50 ft/lbs."