PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR550 spark plug cap

1998tahoe
08-11-2011, 03:33 AM
I was changing spark plugs in my Stihl blower tonight and when I went to remove the spark plug boot cap. It pulled off the plug wire. Now what?? Went on and changed plug, pushed cap back down on wire and snapped back on spark plug. Fired right up. Is this gonna be a problem on down the road or will it be fine??? Don't want to get to my larger customers Friday and have it not crank and run correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
08-11-2011, 08:29 AM
So long as the crimped metal end didn't detach from the wire, the boot isn't important.
If the crimped end pulled off the wire, then you need to re-crimp it.

Whenever I get a new piece of power equipment, the first thing I do, is pull the spark plug boot, and coat the inside of the boot in dielectric grease. That will prevent the boot from sticking too the plug.

dutch1
08-11-2011, 08:31 AM
If you want to be sure of good contact, it would be wise to pull the boot off and make sure the terminal bend is piercing the plug wire, then with a bit of lube, reinstall the boot over both the terminal and plug wire. If the terminal remained in the boot when this occurred, it's possible that the plug wire end is close enough to the terminal to allow the spark to jump from one to the other, thereby allowing the unit to run.

topsites
08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
You can probably leave it the way it is, also if it should become a problem
later on they do sell all those little pieces after market, all except the wire itself.

rlitman
08-11-2011, 01:54 PM
You can get lengths of spark plug wire at an auto parts store. That, and the ignition wire crimpers for it. Even boots (although only ones that are generic in shape, and won't fit the recess in the housing snugly).

As dutch1 said, if the terminal remained in the boot, but the wire pulled out of its crimp, just putting the wire back in may let you get spark in the engine, but it will likely vibrate loose, and may shock you.

ricky86
08-11-2011, 02:04 PM
If the leg spring is securely embedded in the wire, you should be OK. If the wire is torn, pierce a new hole in it, insert the leg spring, lub the boot with soap and install it.
The wire is not replaceable. Next time, use a twisting motion to remove the boot off the plug.

ed2hess
08-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Take a small plastic tie wrap and use it to ensure the wire prong stays in place then you can slit the boot to fit over it and tie wrap it. Called jury rigged.

topsites
08-12-2011, 01:57 AM
Take a small plastic tie wrap and use it to ensure the wire prong stays in place then you can slit the boot to fit over it and tie wrap it. Called jury rigged.

You know, I've gotten to taking the old spark plug wires from cars when they are replaced and keeping those
for the purpose of later removing the metal spark plug clips and also the boots because they come in handy
for many a piece of yard equipment.

But as I said earlier they actually sell all that in kits and what have you after market,
find all sorts of good stuff http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Spark-Plug-Wire-Components/
on the other hand the below kit retails for near $20 so "recycling" some car's old wires may not be the worst idea...