PDA

View Full Version : 17 kawasaki FH500v crankshaft endplay?

Camaro865
08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
how much end play in the crankshaft is acceptable? with the tension from the belts removed and the top cover off, i can lift the flywheel up and down, not much but enough to make a clunking noise. side to side play is basically none.

theres probably 2500 hours on this engine. i'm assuming there should be zero endplay but i wouldent mind a second oppinion.

thanks

piston slapper
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
As long as you dont have any side to side play (end play) you're OK
In and out (crank thrust) should have a little play. If its running OK with no gear noises, leave it alone.

Restrorob
08-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Hmmm...... I scrolled through the manual twice and couldn't find a crank end play spec listed, I guess it is what it is and that's how it is...... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif

piston slapper
08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Hmmm...... I scrolled through the manual twice and couldn't find a crank end play spec listed, I guess it is what it is and that's how it is...... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif

I'm guessing, but I dont think anything more than .002-.003 is acceptable for side to side play on the flywheel. You may have to use a small prybar to push against the flywheel to check for endplay because sometimes the magnets under the flywheel will try to keep it centered.

Excessive endplay will reduce the airgap between the coil and give you spark problems. I've had some Kaw's that I had to gap at .020 to get them to run.

BigFish
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm guessing, but I dont think anything more than .002-.003 is acceptable for side to side play on the flywheel. You may have to use a small prybar to push against the flywheel to check for endplay because sometimes the magnets under the flywheel will try to keep it centered.

Excessive endplay will reduce the airgap between the coil and give you spark problems. I've had some Kaw's that I had to gap at .020 to get them to run.

WRONG! WRONG! Did I mention your statements are wrong???
Crankshaft ENDPLAY, has no effect on the airgap!
.002-.003 RADIAL PLAY is out of specs!!!
If your referring to crankshaft ENDPLAY, then .002-.003 is perfectly OK.
If, on the other hand, your referring to RADIAL or AXIAL play or runout, sometimes referred to as shake, or "side to side play" ( mostly by shadetrees) then .002-.003 is excessive.

Sounds like you've got your "endplay" and "side to side play" definitions/ terminology way screwed up!

BigFish
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
As long as you dont have any side to side play (end play) you're OK
In and out (crank thrust) should have a little play. If its running OK with no gear noises, leave it alone.

See post # 5

piston slapper
08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Its not what I say...Its what I mean....
Side to side play on the flywheel is BAD.....What we in hot,humid Fla ,wrongly so, call endplay
In and out on the crank , What we call crank Thrust, should be noticeable , but not alot.

So I guess I'm RIGHT...RIGHT...RIGHT , Even when you say I'm wrong..wrong...wrong.

BTW...Not a shadetree on the property..

piston slapper
08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
See post # 5

See post # 7....:cool2:

piston slapper
08-12-2011, 04:33 PM

I'm with you on this one Rob....Just have to watch my terminology...

Restrorob
08-12-2011, 09:43 PM
I'll take who's right for $500 Alex..... :laugh:

A quick look at other OEM's shows anywhere from .002-.030" on "end play" clearances.....