PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia goes Organic

phasthound
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
The Philadelphia Horticultural Society's Philadelphia Green Project has changed the specs on all bids for landscape maintenance. They are incorporating compost, AACT and OMRI listed products. Synthetic pesticides and fertilizers will no longer be allowed.

http://www.pennsylvaniahorticulturalsociety.org/phlgreen/about.html

dKoester
08-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Excellent news there!

DUSTYCEDAR
09-07-2011, 07:39 PM
good news.................

Smallaxe
09-07-2011, 10:38 PM
We just had a recent post in which the local gov't rescinded such a decision because the weeds took over... !!!

W/out a viable plan, it is NOT good news... it is embarrassing...

When people hear about the situation in the future and you say--- "I'm Organic!"... they'll decline... Is it possible that we Get Real ???

Dr.NewEarth
09-07-2011, 11:10 PM
We are now mostly organic here. It is frustrating at times, but getting easier to educate people that, they have to get used to some weeds in their lawns and gardens.
Pesticide use causes major health problems.

The control products available are just that, control. It was easier and cheaper in my opinion, with eradication products that only had to be sprayed responsibly
in passing once a year. (ie: 2-4,D)

It is more labor intensive to weed the gardens now. The problem is that the clients haven't caught up with the fact that their costs have to go up to compensate for the increased amount of work it takes to keep high profile areas looking pristine, as they have become acustomed to with herbicide use in the past.

I think the less aware landscapers will be underbidding for a while, until the industry
and clients catch up to the reality that there is more manual labor involved or an acceptance of more weeds in the lawns and gardens.

All of Canada will soon have a pesticide ban.

You can do your job well without pesticides. It's just going to be different.

Flame on!

Smallaxe
09-07-2011, 11:34 PM
We are now mostly organic here. It is frustrating at times, but getting easier to educate people that, they have to get used to some weeds in their lawns and gardens.
Pesticide use causes major health problems.

The control products available are just that, control. It was easier and cheaper in my opinion, with eradication products that only had to be sprayed responsibly
in passing once a year. (ie: 2-4,D)

It is more labor intensive to weed the gardens now. The problem is that the clients haven't caught up with the fact that their costs have to go up to compensate for the increased amount of work it takes to keep high profile areas looking pristine, as they have become acustomed to with herbicide use in the past.

I think the less aware landscapers will be underbidding for a while, until the industry
and clients catch up to the reality that there is more manual labor involved or an acceptance of more weeds in the lawns and gardens.

All of Canada will soon have a pesticide ban.

You can do your job well without pesticides. It's just going to be different.

Flame on!

Spot Spraying done properly, ensures that the 2,4d never moves beyond the target plant,,, THAT is a lot more sensible than telling the client... "You need to get used to the idea of paying more for less." that is just Kr@pp...

When Amerika says, OH MY, We Just can't Survive IPM, then call us Canadian...

We deserve it... :laugh:

Dr.NewEarth
09-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Have a good week.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-07-2011, 11:52 PM
i want to train my dogs to dig out the weeds

HayBay
09-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Pesticide use causes major health problems
We are now mostly Organic here

It's one thing to tell home owners and startup companies that pesticides kill and organics work but think about how people that have used pesticides most of their life will accept the lies and misinformation. This site has many members that really know how to maintain a weed free lawn safely and with the use of Health Canada Approved , EPA Approved products.

It is truly sad to see these statements on Lawnsite. I used to come here for good and reliable information at one time.

Remember we eat 2,4-D every day. How was your toast this morning. Or did you have cereal? Possibly an egg?

One good thing about the Philadelphia Horticultural Society's Philadelphia Green Project is that in 4 years we can see what the outcome is.

Others have tried and failed. What secrets do they have?