PDA

View Full Version : Verticutting?

lawnman_scott
10-28-2002, 09:37 PM
What exactly is verticutting, what does it accomplish. I don't think its anything that I want to do, I'm just curious what it is. Am I wrong in assuming that it is basicallu like de-thatching?

GroundKprs
10-28-2002, 10:38 PM
Most dethatching machines are vertical flails or springs, that scour the soil surface and do nothing about real thatch. A verticutter, or vertical mower, uses fixed vertical blades on a reel, and the blades cut grooves in the soil if set deep enough.

This can be used to expose more soil for overseeding (my slit seeder drops seed right in front of each blade of vertical mower, and seed is then cut into the soil). A common use of vertical mowing is to mow stoloniferous (above ground horizontal stems) grasses when they are coming out of a dormancy or stress situation; this stimulates new growth. In this use the blades are set to just touch the soil. A true "powerrake" is a verticutter where blades can be set to cut through a thatch layer down to soil (sometimes down to 1" deep). This loosens the thatch so it can be removed, but is very labor intensive and is destructive to turf.

Arnold
10-28-2002, 11:45 PM
I believe that GroundKprs said it real well. Verti-cutting to me is what I do to my Bent Grass greens once a month depending on growth but when I'm done with verti-cutting it is barely noticeable but then its a greens grade verti-cutter.