PDA

View Full Version : Eaton 778-046 needed or help with it!

MoGreen
08-12-2011, 02:08 AM
Hello,
Posted a few days ago that I bought a 60" 25hp B&S zero turn with 140hrs on it!
$500!
Problem is the right side hydro pump/tranny gears?Motor runs great but right hydro grinds/chatters when going forward. Called about 4 companies and Eaton takes forever to get back to them!!!! Price for a new unit is $708 and wait time is 3 months.....
From what I can tell, there is a small "tit" on the bottom of the pump that when pushed in freewheels the hydro for moving by hand. When pulled out it engages the gears for normal operation. Well, the "tit" gets stuck and I THINK the previous owner operated it with it half stuck in. IF he did this it either sheared off the planetary gears of screwed them up in the process. Is this a something I should attempt to fix myself?
I'm considering pulling the wheel off and the "spindle" assembly to check the gears out and look for metal shavings, change the oil/filter and "somehow" order more gears.....
Do you think this is a plausable explanation without opening up the case? Is it difficult to get into? Who would you recommend do the work?
I DID call Fluid Motion and they can get a new one (from Eaton of course-what a monopoly) for $708 for me. Not sure what to do. How many hours do they usually get on them-this is a homeowners' mower NOT commercial...!
Thanks for any help!

Restrorob
08-12-2011, 07:17 AM
The bypass "tit" is just that, When pushed in it bypasses fluid flow so the unit can be pushed by hand. It has nothing to do with gear engagement. Most all pump/gearcase combos will make a small clicking noise when being pushed/turned by hand......

MoGreen
08-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Oh, okay..
So will I be able to take off the outer assembly without making a mess? I'm talking about just the outer "spindle" assembly without getting into the pump itself.
Thanks

Restrorob
08-12-2011, 10:26 PM
You should be able to remove the complete assembly from the unit then remove the pump from the gearcase, Then only open the gearcase for inspection/repair.

MoGreen
08-13-2011, 12:42 AM
That's what I thought. So where does someone like me find the parts that I need for repair? Does Eaton sell just the parts individually, or is it a "buy the whole thing" deal? I would imagine not.
BTW, disregard your PM restro, you answered the same question I had pm'ed you about. I have really enjoyed learning about the way the pump works and look forward to seeing what the owner before me screwed up. His wife said he did wheelies with it-NOT GOOD.
That's where I came to the conclusion of him screwing/stripping up the planetary gears....
I really appreciate your help!!

Restrorob
08-13-2011, 07:59 AM
So where does someone like me find the parts that I need for repair?

They do sell individual parts, Best I can tell you is locate your nearest distributor and contact them. I would hope they can tell you who your local dealer would be; http://web2.fluidpower.eaton.com/DistributorLocator/DistributorLocatorHyd.aspx

MoGreen
09-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I was able to rebuild it!!! It runs like a beast and I'm tickled to death.
I had the buy the parts from partstree.com and got them in 6 days instead of 8 weeks!!
Again, thanks. I learned a lot about a positive displacement pump and how it works and even what it looks like inside. Pretty cool learning experience!!! I have lots of pictures if anyone has any more problems with one and needs help. I could easily do it again in half of the time it took!

chrisg_ky
04-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I was able to rebuild it!!! It runs like a beast and I'm tickled to death.
I had the buy the parts from partstree.com and got them in 6 days instead of 8 weeks!!
Again, thanks. I learned a lot about a positive displacement pump and how it works and even what it looks like inside. Pretty cool learning experience!!! I have lots of pictures if anyone has any more problems with one and needs help. I could easily do it again in half of the time it took!

I am thinking of doing the same thing you have done. My mower was used for foreclosed yards. It also chatters and is very weak on the right side to the piont of almost not moving. I have downloaded the repair manual. also about how much did you to spend to repair.

jdfowl
07-15-2013, 10:30 PM
I was also having trouble with my hydraulic drive units, 778046 on the right and 778014 on the left. I was able to disassemble the entire unit, clean, reassemble, and put new fluid in them and the units now function great.

I wrote about the process: http://www.blog.basob.com/2013/07/hydraulic-lawnmower-pumpmotor-unit.html