PDA

View Full Version : Looking for work. Anywhere in Texas

davis45
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Im tired of the daily grind here in Central Illinois. Packing up my stuff and heading south with a friend of mine. We have no destination, just looking to stay in Texas and find work.

23 years old, lots of lawn expierence. Please contact me for further information.

StihlMechanic
08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Good luck to you but right now Texas isn't the best place to relocate to if you want to cut grass. Even some of my irrigated properties haven't shown growth in a few weeks.

davis45
08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Good luck to you but right now Texas isn't the best place to relocate to if you want to cut grass. Even some of my irrigated properties haven't shown growth in a few weeks.

Haha, yes I know. I have family down there and I have heard about the weather.

I am looking for any sort of job, not just lawn care, but I figured it wouldnt hurt to try on here.

ghunter502
08-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Maybe you should come to Kansas we are hiring.

StihlMechanic
08-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I would imagine with the pesticide experience you should be able to land a job in that field around here, maybe irrigation as well. I see ads for hiring in the DFW area. What brings you away from Il?

davis45
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I would imagine with the pesticide experience you should be able to land a job in that field around here, maybe irrigation as well. I see ads for hiring in the DFW area. What brings you away from Il?

Some might say i'm running from problems?

I dunno honestly, I have family in Texas and I love it there. I've been talking about this since I was 18 but i've always had something stopping me. Ready to give it a shot now.

KrayzKajun
08-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Crazy Ex-grilfriend ?
Posted via Mobile Device

davis45
08-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Crazy Ex-grilfriend ?
Posted via Mobile Device

:cool2: you could say that

whosedog
08-12-2011, 04:44 PM

I dunno honestly, I have family in Texas and I love it there. I've been talking about this since I was 18 but i've always had something stopping me. Ready to give it a shot now.

We must have details,about the problems,now that you have our attention.You can tell us; our lips are sealed...Make something up if it's not exciting enough!

One of my 23 year old twins is an OTR trucker in training with Swift;he travels to Texas a lot. He says it's hotter than heck down there and all the rivers are dried up gullies,cattle are being slaughtered at a loss, because ranchers have nothing to feed them.There is no rain in sight because of el nino.

You're picking a bad time to go there unless you're a rainmaker or want to work in a slaughter house.Do you honestly think that the daily grind in Texas is any different from any other place?

davis45
08-12-2011, 05:48 PM
We must have details,about the problems,now that you have our attention.You can tell us; our lips are sealed...Make something up if it's not exciting enough!

One of my 23 year old twins is an OTR trucker in training with Swift;he travels to Texas a lot. He says it's hotter than heck down there and all the rivers are dried up gullies,cattle are being slaughtered at a loss, because ranchers have nothing to feed them.There is no rain in sight because of el nino.

You're picking a bad time to go there unless you're a rainmaker or want to work in a slaughter house.Do you honestly think that the daily grind in Texas is any different from any other place?

Not here for advice really. Im here looking for a job.

Toy2
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Not here for advice really. Im here looking for a job. Pull up TXDOT's website, look for something in the area you plan on moving to, the closer you are to I-35 the better, huge highway construction projects starting.

Contractors hiring left and right as well.

Dealing with the heat makes you a man!!!:usflag:

Soil Guru
08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Don't listen to the negative stuff. I am in central Texas and there is plenty of work-- if you are a hard worker, drug free, and reliable. Drought? Well, yeah, but lawns still need mowing because most folks that hire lawn maintenance irrigate their lawns. The extreme heat just means they are even less likely to mow it themselves.

It will be lots easier to get hired if you are physically here; most employers are leery of hiring someone sight unseen. I would plan on making my move before fall, because fall is when things crank up again here, at least in terms of planting. Otherwise, wait until March.

Uh oh! I just gave you advice! Sorry! I'll be hiring soon, but I don't do lawn maintenance; I am in the design/install side of things. I look for folks with some experience reading designs and a knowledge of plant culture.

Good luck in your search.

davis45
08-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Getting alot of messages about the trailer. Anyone want anything else?

Mikegyver
08-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Say away! This is the worse possible time to come down. I cannot even pay the bills because of lack of work! Most grass is dead...the irrigated stuff is not that great either. Wish I was a licenced irrigator right now! However, the leaf season here will rival the Northeast...I am already bagging once a week in crucial areas (i.e. around a/c units) etc.
Plus...there is 50+ crews in my town of 75,000...way too many guys not enough work.
Mike