PDA

View Full Version : Millennium Tall Fescue update

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2002, 09:08 PM
As some of you know, I had an itch to try a new fescue variety on atleast one of my seedings. I planted this stuff one a renovation I did on October 19th.

It has rained on it every day since I planted except for one. I was starting to worry a bit that it would have trouble germinating for lack of any sun shining on it to this point. The soil was barren and alkaline. I used 17-17-17 which I have never used for starter. So I was really worried about the situation and the choices I made this time around.

Well, I stopped by today to check the progress. Holly cow do we have germination!!! If any more sprouts up, I'll swear I got way more than average germination. So, all is well so far.

I'll keep you all updated on seedling vigor and establishment as things develop.

Now, I have NEVER ran into any alkaline soil here at all. Usually it's acidic if anything and requires lime application. Later on should I try to correct the PH? If so, what would be the best way to do so? This alkaline thing is a new one on me!

Envy Lawn Service
10-29-2002, 11:32 PM
No one wants to talk about alkaline soil???

Ryan Lightning
10-30-2002, 01:47 AM
Sulfer to lower PH
Lime to raise it
I like to use gypsum, with sulfer in it, on lawns once are twice a year on the small lawns, if they will pay for it!

Gravely_Man
10-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Please keep us posted on the outcome. I really like you volunteering to be the tester so that we can all learn from you rather then have to try this alone. Best of luck and please let us know how this turns out.

Gravely_Man

Envy Lawn Service
10-30-2002, 10:42 PM
I'm glad to pass along anything I try. This is a place to "share" information and experience and I'm glad to have it. We all should be.

At this point everything is progressing well. I have more germination and seedlings than before. I think it's going to be down right amazing what comes up after a few days of sunshine. But I've been very lucky with mother nature so far.

There is a serious threat of freezing over the next three nights. I hope it doesn't get cold enough to bite these young seedlings. I need all the good luck I can get!

The way things played out put this job later in the season than I normally seed. Does anyone know how "old" these seedlings have to be in order to survive a good frost? I'd like to have some idea of when I'll be "out of the water" on this one.

Envy Lawn Service
11-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Well, the seedlings have now survived several good frosts. I'm sure some of it will be lost in the end. But I'm surprised it has done so well.

Even though the seedlings are thin, they are very stiff and seem to have really good vigor so far. The thing that is a little odd to me is that the appearance of the lawn is a very lime green tint. I think another fertilize application is in order. But I'm not sure rather I'll do it or not.

Should I take a soil sample now and test it again??? I have my own kits for this and useually do a good bit of the testing myself.

Envy Lawn Service
11-24-2002, 07:25 PM
Ok, three weeks in, which was November 9th, I did the follow up fertilize application. I went with 17-17-17 again and also did an Ironite application.

Now it's 2 weeks later and I really don't see any change in color or growth. I guess the temperature has slowed things a bit. The seedlings still appear strong though and I've had a little more germination to help with some I lost to frost.

I'll post more info on applications and soil conditions in another thread. Slide on over and give me your 2 cents on things!