PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or does anyone else feel this way????

General Grounds
10-28-2002, 08:10 PM
:blob3: i think im ready for a couple of months off, seems like im more tired this year than last i quess not taking anytime off last winter has sometin to do with that. def. will take at least 4 or 5 weeks off this year. im spent, still have about 8-10 weeks to go. tony

Mow&Snow
10-28-2002, 08:18 PM
I always look forward to 4 months of playing video games come winter. I get so burnt out. But we still have the entire leaf season ahead of us.

DOH!

Tom

BRL
10-28-2002, 09:24 PM
Yep, your gettin' old General! ;) That's your body ignoring what the brain still thinks it can demand out of it. My brain is not taking this bit of reality too well, but he'll get over it eventually LOL.

rvsuper
10-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Gettin' burned out like everyone else....I have about 2-4 weeks maybe less if the weather keeps up like it is now. Haven't been able to pick up any maple tree leaves yet because they still haven't lost them yet, even though lows were around 20 here the other night with two snows already! I think everyone gets that way by the end of the season but by the time the snow has been around for a while, you want to get out there again for another great season.

JimB
10-28-2002, 11:02 PM
:o Im fried also, I just wanna put all the equipment away and cuddle in bed for the next 4 months, every year I take on more work, I get older and totally fried out, no, your not alone !!!

...Jim

little green guy
10-28-2002, 11:10 PM
One more month to go :blob1: :blob4: I can't wait.

Greenstar Services
10-28-2002, 11:17 PM
After 20 years of being in this industry, my body and mind are in agreement. It's vacation time. Just a matter of closing out the season.:sleeping:

bobbygedd
10-29-2002, 01:51 AM
just got my second wind, the worst is yet to come(leaves). then ill be real happy laying on the couch for 3 months

JimLewis
10-29-2002, 03:04 AM
Not Me! I never get sick of this stuff! This tumbleweed is a mowin', rakin', weed pullin' machine! I work out there doing the hard stuff 12 hours per day every day of the year. 'Cept Sundays o'course. And I'm lovin' every second ovit. I come home, have dinner, and then read books on mowin'.

All I watch on TV are landscapin' and mowin' shows on the DIY network and HGTV. Ma foot rest is an old rusty Honda engine. I use my Felco #9 for cuttin' ma steak with. Ma screen saver is a dude mowin' lawns. Ma pillow is a 50 lb. bag o' fertilizer. And I've been known to splash on a little Roundup before a hot date.

I just can't get enough of this stuff! Must be in ma bones, I reckon.

Barkleymut
10-29-2002, 04:43 AM
Jim - you need HELP! I like the roundup idea though I'll have to see if my wife likes that smell more on me than on our driveway.

The ol' Barkleymut (29 years old) is crispy deep fat fried burned out. Started this year in July. More than 10 days of over 100 degrees and 14 out of 30 over 95 degrees here in the Southland will do that too you. Add on that the drought of the century and BAM you got burnout. Then add on 60 to 80 hour work weeks and you've got a lawnboy that the cat dragged home.

bruces
10-29-2002, 08:38 AM
By Jim Lewis

All I watch on TV are landscapin' and mowin' shows on the DIY network and HGTV. Ma foot rest is an old rusty Honda engine. I use my Felco #9 for cuttin' ma steak with. Ma screen saver is a dude mowin' lawns. Ma pillow is a 50 lb. bag o' fertilizer. And I've been known to splash on a little Roundup before a hot date.

I thought I was the only one on here that was normal, I know just how you feel Jim.

walker-talker
10-29-2002, 08:58 AM
Jim, what is DIY network? I cancel my satellite service every spring, due to lack of time. In the last 4 months, I bet I have not watched more than 5 hours of tv....honestly.

MATT

bubble boy
10-29-2002, 11:15 AM
DIY is do it yourself, not sure if that is a real network.

and i must say not so burnt out this yr, due to running crews. more headaches, but less body aches. but the break is nice.

just about done cutting, will start clean ups maybe late this week. and gearing up for SNOW, which i love. the transition periods for me are the best, november and april. what i do in those months sets the tone for the following half year.

