PDA

View Full Version : MHIC license proof of experience

pbjunkie92
08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Hello folks. I recently started a small landscaping business and have most of the formalities taken care of (insurance, trade name, Taxes etc.) however it has come to my attention that I need a MHIC license just to plant shrubs. My problem is this...they require 2 years experience. I have never worked in the home improvement field full time. My neighbor owns a small contracting company and often times I worked with him just for the knowledge or in trade for letting me use his equipment on landscaping jobs. What does the commission require for proof? Can he write a letter on company letterhead stating I interned or volunteered for him for this time?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks.

swbluto
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
.... hmmmm... how do you demonstrate experience if you're not allowed to do it and gain experience? Is it basically a requirement to "work for someone else for 2 years" to plant shrubs?

That seems a little ridiculous.

Patriot Services
08-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Well it's a common requirement in many states for "skilled trades". Here in FL some trades require 2000 hours verifiable experience under a licensed contractor plus a state test. A GC requires 5 years with 2 of them as a foreman. Now some may argue landscaping is not a "skilled" trade. Personally I feel these laws are written more as a consumer protection device than to road block small business. You may get away with a letter from your neighbor, but if they request payroll or timekeeping records the jig is up.:usflag:

vencops
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Some in NC are trying to implement a "Licensed Landscape Contractor" designation. It's failed several times, so far.

If you look at the website for these "Licensees", it's pretty obvious who they're trying to protect. For starters, it's a $500 annual licensing fee.