PDA

View Full Version : Swisher push trimmer with Briggs 6hp problems

jason6586
08-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a high wheel swisher push trimmer with a 6 hp briggs on it. I love the machine and it has not given me a bit of problems until now. I started it and ran it for a while and them it just died like you let go of the handle. I can restart it and it runs for a second or two. Well I took the coil off of my push mower and put it on still did the same. Then i figured it could be the carb so i took that apart and cleaned it still does the same thing. Then I took the carb off of my push mower and put that on same thing. The push mower runs great. I'm lost what else could it be. When i restart it it seems like it will only run on its prime then when that runs out its done. I just got done mowing with it for 15 mins and it worked fine then bam it shuts off and does the same thing over again. Any Ideas?

Thanks

dutch1
08-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Briggs engine numbers?

jason6586
08-10-2011, 11:51 PM
model is
12H807 - 1976-B1

Thanks

dutch1
08-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I was going to suggest a carb rebuild until you mentioned you had swapped a supposedly good carb from a second engine without success. If the compression is good, there are a couple of things you could check. I have found a few cases where the crossover tube retaining screws have loosened where the crossover tube is attached to the engine block. If that might be the case, install a new gasket and install the machine screws with blue loctite.

Is there a possibility that you've lost the o-ring that fits over the crossover tube and between the engine and carb flanges.

Both conditions will cause the engine to suck excess air.

Although it's not normally a problem, on two occasions I've found the chamber behind the primer bulb plugged with debris. The primer bulb is vented and that along with the primer chamber in the air filter base serves as the carb vent. With the chamber blocked, fuel will not flow properly from the tank to the carb.

Double check the bowl nut as it serves as the main jet--make sure all three ports are clear.