Green Pastures
10-29-2002, 11:41 AM
Jim,

You're a riot! I used to use fert for my pillow but I changed to grass seed. More comfy!

I love my job too.

Scott

BOTURF
10-29-2002, 11:53 AM
I think everyone whos been in this biz very long ( almost everyone except Jim ) gets burned out by seasons end. You got remember tho we always get a break for a few months after season and if we worked for the man we wouldnt , we be in same old grind for years doing same thing everyday .I love it on my end because after seasons end i take 4 weeks off around holidays, then a friend who has a acre of greenhouse hires me for winter. i work there till march 20 when i head to fl for 2 weeks on beachs till spring cleanups and mowing start april 1 i guess you can say i got best of both worlds when i get burned out after 8 months i just start doiung something else for 3 months then back to what i love

Gravely_Man
10-29-2002, 04:20 PM
There everyone goes using that word again that I don't understand. Vacation. What does that mean? I hear you; I am ready for a break!

Gravely_Man

Toroguy
10-29-2002, 04:51 PM
We have to ask ourselves... are we living to work, or are we working to live?

I love this line of work, but did find myself over my head this season. My remedy will be not accepting new work next season. Several clients moved this year and will open more space for "personal time", or what I like to call "living".

DIY is a television network, I discovered another interesting obscure channel called the Fine Living channel, lots of cool places, cars, and living ideas. Both are on Direct TV.

rvsuper
10-29-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker
what is DIY network?

I have Direct tv and its called DIY network. They have various shows covering topics like Home Improvement and Remodeling, Gardening and Landscaping, Plumbing, etc.

JimLewis
10-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Can't wait for the Lawn mowin' channel! Hopefully it will be coming soon on TV as well as Satellite radio. Just think! 24 hours of uninterrupted broadcast of everything relatin' to mowin'. Shows like "SCAG TV", "Dixie Chopper Files", "TwinBlade" "Whose yard is it anyway?" "Lawn and Order" and with hosts like Shindaiwa Twain, Jane Honda, and Toro Spelling.

Man, I'd be so happy I'd be shakin' like an ole hound dog shittin' peach seeds!

Mow&Snow
10-29-2002, 07:18 PM
clever

Bill Davis
10-29-2002, 08:00 PM
I definetly could use a break. With school and my company taking off i would love to have a nice week or two off. I have only a month left before duck season and then i only work three days a week. But, then I have to work at the farm picking up pecans. At least it is a little different work. This cool weather is making work much easier to get excited for.

hustlers
10-29-2002, 08:03 PM
NOV 11 AND ill be florida for 38 days in warm
weather studying and loafing around
in 12 acres of tropical greenhouses with
exotic fruits, veggies, etc.

Ive had enough of this raking stuff for
the year

Swampbeast
10-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Jim! Ha ha! Shut up before I pee my pants!
Whoo, no, I aint burned out, fact is, I got kinda bummed when the season ended.
Who was that complaining about 100 degree temperatures for 10 days? Man, here in Houston we had 110 degree temps for 3 MONTHS straight! July, August, September! And the humidity never far from 100%, usually at about 97%. You aint seen nothin.
The break isnt very long here, I am still wearing shorts and t-shirts and mowing grass regularly. Snow? What the hell is snow?

:cool:

Mow&Snow
10-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Snow = Pennies from heaven!, White gold!, A gift from the gods!

Damn I love snow! 15 hours in the truck, a few thousand dollars richer. Best of all, no digging through rock, hauling leaves, schlepping grass clippings....

Barkleymut
10-29-2002, 11:19 PM
By Swampbeast "Who was that complaining about 100 degree temperatures for 10 days? Man, here in Houston we had 110 degree temps for 3 MONTHS straight! July, August, September! And the humidity never far from 100%, usually at about 97%. You aint seen nothin."

