PDA

View Full Version : q4 plus vs drive vs solitaire

klsgc
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Did some test plots in west mi and found that drive actually worked on crab a little better than q4 plus. both were full rate with a spreader sticker. I decided to sit down and figure out how much quinclorac was getting down at full rate on each and am kind of stuck. q4 is a liquid ounce and drive is a weighted ounce and am having a hard time coming up with a way to covert and figure out if drive was putting more quin down than q4. Might as well throw solitaire in the comparison too, I've heard people have been pretty happy with the results. Any ideas?

RigglePLC
08-11-2011, 11:57 PM
You are supposed to use .75 pound active ingredient per acre.

The label here for Q4 is mysterious. The pounds per gallon and chemical names are difficult to understand. Sulfentrazone is a derivative of sulfonamide(easy to find). It looks like there is an error. 2,4-D is listed twice. Quinclorac is not listed at all. Quinclorac is a derivitive of quinolinecarboxylic acid.
http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/Q4-SL.pdf

I calculate you would have to apply about 1.7 gallons per acre to acheive label rate of quinclorac. (about 4.7 ounces of product per 1000 sqft).

Quinclorac is probably present at about .45 pounds per gallon.

If you look carefully .5 lb per gallon of 2,4-D is listed at the top of the list as 9.98 percent. Further down .88 lb per gallon 2,4-D is listed also as 9.98 percent. Why?

Ric we need your help on this one.

RigglePLC
08-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Klsgc,
OK, KL are you using new Q4 Plus?
The new label is easy to understand. Where it says, "This product contains" on the top line it shows .75 lbs per gallon quinclorac, but they use the chemical name, a derivitive of quinoline. The sulfentrazone is a complex chemical but it is a derivitive of sulfonamide, (look for sulfonamide at the end of the name). Dicamba is partly anisic acid--(it is easy to spot).
http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/Q4Plus-SL.pdf
As I see it, if you apply one gallon per acre, you are applying .75lbs active ingredient of quinclorac, (that is 2.94 fluid ounces per 1000 sqft).

Oddly, the old label must be a missprint. The version in Spanish is correct and shows .5 pounds per gallon of quinclorac in the old Q4 formula.

klsgc
08-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Yes riggle, I am using the plus. They bumped up the quinclorac to 8.xx
I ran 3 oz/k with it. so you are saying that 2.94 oz/k is the same as drive at full rate? Do you think there is some synergy between the sulfentrazone and the quinclorac that is supposed to get a better kill than just straight drive?

RigglePLC
08-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I am not sure about the synergy between Drive and sulfentrazone. But I have noticed some burning of crabgrass from full rates of T-Zone which contains some sulfentrazone.