PDA

View Full Version : plowing snow

DiSantolandscaping
08-11-2011, 10:26 PM
i have a few questions about plowing. Is it to early to start asking around to commercial accounts if they will be accepting bids this season, i know peopl look around mid october. and how do you set it up to get paid up front, i have a service aggrement/ contract. I can see giving the a price for each time it snows. and also do you charge them once per storm or is it each time tyou drop the plow? thanks for the help.

rywnygc
08-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Because I only do residential, I can only somewhat answer your question. I have a seasonal price. If I have a contract with a customer, they pay upfront. If a customer doesn't want to pay upfront for a contract, I tell them that they can call me if they need a plow but the price will be a much higher "one time plow" fee and I will only accept it, if its not outside my route, and I have the time.

If you plow, make sure that your accounts are stacked (very close to each other). Having to drive all over the place to plow will one: waste money and devour profits, and two: cause you to run behind on certain accounts and turns people to other contractors.

If you wait until October to approach clients (especially commercial), you will find that they are already signed up. I start hitting plowing advertising hard the last week of Aug, and continue slamming neighborhoods through September.

Hope that helps.

DiSantolandscaping
08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
ok thanks. i am wating to here from my insurance company to see how much more its going to cost me but hopefully not a lot. I wont mind once have some money coming in.

rywnygc
08-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Its gonna jump for sure. Mine jumps about 400 dollars for October-April.

It also goes by how many plowing accounts you claim to service. I think my options are 1-8, 9-20, and then 20+

Lawn Enforcer
08-11-2011, 11:02 PM
We bid our commercial lots on June 29, gotta hit it early since most companies want all that in place to shoot off to corporate or whoever approves it.

Patriot Services
08-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Might I direct you further down the forum list to PlowSite. You will probably find more information there.:usflag:

Tizzy
08-13-2011, 04:35 PM
yea deffinently hop over to plowsite.

but there are many ways to bill it.

as for commercial account most of them have already gone out to bid. 90% of contract will be signed by oct. 1 to cover them for any premature snowfall.

you can do your billing

per push. (everytime you plow)
per storm (1 set price for the whole storm)
per month (set price for each month)
seasonally (1 price for the whole winter)

most commercial lots want a seasonal price. so to bid that you have to figure how long its gonna take to plow said lot. how much material your gonna use per application (sand or salt). multiply that out by the average number of storms. and the average size of a storm. also the trigger dept.

so the formula should look like
following numbers are made up

average number of storms. 12
average depth 8"
trigger for lot 2"
price per push. $80
price per salt. $120
number of visits per avg. storm. 4

per storm plow. $320
per storm salt. $480
num. of storms 12
so seasonal bid would be around $6100.

this stuff is again all made up. you actually would have to figure out your average number of storms for your area. plus the average depth plus you application rates for sand or salt this is gonna depend on the price you can get it for.

good luck in the search for accounts. any questions PM me