PDA

View Full Version : Mowing question

s.o.s mowing
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi everyone as i was mowing a clients lawn today i noticed that across the street my other client lawn was getting fertilized with a granular fertilizer and weeds were getting sprayed. Now my question is can i go over and mow that lawn even though it has just had fertilizer put down. It is a very thin grass that didn't even need to be cut. But thats my question. Thanks!

Pro-Lawn&Grounds
08-12-2011, 03:44 PM
yeah just don't bag ... its not like you'd be disturbing seed or anything its just fertilizer and weed killer it'll be fine ... just think about it ... if you didn't see them fertilizing you'd mow and go and wouldn't notice a thing ...

yardguy28
08-12-2011, 03:51 PM
pro lawn is correct IMO.

i'm not a pro on fertilizing and weed sprays, i'm not even licensed in my state and i don't do that as a service.

but if i've ever shown up on a property where i know they came that day. around my neck of the woods the flags they put in the yard have the date of service on them i just avoid bagging the lawn.

i don't see why it would hurt anything. and i've certainly never had a problem doing this.

JDiepstra
08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
You both answered incorrectly based on one of his last statements - "it is a very thin grass that didnt even need to be cut.

vencops
08-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Well, the fert. won't be an issue (being mowed over).

Now, as far as what was being sprayed.......that would determine whether or not it's a good idea to mow or not (immediately). A lot of postM labels call for NOT mowing for (____) days, after application.

I'd want to know what they sprayed, if I were you. The homeowner paid a fee to have his weeds sprayed. It would be a shame if you mowing affected the chemical's efficacy adversely.

Patriot Services
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
All right guys, it's called an MSDS sheet. Every fert or pest product I have read has some sort of inhalation risk and subsequent health effect. Do you really think the signs they have to put out by law are for proof of service or maybe something more vital?:usflag:

vencops
08-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Very few states require chemical applicators to post signs.

Patriot Services
08-12-2011, 07:53 PM
That's interesting, since it's a federal law.:usflag:

vencops
08-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Post it up. I'm sure it'll be easy to find a link.

This may help...

Federal Regulation of Herbicides

The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) established the basic system of pesticide regulation in the United States and is administered by the EPA. FIFRA governs the registration, distribution, sale, and use of pesticides nationwide and has several functions including:

•requires all pesticides sold or distributed in the United States to be registered with the EPA
•creates a classification system for pesticides based on toxicity
•allows states to regulate pesticide use
•requires certification for pesticide applicators

Patriot Services
08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
EPA defines "Reestricted Entry Intervals " as the time immediately following application of a pesticide when unprotected workers may not enter the treated area. The regulations state that:
•no unprotected person may be in the treated area during pesticide application.

•no pesticide application is to be permitted that will expose any person to pesticides, either directly or through drift, excepting those involved in the application.

•if labeling for worker reentry is more restrictive than the general standards specify, the label restrictions must be followed instead of the general regulations.

•when no reentry time is specified, treated areas can be reentered without protective clothing after the spray has dried or the dust has settled, unless the pesticide is exempt from reentry requirements.

•warnings of pesticide applications appropriate and timely to the situation are to be given to workers either through oral communication, by posting, or both. Warnings should be given in the language that can be understood by the workers involved

Speaks pretty clear to me.

JDiepstra
08-12-2011, 08:10 PM
That proves nothing

vencops
08-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm not going to argue with you about it.

It's not a federal requirement.

Patriot Services
08-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Not an arguement, a discussion. FIFRA spells out the minimum a state has to adhere to. The state can be stricter. The problem is lack of enforcement. We both agree its bad to mow right after an app. From the lawns health and our health perspective.:usflag:

vencops
08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
No. It's not a question of the states not enforcing federal law.

It's whether or not it is a federal law (posting signs - which is what we were "discussing").

Go to the pesticides forum and ask how many of those guys are REQUIRED to post signs, after applying.

Yes. Common ground is we agree one shouldn't mow immediately after pesticide/herbicide apps..

yardguy28
08-13-2011, 01:41 AM
You both answered incorrectly based on one of his last statements - "it is a very thin grass that didnt even need to be cut.

well unless your one of the clients that purchases my premium service, you as the client dictate when i cut the grass. thin or not.

if you don't call and cancel service on the weeks it doesn't need it or you don't want it cut, it gets cut. every client is made aware of that before i work for them.

All right guys, it's called an MSDS sheet. Every fert or pest product I have read has some sort of inhalation risk and subsequent health effect. Do you really think the signs they have to put out by law are for proof of service or maybe something more vital?:usflag:

well considering all the flags say is the company name and the date of service, i would say they ARE there for proof of service.

if it was to warn people of a health risk it should say something to that effect.

lifetree
08-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone, the information in this thread is very helpful !!

topsites
08-13-2011, 10:30 AM
That's interesting, since it's a federal law.:usflag:

More and more it's getting to the point, why even bother wasting time with explanations, they don't want to listen,
they like to argue with those of us who have learned things the hard way, we try and tell them but why...
What's the use?

Forty years, one eye, three fingers and two toes short later you think you can tell them how not to make the same mistakes?

These kids, they don't care that it says MSDS, to them it might as well say BSBS, until someone
gets seriously hurt or injured they'd apparently rather kill themselves before reading or listening.

So just let them figure it out on their own, it's sad but that's how it is, they don't want to hear it now,
they didn't want to hear it when we told them to stay in school, why is that, we didn't want to hear it when
our elders tried to tell us, and their children won't want to hear it when they try to tell them, so maybe it's a
sickness, probably contagious, who knows, but one things for sure, there ain't a whole lot of listening going on.

Peace out

vencops
08-13-2011, 01:37 PM
More and more it's getting to the point, why even bother wasting time with explanations, they don't want to listen,
they like to argue with those of us who have learned things the hard way, we try and tell them but why...
What's the use?

Forty years, one eye, three fingers and two toes short later you think you can tell them how not to make the same mistakes?

These kids, they don't care that it says MSDS, to them it might as well say BSBS, until someone
gets seriously hurt or injured they'd apparently rather kill themselves before reading or listening.

So just let them figure it out on their own, it's sad but that's how it is, they don't want to hear it now,
they didn't want to hear it when we told them to stay in school, why is that, we didn't want to hear it when
our elders tried to tell us, and their children won't want to hear it when they try to tell them, so maybe it's a
sickness, probably contagious, who knows, but one things for sure, there ain't a whole lot of listening going on.

Peace out

Who, now, are you trying to speak down your nose to, topsites?

If you're inferring that it's federal law to post signs after applying chemicals.......you're just plain wrong.