PDA

View Full Version : poa annual control

RigglePLC
08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Ortho to rescue. OR NOT!
Take a look at this product which claims to control poa annua (annual bluegrass). Look at the fine print on the front of the bottle.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod10550011&itemId=cat50064&tabs=usage

Ingredients .05 percent sulfentrazone.

What gives? I am mystified. The professional product "Dismiss" does not claim to control poa annua.

vencops
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I have a customer with a few "circles" of annual bluegrass (about 18" circles). From what I'm reading on the web, our best chance is to dig these out and re-seed. His problem is with the "vertical" (not sure of the correct terminology. But, there seems to be 2 strains of annual bluegrass).

Intrigued, for sure. I'll sit back and listen to the experts.

71ragtopgoat
08-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Tenacity will knock it out. You will need 2 or three apps one week to ten days apart. You can seed and spray that way the seed will take up the bare spots.It will also kill a very large variety of other weeds as well.
I'm using it now on an aerate and over seed job. Did the first app a week ago and the lawn is just starting to white out. It was loaded with poa and nut sage with some CG where the ground was disturbed.
All three weeds are showing signs of stress !! You will need a sticker to apply with it though.

karlgrooms
11-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I am considering trying this product but not sure if using it now would kill POA. I know other products do not work well during the winter. The Poa is easy to identify in my yard right now and not going to seed.

karlgrooms
11-19-2011, 12:41 PM
I am considering trying this product but not sure if using it now would kill POA. I know other products do not work well during the winter. The Poa is easy to identify in my yard right now and not going to seed. Anyone have experience using this product during the cold months? Poa seems to be growing quite well and out pacing my TTF during the cold spell we are experiencing.