PDA

View Full Version : Dimension (dithiopyr) effect on seed

RigglePLC
08-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Containers of soil were treated with Dimension (dithiopyr) crabgrass control at about 4 and 9 pounds per thousand sq ft. (Roughly .22 and .45 pounds active ingredient per acre).
I planted seeds (Scotts "High Traffic") in half-inch deep holes to simulate tilling or slit seeding. 8 days later and 63 days after treatment with Dimension,
seven sprouts were visible. Sprouts were miss-shapen and were growing slowly.

Patriot Services
08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I read another thread on using pre em on new sod. Ric and another poster pointed out this goes against label advice. This product is intended for established turf as well. I'm not surprised by the results. I always thought there wasnt much you can or should do about weeds prior to seed/sod, germination/establishment other than starting with as sterile a soil as possible.:usflag:

Ric
08-11-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=4126816&postcount=5

Riggle

I am real surprised at you with all your years in the business. The above link is more about sod but I would think Seed is even more common sense than the Sod Question. If Pre emerge works on weed seeds? Why wouldn't it work on desirable grass seeds?? Seeds are seeds.

grassman177
08-11-2011, 07:42 PM
oh but seeds are not just seeds, in fact grass is a monocot, and ,most weeds are dicot. the chemical differentiates between the too, but it is still too strong for a non established root system is the thing. oh snap

RigglePLC
08-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I am surprized that the seed came up at all. I am sure larger seeds have more punch than smaller seeds. Rye before blue. Maybe it has been long enough for a fall seeding to take place. Or maybe not. Stay tuned for more info in about a week.

I don't always believe what the label says. Sometimes they are just trying to protect themselves and err on the side of reduced risk to the manufacturing company.

grassman177
08-11-2011, 11:15 PM
i have grown seed in spring soon after dimension was applied with no issues. i have done it many times actually. it is not as strong on seedlings as everyone should know barricade can me, and pendi is pretty strong too

Ben Greener
08-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Your rye grasses will germinate through a moderate dose of dithiopyr. blues and fescues will generally not.

dgw
08-13-2011, 08:42 AM
thanks for the test

i have wondered about this

mainly because the clash of schedule i often run into between overeseeding and applying pre m

what about siduron ?

dgw
08-13-2011, 08:55 AM
i have grown seed in spring soon after dimension was applied with no issues. i have done it many times actually. it is not as strong on seedlings as everyone should know barricade can me, and pendi is pretty strong too

i have too, but with scratching the soil or adding new

i want new seed and CG protection

IRRITECH
08-13-2011, 09:15 AM
oh but seeds are not just seeds, in fact grass is a monocot, and ,most weeds are dicot. the chemical differentiates between the too, but it is still too strong for a non established root system is the thing. oh snap

If that's true, then why is Dimension labeled for grassy weed control?? i.e. Crabgrass

bug-guy
08-13-2011, 09:36 AM
i believe alot of golf courses here will pre-m the last week of aug. then wait 6-8 weeks before overseeding

check the label, top right page 4

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld7ND005.pdf