PDA

View Full Version : fc420v possible smoked cam

mngreenguy
08-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I recently dissembled and honed and re-rung the piston. I checked all the clearances per the service manual. Everything checked out, so i assembled all the pieces and she started right away ran perfect for about 30 seconds then a loud squeaking noise started so i shut it down.

So i'm back to tearing it down, there are aluminum shavings on the crank case walls by the cam shaft. I can turn the cam by hand but it won't come out and i don't want to break the case by prying.

You guys have any tricks? A small slide hammer would be awesome but i don't have one.

Thank for your help over the years.

Restrorob
08-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Did you loosen the rocker arms and remove the pushrods then push the tappets away from the cam lobes ?

mngreenguy
08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
yep sure did ill post a pic when I get home

topsites
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
This is a tough cookie, for sure, with rebuilds it almost always is.

Whatever you did metal shavings is a bad sign and worse to come if you can't get it all worked out,
not saying it's your fault but rebuilding engines is like taking a shot in the dark, although in this case
you know where the target is but there's still that fine chance you'll miss because how do you know,
just based on where those metal shavings were, that it's really the camshaft.

How do you really know, how can you be absolutely certain, the answer is you can't.

This is as much if not more for other readers having considered or considering a rebuild in the future.

I can't say, nor am I saying that it's your fault, but by the time you invest in a camshaft and do everything
again, how do you know it's not going to turn into yet more parts breaking down that need replacing?

This is the reason why once it gets to where an engine needs rebuilding, in ways just as well off replacing it...
You just never know, after you have done all of the work according to specifications, whether or not
that POS is going to run the way it's supposed to.

Good luck with that.

piston slapper
08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
If the cam is hung in the block...the block is junk.
The cam bushing is machined into the block...or at least it was...

Probably the result of an obstruction in the oil passages..stick a fork in it...its done.

piston slapper
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I grabbed a 420 block off the shelf and did some checking...
Its possible that you left out the relief valve ball and spring, or it is stuck.
Its located next to the oil pump and below the gov gear.

I would go ahead and disassemble the pump...just out of curiousity..

mngreenguy
08-11-2011, 04:11 PM
that's what I expected but any advice on getting the cam out without damaging anything else?

piston slapper
08-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Use 2 large screwdrivers or prybars....
I doubt there is much you're gonna be able to salvage...
Take a little of your frustration out on it, and get it out.
Wear gloves and safety glasses.

mngreenguy
08-11-2011, 05:35 PM
so if the block is done what's my best option?

Sharpcut 1
08-11-2011, 06:45 PM
If you need a cam, and you can't find one in a dealers' stock, a little heads up. Kawasaki is waiting on them from overseas, but with the earthquake they claim they won't be in the states until the end of September. Good luck.

Engine I'm working on wiped out the ACR on the cam, it would rip your arm off and break recoils!!!

Restrorob
08-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Kawasaki is waiting on them from overseas

The Kawasaki parts distribution center in Hebron,KY is shown having at-least one in stock..... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

mngreenguy
08-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I think the cam will be salvagable, its the aluminum case I'm concerned with.

jsslawncare
08-11-2011, 09:11 PM
The case looks fine but, I'm just looking at pictures. My question is how does the rod look? It's made of aluminum. So if you did leave the relief ball and spring out, No oil on the cam or rod, maybe? When my fc420 blew I just found a lawn tractor with the same engine. Tractor was wore out and the motor had very little hours on it. I gave a hundred dollors for it. The man I bought it from thought I was cazy for paying that much for that old wore out tractor. I gave a $100 for a $1000 motor. Now who's cazy? John Deere used this engine alot. I do have a good cam if you need it.

piston slapper
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
so if the block is done what's my best option?

Find another block or engine...
Not cost effective to repair the block.

JSSlawncare....sorry about the confusion...The pics were not from the failed engine in this thread...Just 1 off the shelf for sight comparison..

Sharpcut 1
08-12-2011, 01:27 PM
The Kawasaki parts distribution center in Hebron,KY is shown having at-least one in stock..... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Rob,
49118-2077 shows 0 available, called the other day when it did'nt come in with our order, that's when we were told the earthquake story!!! Just checked the Kawasaki dealer site before I posted this!! JOHN

Restrorob
08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
49118-2077 shows 0 available

OK John,

I didn't have your spec number, Just randomly grabbed one and it was in stock......

Sharpcut 1
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Rob,
I was just double checking. Ever since Kawi went to this UPS wharehouse, I think their inventory is not always accurate JMHO!!