PDA

View Full Version : Pier installation questions

Classic Lighting
08-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm working on a basic design for this pier to include post fixtures. The issues I have is that during major storms, the pier is usually submerged in water. The issue I am having is that all connections would be submerged because all wiring would be concealed under the pier. Can anyone recommend installation techniques or connections that would work underwater?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-11-2011, 11:33 PM
You could use ACE's or Crimp Connections from Lighting Shrink and not worry at all. Any quality, waterproof, direct burial type connection will suffice as long as it is installed properly. I have been wiring and installing on docks for years and have never had an issue with properly installed Dryconns.

bcg
08-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Dryconns are fine as long as they won't be submerged full time. I've had to repair several that were used in water features and over time they lost their water tightness and started to cause shorts. Lighting Shrink would be your best bet, it's nearly identical to the way connections are made for submersible pumps. Ace connectors would also work well but I would choose the Lighting Shrink connections first, they've got more gasket lining in the heat shrink, which will provide a better seal, and they cost less.

David Gretzmier
08-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Although I also have never issues with drycons in submerged applications, I would agree with James on this and go with lighting shrink.

The Lighting Geek
08-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I have used the Lighting Shrink in similar situations with excellent results.