Hey there Swampbeast it was me whining about the weather. And apparently the heat fried your memory because I just checked out the National Weather Services records for this summer and your claims add up about as well as a Bill Clinton allibi. In August the average high temp in Houston was a whopping 1 degree higher than the same avg. in Richmond. The high that month in Houston was 97. In Richmond the high was over that mark 6 times with the highest reading being 101.
In July Richmond had a higher high temperature average than Houston. The highest temp in Houston was 95 degrees. In Richmond we topped that mark 12 times and had a high of 100 degrees which we reached twice.
I didn't have the time to research every month but I just couldn't believe anywhere other than Phoenix was much hotter than here this past summer. And don't give me any of that humidity BS. It is always above 85% here and usually in the mid 90's. Have a nice day but check your facts before you get diareah of the mouth again. And remember don't bring your 5 foot nothin game into the house of a 7'4" giant.

Don't believe me?
Richmond's July record: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/climate/RICLCDJUL.txt
Richmond's August record:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/climate/RICLCDAUG.txt
Houston's July record:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/climo/hou/jul02hou.txt
Houston's August record:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/climo/hou/aug02hou.txt

Swampbeast
10-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Horse hockey my boy, pure horsehockey. I dont go by all that National Weather Forcast stuff, sorry, but it told me that the temperatures today were 71 degrees when it was actually 82 by my thermometer outside and according to all the radio stations. Now, if that was off by maybe 3 or 4 degrees I could accept it, but 11 degrees off? I dont know where you went to school but thats just a bit to unaccurate for me! :D
Diahrea of the mouth eh? That would taste bad! ;)
What are you talking about? 7'4"? Are you that tall?
Hey man, dont get all offended on me now. I was just horseing around, didnt think you would go nuts on me. Its just weather for crying out loud.
And I hate to say it, but the average tempurature by my count is 100 for the month of August. (highs of course) I dont see how they got the number 97, thats a load of crap. And 95 in July?! Dang thats way off! The highest temp in Houston in July was 112!
And anyone that has ever lived in Houston knows what I am talking about when I talk about the humidity. Its worse than where you are, yes it is. Virginia is substantially farther north than Texas, we are in the Sub-tropics, you know that right?
Once again, sorry this seemed to irritate you so badly, didnt think it would affect you. And dont be so quick to get offended over stupid stuff like this!
Lets get back to the subject shall we? I am not burned out yet, could be just cause I am still young. Maybe it will wear off eventually.

Barkleymut
10-30-2002, 12:10 AM
Swampbeast- yes I got a little riled up. Maybe your thermometer is in the sun? All temps are supposed to be recorded in the shade. As for the National weather service. I'll trust their records before I trust someone I have never met. No offence. As for how far north something is means absolutely zero zip nada. Want to know the record high temp all time in Honolulu, Hawaii (which by the way is way farther south than you are)? It's 95 degrees which we can both agree is way lower than the highs we've seen before. Temps have to do with the Jet Stream, proximity to large bodies of water, warm and cold front activity and about 100 other factors that make meterologists heads spin. By the way I graduated from Campbell University in 1995. And I'm only 6'3".

Barkleymut
10-30-2002, 12:13 AM
I hate to rub it in but I am a fact junkie. This is from the U.S. National Climatic Data Center. Highest temp ever in Houston is 107. Avg. historical high in Houston in July is 94.

Swampbeast
10-30-2002, 07:40 AM
Whatever. I still dont believe that.

Mow&Snow
10-30-2002, 08:11 AM
LOL. You guys crack me up. Wish I had time for that sh*t....

Swampbeast
10-30-2002, 08:14 AM
Ha ha! I know! This is the most pointless thing I think I have ever argued about. weather! Ha! Now I can truly say I have done nearly everything!

crawdad
10-30-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jimlewis
Can't wait for the Lawn mowin' channel! .....
Man, I'd be so happy I'd be shakin' like an ole hound dog .......

And don't forget the movie, "Toro, Toro, Toro"

Crawdad

Barkleymut
10-30-2002, 09:51 AM
Mow&Snow, it really doesn't take that long if you already have all of that stuff bookmarked. Is it obvious I couldn't fall asleep last night?

crawdad
10-30-2002, 11:30 AM
More shows for the Lawn Mower Channel;
"Tales from the Clipped"
"Exmark Files"
"As The Blade Turns"
"A 'scape from Alcatraz"
and of course,
"The Lawn Ranger"

JimLewis
10-30-2002, 02:15 PM
"A 'scape from Alcatraz"I love it!